Moral dilemma

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-11-2013, 05:05 PM
RE: Moral dilemma
Crap, really? It will probably stay gravel for another five years then. I see your point though, all that dirt will take a while to get packed back down.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-11-2013, 09:38 PM
No. Unless they do a horrible job, there will be some initial settling, then it will be ready. You'll see an indent where the trench is at some point, fill it, ride over it with your car for a few weeks, then pave it.

Ask your paving contractor to hit that spot with a plate tamp a bit before installing the asphalt and you'll be okay.

Unless whoever make the repair does one horribly shitty job (pun intended) with back filling or it rains like hell when the trench is open, this shouldn't be a problem.
[+] 1 user Likes Regular_Joe's post
21-11-2013, 10:24 PM
Haha thanks joe! Thumbsup

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
23-11-2013, 03:39 PM (This post was last modified: 23-11-2013 03:51 PM by GirlyMan.)
(21-11-2013 04:38 PM)Regular_Joe Wrote:  I may have an informed take on this. I am a Public Works professional, Public Utilities is another department from PW and their funding tends to be different. I do pay attention to local government stuff.

Water and sewer districts have (in recent years) been given mandates to reduce illicit discharges or face penalties. I believe that, along with those mandates, they are given incentives to improve the current infrastructure.

They may not know that YOUR pipes are damaged. They do know that a LOT of pipes are and they are prepared (to the extent that bureaucrats can plan) for the costs associated with this insurance plan. Like all insurances, the bet is that there are more people who will have no need for services than do.

Please sign up for the insurance. You might be surprised that your problem is less challenging than the people who have looked into it have indicated. Sewer lines are very straight forward. Pipes with enough elevation change to literally keep the shit rolling down hill. If a section is broken, the toughest part is digging the hole to make the repairs.

Even with your prior knowledge of the problem, I think you should have no dilemma with this.

If it's just a break or crack in the line, why can't a plumber just run a PVC insert in to cover it instead of digging it up? Does that violate code or something?

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.