Poll: Would You Testify?
Testify
Refuse to Testify
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Moral Question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-11-2014, 08:53 AM
RE: Moral Question
(09-11-2014 07:27 PM)Nurse Wrote:  You can't make me testify against my spouse in the US. There is no way in hell I would volunteer to testify against him unless the crime was against a child or of the nature of Dennis Raider. I know my husband, that's not a problem. If he went Dexter on some pedos, nope don't care, carry on.

I might even provide an alibi Angel

but other details like....are we headed to divorce soon? what is his high paid, highly skilled attorney suggesting that I do? did he kill my child?

loads of questions that need answers before I decide which is the moral path.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
12-11-2014, 08:57 AM
I fall into the depends group. It really depends on the nature of the crime and surrounding circumstances.
[+] 1 user Likes wazzel's post
12-11-2014, 09:00 AM
This is a too loose hypothetical to really make a decision upon.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
12-11-2014, 09:28 AM
(09-11-2014 05:31 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  Do you protect them or testify so justice can be done?
My lover would come before justice.
[+] 1 user Likes TreeSapNest's post
12-11-2014, 04:37 PM
(09-11-2014 05:31 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  I though this up a few days ago. Let's say you SO/wife/partner (if you don't currently have one imagine you do) has committed a murder. You have vital testimony without out which they cannot be convicted. If convicted they face a 24 year prison term. Do you protect them or testify so justice can be done?
If there is a god then moral justice is his, her or its domain, not that of the courts.
If I were in this situation, I would ask myself "What benefit is there for me if my wife goes to jail?". If the benefits outweigh the detriments then I'd take the opportunity to testify.
I don't gravitate towards shooting myself in the foot in order to support some justice/moral ideal.
12-11-2014, 06:14 PM
I seen what ManlyGirl can do. I'm getting the fuck outta Dodge before I get Bobitted in my sleep. Bechased

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
13-11-2014, 09:22 AM (This post was last modified: 13-11-2014 09:41 AM by Deidre32.)
If I were involved with a guy who deliberately committed a violent or deadly crime(s)...I wouldn't want to stay with him, unless it was justifiably self defense. (And not George Zimmerman's definition of self defense for example) This is going with the OT, I'm assuming to mean that the SO committed the crime WHILE involved with me. (thus the reason for the OT question) It's not really a moral question for me, rather I just wouldn't trust someone like this.

I've been involved with bad guys, but I even have limits.

Be true to yourself. Heart
13-11-2014, 10:18 AM
Ja. Depends. I will trust my judgment, but I wouldn't rule out testifying if I think that is the right course of action.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
17-11-2014, 07:18 PM
(09-11-2014 05:31 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  I though this up a few days ago. Let's say you SO/wife/partner (if you don't currently have one imagine you do) has committed a murder. You have vital testimony without out which they cannot be convicted. If convicted they face a 24 year prison term. Do you protect them or testify so justice can be done?
In the United States ...

Prosecutor - The people call Mary X.

Defense - Objection. Mary X was the wife of the defendant on the day of the crime. A spouse cannot testify against the other spouse.

Prosecutor - Your honor, she is willing to testify.

Judge - That does not matter. Objection sustained. Call your next witness.

Prosecutor - The people rest, your honor.

Defense - We call Mary X.

Prosecutor - Objection. Defense has objected to Ms. X as a witness.

Judge - Overruled. A spouse may not testify against the other spouse buy may testify for him.

Defense - Ms. X, is you husband a man of good character?

Witness - He is.

Defense - Your witness.

Prosecutor - Ms. X, where was your husband on night of the murder?

Defense - Objection. Not covered in direct examination.

Judge - Sustained. Prosecution will limit its questions to subjects covered in direct examination.

So much for wife testifying against hubby. Cooperating with the police is another matter. She should get herself a lawyer. Said lawyer would probably advise her to cooperate with the police but to answer all their questions through him.

If the wife does not cooperate and does not get a lawyer she could be charged with obstruction of justice and accessory after the fact.

Sapere aude
[+] 1 user Likes f stop's post
17-11-2014, 09:45 PM (This post was last modified: 17-11-2014 09:49 PM by yakherder.)
Hell if it was justifiable I'll help her hide the body. And i can't even get her to hurt me just for fun even with my permission, so if she kills someone there's probably a good reason.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post