Poll: Where do you stand ethically/morally?
Ethical Egoism
Moral Relativism
Kantianism/Categorical Imperative
Utilitarianism
Emotivism
Hobbes' Social Contract Theory
Religious Based
Other
[Show Results]

Moral Philosophy: Where do you stand?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-06-2012, 07:27 AM
RE: Moral Philosophy: Where do you stand?
Interesting poll, personally my morals are based of a "for the good of the group and self" mentality. I do what ever I can to help those that matter to or are close me and expect assurance of safety and aid in return.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-06-2012, 08:46 AM
(10-06-2012 04:01 AM)Stevil Wrote:  I am from NZ, we are more liberal than the US on many points except for guns.
1/3rd of us are Atheists, most of the rest aren't particularly religious.
Prostitution is legal, but has only been so for a few years, homosexuality is legal, but unfortunately homosexual marriage is not, euthanasia is not legal and neither is polygamy. We were the first country in the world to give women the right to vote.

Everyone always wins their arguments.

Okay, I just didn't know what you were referring to when you kept talking about religion and their morality.

I wanted to say it wasn't that bad/it doesn't affect you much, but I didn't want to jump to conclusions by assuming you were from a country where religion wasn't that big of a deal.

For a second there, I started thinking you were from somewhere with very oppressive religious laws.

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
10-06-2012, 01:03 PM
(10-06-2012 08:46 AM)TrulyX Wrote:  Okay, I just didn't know what you were referring to when you kept talking about religion and their morality.

I wanted to say it wasn't that bad/it doesn't affect you much, but I didn't want to jump to conclusions by assuming you were from a country where religion wasn't that big of a deal.

For a second there, I started thinking you were from somewhere with very oppressive religious laws.
I guess I am lucky that I am not gay, but without the impact of religion and in particular Christianity and Islam, gay people wouldn't be treated as sub human today (even in my country).
I also guess I am lucky that I don't have some disease that requires stem cell research to find a cure, NZ is impacted in many ways with regards to the highly Christian bias of the US.
10-06-2012, 05:17 PM
(08-06-2012 06:28 PM)TrulyX Wrote:  Moral nihilism is morality doesn't inherently exist.
Amoralism is having an idea of what is moral and/or knowing right and wrong pretty well, but not caring to adhere to it.
I'm not sure where you get your definitions from, but where ever I look, these seem to be the same thing as each other
Moral nihilism (also known as ethical nihilism or amoralism) from ask.com
Moral nihilism (also known as ethical nihilism or amoralism) from Wikipedia
10-06-2012, 06:38 PM
(10-06-2012 05:17 PM)Stevil Wrote:  I'm not sure where you get your definitions from, but where ever I look, these seem to be the same thing as each other
Moral nihilism (also known as ethical nihilism or amoralism) from ask.com
Moral nihilism (also known as ethical nihilism or amoralism) from Wikipedia

Both of those definitions are from the same source.

You can disagree with the way I define them, but here is one book that describes amoralism.

http://books.google.com/books?id=yao1U_T...sm&f=false

Here are also some other definitions from various sites:

Quote:(philosophy) Doctrine which advocates ignoring moral issues and norms. - Wiktionary

being neither moral nor immoral ; specifically, lying outside the sphere to which moral judgments apply ; lacking moral sensibility- Webster

Not admitting of moral distinctions or judgments; neither moral nor immoral. | Lacking moral sensibility; not caring about right and wrong.- YourDictionary

not concerned with or amenable to moral judgments | not caring about good behavior or morals

Amorality is an absence of, indifference towards, or disregard for moral beliefs.- Wikipedia

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
17-06-2012, 07:00 PM
I chose ethical egoism. However, the point of Ayn Rand's version of rational, ethical egoism, (Objectivist ethics) is that one should not act out of a "moral obligation" in the sense of a "morality-for-its-own-sake", Kant-style duty, but out of a commitment to be happy. Acting on moral principles is a means to a flourishing, deeply happy life.

Blog: Objectivism for Intellectuals

My Introduction to Objectivism Playlist on YouTube Thumbsup

The Is/Ought Gap has been bridged: Read Viable Values by Dr. Tara Smith.
20-06-2012, 09:17 PM
Mostly, my moral views utilitarian, but my actual philosophy is "what doesn't hurt innocent people is fair game."