Poll: Would You Testify?
Testify
Refuse to Testify
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Moral Question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-11-2014, 05:53 PM
RE: Moral Question
(09-11-2014 05:52 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  
(09-11-2014 05:35 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  I knew a woman who was in this situation and she decided to wash her hands of the situation entirely. She didn't act to protect him, but didn't cooperate with the police either. It was a much, much less serious crime though (her husband had robbed a post office with a banana hidden in a shopping bag... no really).

The problem with this is that in serious cases even if you do not protect the person the police will come down on you for not fully cooperating. I don't know what I'd do in the situation to be honest, morally, but if I was considering my own safety I would block out all information and willingly make myself ignorant of the situation...

I don't know about Britain, but here in the US and Canada you have the right to remain silent.

We do here also, but if the police can prove you know anything they can get you on that.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-11-2014, 05:55 PM (This post was last modified: 09-11-2014 06:10 PM by Drunkin Druid.)
This is a bit hard.
I did make a promise to my wife so I must honour that. I made no such vows to the laws that govern the country. I guess it's important to consider the context of the murder.
09-11-2014, 06:01 PM
Consider

It would have made the divorce settlement a little easier.

Ah well, one can dream.

Angel

[+] 6 users Like DLJ's post
09-11-2014, 06:18 PM
(09-11-2014 05:37 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  
(09-11-2014 05:34 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  I can't be forced to testify against my wife. Checkmate theists!!

I know it may seem like having negative rep is just what happens to creationist members, but that only accounts for 99% of the time, so be careful :L

What the what?

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like WillHopp's post
09-11-2014, 06:22 PM
(09-11-2014 05:44 PM)Chas Wrote:  Depends on who she killed and why.

This. As with most moral questions, every nitty gritty detail counts IMO. Can't make a call on this one without A LOT more info.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 5 users Like Smercury44's post
09-11-2014, 06:29 PM
If it was MY husband - I would not testify, I would automatically assume that he was in the right. After all, I have known him for decades and I would trust him to have made the correct decision at the time.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 5 users Like Dom's post
09-11-2014, 07:03 PM
I'd only be qualified to act as a character witness unless I had some kind of specific insight on the crime or my spouses' motivation. If I have that kind of insight... I don't think I'd testify.

I believe in the justice system. I believe in rehabilitation and appropriate punishment for crimes. I also often fail to live up to my own ideals and frankly I wouldn't be able to be objective. So abstaining is the action I'm most comfortable with.

I'm just not sure if that's hypocrisy or not.

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
09-11-2014, 07:14 PM
Moved thread to the philosophy section as it didn't really seem to belong in the CC.

[Image: giphy.gif]
09-11-2014, 07:27 PM
You can't make me testify against my spouse in the US. There is no way in hell I would volunteer to testify against him unless the crime was against a child or of the nature of Dennis Raider. I know my husband, that's not a problem. If he went Dexter on some pedos, nope don't care, carry on.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 4 users Like Nurse's post
12-11-2014, 08:40 AM
To be honest it really depends on the circumstance. Was this murder "Justified"? Frankly i wouldn't testify because I'd more then likely be an accomplice anyway, having helped dispose of the body. Drinking Beverage

Besides I've studied numbers on police corruption and the STAGGERING amount of prosecutorial misconduct, and I would trust my wife far more then a asshole prosecutor. It's like that film, Law Abiding Citizen, it's really good but about 3/4 in the forget who the fucking villain of the film actually is (it's Jamie Foxx).

I also grew up in a place where stuff was not handled by police anyway. Tongue

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
[+] 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post