Moral dilemma

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-11-2013, 06:08 PM
Moral dilemma
So the sewer line to the street for our house is broken. It is still functional for now if we spend about $1000/year getting the line cleared every once in a while.

The city water department is unaware at this point, and has sent me three separate letters trying to get me to sign up for their sewer line repair insurance. They are aware through city records that our sewer line is very old.

My husband and I live I'd say... A little better than paycheck to paycheck. Bottom end of middle class maybe? We aren't hurting, pay our bills on time, but definitely have a budget. We always get a little extra money at the end of the year with work bonuses and tax refunds, then use this money throughout the following year to keep credit card debt low, and cover unexpected expenses.

My dilemma. The cost for us to fix the sewer lines would wipe out this entire windfall, and we'd still have to save up and pinch pennies pretty tight in order to get the line fixed sometime late next summer. I want to fix it right away rather than throw money at it to keep the line clear, making it harder to save the money, and ultimately costing more in the long run. We also want to try for a baby soon..

Would it be completely evil for me to sign up for the insurance and get the line fixed using this insurance next year? Looks like their program could save us nearly 95% of the cost. My gut says yes, I'd be an awful person. I already know it needs repair. Weeping please help!!

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-11-2013, 06:23 PM
RE: Moral dilemma
(20-11-2013 06:08 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Would it be completely evil for me to sign up for the insurance and get the line fixed using this insurance next year? Looks like their program could save us nearly 95% of the cost. My gut says yes, I'd be an awful person. I already know it needs repair. Weeping please help!!

If you stick to the insurance after it's repaired you'll ultimately pay them back - problem solved? Are you sure already damaged sewer lines are covered?
20-11-2013, 06:28 PM
(20-11-2013 06:23 PM)Vipa Wrote:  
(20-11-2013 06:08 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Would it be completely evil for me to sign up for the insurance and get the line fixed using this insurance next year? Looks like their program could save us nearly 95% of the cost. My gut says yes, I'd be an awful person. I already know it needs repair. Weeping please help!!

If you stick to the insurance after it's repaired you'll ultimately pay them back - problem solved? Are you sure already damaged sewer lines are covered?

That's just it, they don't know it is broken, and there seems to be nothing in the offer that indicates they plan to inspect before giving me the insurance. And it is like $4 per month. It would take YEARS to pay that back, but you do give me a loophole. If I keep the insurance until I've paid most of it back... It would be IMMENSELY easier on our budget than paying up front ourselves.... Consider

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
20-11-2013, 06:38 PM
Poop on neighbors lawn not an option?

If there is no sewer line inspection beforehand, just go with the insurance route... There ARE definitely degrees of immoral acts, and I can't see this one being all that bad.
20-11-2013, 06:39 PM
(20-11-2013 06:28 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  
(20-11-2013 06:23 PM)Vipa Wrote:  If you stick to the insurance after it's repaired you'll ultimately pay them back - problem solved? Are you sure already damaged sewer lines are covered?

That's just it, they don't know it is broken, and there seems to be nothing in the offer that indicates they plan to inspect before giving me the insurance. And it is like $4 per month. It would take YEARS to pay that back, but you do give me a loophole. If I keep the insurance until I've paid most of it back... It would be IMMENSELY easier on our budget than paying up front ourselves.... Consider

I think you should go for it. It is probably in their interest to maintain a functioning city which is why they didn't ask and are simply offering.
The very nature of insurances is based on large numbers; The more people pay the better and their risks are calculated as long as the sewer system as a whole won't collapse over night at least Tongue
20-11-2013, 06:42 PM
Just double checked the most recent letter. Basically all I have to do is sign and date a slip of paper and they'll start adding the fee to my monthly bill. No inspection required

That's true. They are all going to make money, anyway. No on will lose money. It will make work for some people.
My question is : "If you were Japanese, how would you say "moral dilemma ?"

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
It's admirable that you consider the ethics of this situation.

However, I don't see that there is any problem with getting the insurance.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
20-11-2013, 06:43 PM
(20-11-2013 06:42 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  That's true. They are all going to make money, anyway. No on will lose money. It will make work for some people.
My question is : "If you were Japanese, how would you say "moral dilemma ?"

Moraru Diremma Tongue
[+] 2 users Like Vipa's post
20-11-2013, 08:20 PM
Obamacare covers pre-existing conditions so maybe this government insurance plan does as well. Have you read the policy yet? If it explicitly says it doesn't cover pre-existing conditions, then yes you are committing fraud by signing up and have them fix it for you.

Also how do you know the line is actually broken and not clogging up possibly because your husband is a serial killer who flushes chopped up body parts down the toilet?