Poll: Would You Testify?
Testify
Refuse to Testify
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Moral Question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-11-2014, 05:31 PM
Moral Question
I though this up a few days ago. Let's say you SO/wife/partner (if you don't currently have one imagine you do) has committed a murder. You have vital testimony without out which they cannot be convicted. If convicted they face a 24 year prison term. Do you protect them or testify so justice can be done?

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Res Publica's post
09-11-2014, 05:34 PM
RE: Moral Question
I can't be forced to testify against my wife. Checkmate theists!!

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
09-11-2014, 05:35 PM
(09-11-2014 05:34 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  I can't be forced to testify against my wife. Checkmate theists!!

You have a point, but I don't think that's the point of this question...

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 2 users Like Im_Ryan's post
09-11-2014, 05:35 PM
I knew a woman who was in this situation and she decided to wash her hands of the situation entirely. She didn't act to protect him, but didn't cooperate with the police either. It was a much, much less serious crime though (her husband had robbed a post office with a banana hidden in a shopping bag... no really).

The problem with this is that in serious cases even if you do not protect the person the police will come down on you for not fully cooperating. I don't know what I'd do in the situation to be honest, morally, but if I was considering my own safety I would block out all information and willingly make myself ignorant of the situation...

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
09-11-2014, 05:37 PM
(09-11-2014 05:34 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  I can't be forced to testify against my wife. Checkmate theists!!

I know it may seem like having negative rep is just what happens to creationist members, but that only accounts for 99% of the time, so be careful :L

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
09-11-2014, 05:39 PM
A very similar dilemma appears in the book "The Reader" by Bernhard Schlink. There's also a film version of it I haven't seen, you should check it out. Book is always the most recommended.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
09-11-2014, 05:40 PM
I wouldn't be asked to testify by anyone.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

09-11-2014, 05:43 PM
What if your SO was Dexter?
He only kills 'bad guys'.
09-11-2014, 05:44 PM
Depends on who she killed and why.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 9 users Like Chas's post
09-11-2014, 05:52 PM
(09-11-2014 05:35 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  I knew a woman who was in this situation and she decided to wash her hands of the situation entirely. She didn't act to protect him, but didn't cooperate with the police either. It was a much, much less serious crime though (her husband had robbed a post office with a banana hidden in a shopping bag... no really).

The problem with this is that in serious cases even if you do not protect the person the police will come down on you for not fully cooperating. I don't know what I'd do in the situation to be honest, morally, but if I was considering my own safety I would block out all information and willingly make myself ignorant of the situation...

I don't know about Britain, but here in the US and Canada you have the right to remain silent.

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!