Poll: Where do you stand ethically/morally?
Ethical Egoism
Moral Relativism
Kantianism/Categorical Imperative
Utilitarianism
Emotivism
Hobbes' Social Contract Theory
Religious Based
Other
[Show Results]

Moral Philosophy: Where do you stand?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-05-2012, 11:26 AM (This post was last modified: 27-05-2012 12:39 PM by TrulyX.)
Moral Philosophy: Where do you stand?
I did my best to list and define the major philosophical, ethical/moral theories/ideologies; if you have a problem with one of my explanation/definitions, feel free to question and correct them as needed. I'm only human and don't have the best understanding of all of the theories, so in all likelihood, I misrepresented one or totally messed up one of the explanations.

Simple. Pick a moral/ethical theory that you think best defines your views on morality/ethics. It would be nice for anyone and everyone to answer, regardless of your knowledge or time spent thinking about the issue, and to give a brief explanation as to why you feel the way you do. I also would encourage anyone with their own personal views, or someone who likes a theory, or combination of theories, that I didn't post, to respond other, add that theory to the conversation, and move on from there.

Also, if you have a different view, in any way, on ethics, of government/politics, business, or even in general, than you do on morality, feel free to make and explain that distinction.

Ethical/Moral Egoism
- a person ought to, out of moral obligation, do what is in their own self-interest i.e. what is moral is determined by whether or not an action was in the self-interest of the person taking that course of action.

Ethical/Moral Relativism- the rightness or wrongness of an action is determined by a culture's and/or an individual's personal preferences.

Kantianism/Categorical Imperative- Kant's view that morality is based not on the consequences of an action nor on the preferences, or interests, of the person involved, but that, the only objective basis for moral value would be the rationality of the good will, expressed in recognition of moral duty.

"Act only according to that maxim whereby you can at the same time will
that it should become a universal law without contradiction."- First formulation of the Categorical Imperative

"Act in such a way that you treat humanity, whether in your own person or
in the person of any other, never merely as a means to an end, but
always at the same time as an end." - Second formulation of the Categorical Imperative

Utilitarianism- the rightness or wrongness of an action is determined by whether or not that course of action is the one that maximizes the overall happiness.

Emotivism- the view that moral judgments do not function as statements of fact but rather as expressions of emotional attitudes.

Hobbes' Social Contract Theory- based on the idea of a 'natural state/state of nature' in which any person has a natural right to the liberty to do anything he wills, and will do anything to preserve his own self-interest and life, and life is solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short and at constant war; to prevent this natural state, it's right to adopt a 'social contract' that everyone follows, on the grounds that others will also follow it, to maintain order and prevent constant state of war.

Religious Based- morality based on religious traditions and/or texts.

Other- any alternative theory I left out, a combination of the above theories and/or your own personal theory or views on ethics and morality.

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like TrulyX's post

Messages In This Thread
Moral Philosophy: Where do you stand? - TrulyX - 27-05-2012 11:26 AM