Moral absolutes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-03-2016, 08:14 AM
RE: Moral absolutes
(22-03-2016 08:13 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Would anyone disagree that showing and receiving love is objectively good?

Depends on how and to whom.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
22-03-2016, 08:19 AM
(22-03-2016 08:14 AM)pablo Wrote:  
(22-03-2016 08:13 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Would anyone disagree that showing and receiving love is objectively good?

Depends on how and to whom.
Well...we will have to define what kind of love we are talking about. Eros (erotic), philos (brotherly), agape (unconditional )
I was referring to agape love.
22-03-2016, 08:27 AM
(22-03-2016 08:19 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(22-03-2016 08:14 AM)pablo Wrote:  Depends on how and to whom.
Well...we will have to define what kind of love we are talking about. Eros (erotic), philos (brotherly), agape (unconditional )

How about eros with a child?
22-03-2016, 08:30 AM
I feel I almost got to something I might agree too... but then immediately did think it still has a flaw.

Because the thing people differ to murder/rape issues but then the whole circumstance of it being a gunpoint scenario could make it "morally" better or right to still do.

Well in a matter of seconds on reading the OP I thought, well how about blowing up the world, that's bad too. Well what if someone threatens to destroy the galaxy through a blackhole if you dont fire the deathstar and blow up 1 measy planet out of millions/billions.

okay, well then expand it deeper to a crazed point of saying, is destroying all that exists in all possible universes and realities the limit. If you destroyed them all is that an objectively or absolutely bad thing. So is that it? ..I'm still not sure because that would be based on thinking life/existence is itself a good thing. That it is absolutely a positive or right thing to have. I don't think there is anything every mind could agree upon as a moral good arch.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
22-03-2016, 08:31 AM
(22-03-2016 08:27 AM)pablo Wrote:  
(22-03-2016 08:19 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Well...we will have to define what kind of love we are talking about. Eros (erotic), philos (brotherly), agape (unconditional )

How about eros with a child?
No. But what about agape with a child? Like a mother's unconditional love for her newborn.
22-03-2016, 08:35 AM
(22-03-2016 08:31 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(22-03-2016 08:27 AM)pablo Wrote:  How about eros with a child?
No. But what about agape with a child? Like a mother's unconditional love for her newborn.

You mean like when a teen mother throws her baby in a dumpster?
22-03-2016, 08:35 AM
(22-03-2016 08:30 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  okay, well then expand it deeper to a crazed point of saying, is destroying all that exists in all possible universes and realities the limit. If you destroyed them all is that an objectively or absolutely bad thing. So is that it? ..I'm still not sure because that would be based on thinking life/existence is itself a good thing. That it is absolutely a positive or right thing to have. I don't think there is anything every mind could agree upon as a moral good arch.

Not to sound Nihilist, but I would argue that if the ultimate fate of the universe is to fade into blackness and the only thing we have to look forward to after death is nonexistence, why not?
22-03-2016, 08:36 AM
(22-03-2016 07:05 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  Do not kill a healthy newborn baby. Anyone disagree?

Yup. I disagree.

It's very easy to think of an example where this action was a good thing.

Drinking Beverage

22-03-2016, 08:37 AM
(22-03-2016 08:35 AM)pablo Wrote:  
(22-03-2016 08:31 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  No. But what about agape with a child? Like a mother's unconditional love for her newborn.

You mean like when a teen mother throws her baby in a dumpster?
She is not showing agape love for a newborn.
22-03-2016, 08:39 AM
(22-03-2016 08:37 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(22-03-2016 08:35 AM)pablo Wrote:  You mean like when a teen mother throws her baby in a dumpster?
She is not showing agape love for a newborn.

So there are exceptions to objective morality?