Moral dilemma

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-11-2013, 08:24 PM
RE: Moral dilemma
Just do it, the actual damage is minimum to anybody and you'll get to not be broke. This dilemma is based on some abstract BS morality, just do it and enjoy it, the world will survive

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
20-11-2013, 08:27 PM
(20-11-2013 08:20 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Also how do you know the line is actually broken and not clogging up possibly because your husband is a serial killer who flushes chopped up body parts down the toilet?

The line was inspected with a camera. So whew! No body parts down there.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
20-11-2013, 09:25 PM
(20-11-2013 06:42 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Just double checked the most recent letter. Basically all I have to do is sign and date a slip of paper and they'll start adding the fee to my monthly bill. No inspection required

Go for it. But on another note, are you sure you want to try for a baby with your financial situation? Babies cost, and they eventually think for themselves...

"I like theories you can test."
-- Sheldon Glashow

When in doubt, eat chocolate.
If doubt persists, have a hot fudge sundae.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-11-2013, 09:30 PM
(20-11-2013 09:25 PM)dclarion Wrote:  
(20-11-2013 06:42 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Just double checked the most recent letter. Basically all I have to do is sign and date a slip of paper and they'll start adding the fee to my monthly bill. No inspection required

Go for it. But on another note, are you sure you want to try for a baby with your financial situation? Babies cost, and they eventually think for themselves...

Yeah, like I said we are ok financially, but not well off. If we waited to be well off, we'd never have a kid. There is never a perfect time to do so... And honestly that part wasn't part of my question Wink

As for learning to think for themselves... That's a good thing. Not sure where you were going there?

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
21-11-2013, 05:56 AM
(20-11-2013 09:25 PM)dclarion Wrote:  

This was really fucking rude...
Obviously your parents never taught you a lesson on when shut the hell up.
The decision for THEM to have a baby or not is none of your god damn business.
And besides, with the careful consideration that has been taken as to get sewer insurance or not I'm fairly confident Smercury know's what the fuck she's doing.

As for the sewer insurance, go for it. Especially if you're getting the repair like next year (It'd look dodgy if you got the repair the day after getting the insurance...).
Besides, like you say, they know it's an old line anyway. That's probably why they're offering the insurance, it's a way of replacing the old line in a way that they don't have to go through and replace it all at once they can replace it as it needs to be replaced. They wouldn't offer it if they didn't expect people would need it.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
21-11-2013, 04:38 PM
I may have an informed take on this. I am a Public Works professional, Public Utilities is another department from PW and their funding tends to be different. I do pay attention to local government stuff.

Water and sewer districts have (in recent years) been given mandates to reduce illicit discharges or face penalties. I believe that, along with those mandates, they are given incentives to improve the current infrastructure.

They may not know that YOUR pipes are damaged. They do know that a LOT of pipes are and they are prepared (to the extent that bureaucrats can plan) for the costs associated with this insurance plan. Like all insurances, the bet is that there are more people who will have no need for services than do.

Please sign up for the insurance. You might be surprised that your problem is less challenging than the people who have looked into it have indicated. Sewer lines are very straight forward. Pipes with enough elevation change to literally keep the shit rolling down hill. If a section is broken, the toughest part is digging the hole to make the repairs.

Even with your prior knowledge of the problem, I think you should have no dilemma with this.
21-11-2013, 04:40 PM
[Image: 2n24psl.jpg]

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
21-11-2013, 04:54 PM
(21-11-2013 05:56 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(20-11-2013 09:25 PM)dclarion Wrote:  Go for it. But on another note, are you sure you want to try for a baby with your financial situation? Babies cost, and they eventually think for themselves...

This was really fucking rude...
It was a forward, unwelcomed piece of advice. But it wasn't unreasonable. And it IS something that people should think about before reproducing (that many don't). Not saying that Smercury hasn't.

Also, I vote for getting the insurance Thumbsup
21-11-2013, 04:55 PM
(21-11-2013 05:56 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  This was really fucking rude...
And besides, with the careful consideration that has been taken as to get sewer insurance or not I'm fairly confident Smercury know's what the fuck she's doing.

Earmuffs, my hero Smile I'm too polite for my own good sometimes I think Angel

Thank you all (well most Dodgy ) for the awesome advice! I feel much better now. I think I can sign up for the insurance with a clear conscience. I forgot to add: We've been wanting to pave our driveway since we bought the house, and since they will digging up our gravel drive to do the work, we wanted to pave it when they are done. I think we will be able to afford taking that hit now!! Big Grin

[+] 2 users Like Smercury44's post
21-11-2013, 05:01 PM
(21-11-2013 04:55 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  
(21-11-2013 05:56 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  This was really fucking rude...

Earmuffs, my hero Smile I'm too polite for my own good sometimes I think Angel

Thank you all (well most Dodgy ) for the awesome advice! I feel much better now. I think I can sign up for the insurance with a clear conscience. I forgot to add: We've been wanting to pave our driveway since we bought the house, and since they will digging up our gravel drive to do the work, we wanted to pave it when they are done. I think we will be able to afford taking that hit now!! Big Grin

I suggest you not pave your driveway until a year after the digging is done - there will be a lot of settling/subsidence.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post