Moral or Ethical Dilemma's, Q & A's

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-04-2016, 07:42 AM
Moral or Ethical Dilemma's, Q & A's
There is a huge range of moral and/or ethical ideals in the world because people are varied and environmentally and socially influenced from many cultures. I thought it might be interesting to see that played out in a variety of Q & A's on moral or ethical events/scenarios/dilemma's and see where that takes us.

This thread is not designed to be judgmental, so lets keep it as a POV lesson. I like challenging my POV and since we have such a wide geographical and socioeconomically varied mix on TTA I thought this would be a good place to learn from cultures other than our own microcosms.

Hopefully the questions and answers will get more complex and thought provoking as we go along. Feel free to answer any question, post your own dilemma or both.

You have witnessed a major natural disaster: As you were out driving and getting ready to cross the dam of a huge lake the earth starts to shake and you realize an earthquake is happening. After getting to safety, you call 911 to report cracks forming in the dam, then you grab your camera and start filming. You capture the moment when the dam fails and water floods the riverbed and parkland sweeping away people below the dam and foreseeably many others downstream. The footage is amazing, if nauseating, in it's destruction.

Eventually the news teams show up and suddenly you realize that your video is the only footage of this mega disaster and the news media wants it now.

Do you give it up for free because it's news or do you negotiate to the highest bidder? It will be one of history's major natural disaster films of all time, seen by billions of people and your name will forever be attached to it but if you give it up you will only be credited with the video, the news company will make all the money off of it. However; if you sell it, everyone will know you sold the news event of a lifetime (as well as the death of those victims) for cash.

Do you sell or donate? Why/why not?

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Heatheness's post
16-04-2016, 08:25 AM
RE: Moral or Ethical Dilemma's, Q & A's
I see no dilemma here, as no is is harmed, with either choice.

BTW, a REALLY great idea for a thread. Thumbsup
After this topic, i have one to post.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
16-04-2016, 08:27 AM
(16-04-2016 07:42 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  Do you sell or donate? Why/why not?

first inclination...

Neither. I license it to the news media because those vultures are going to use it to make money and them showing it won't undo the disaster or help anybody. I allow free access to any legitimate group involved in investigating dam safety and new construction methods to reduce the odds of it happening again.

It will certainly get out but until it does I don't see morbid curiosity as a moral or ethical demand on my property.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 5 users Like unfogged's post
16-04-2016, 08:30 AM
(16-04-2016 07:42 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  ...
we have such a wide geographical and socioeconomically varied mix on TTA I thought this would be a good place to learn from cultures other than our own microcosms.

You have witnessed a major natural disaster: As you were out driving and getting ready to cross the dam of a huge lake the earth starts to shake and you realize an earthquake is happening. After getting to safety, you call 911 to report cracks forming in the dam, then you grab your camera and start filming. You capture the moment when the dam fails and water floods the riverbed and parkland sweeping away people below the dam and foreseeably many others downstream. The footage is amazing, if nauseating, in its destruction.

Neither.

The footage might be useful for DR purposes so I would give it to the emergency services people / relevant authority to improve future governance.

Then again, it's not a realistic scenario as a) I wouldn't be driving and b) I wouldn't dial 911.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
16-04-2016, 08:33 AM
(16-04-2016 08:25 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I see no dilemma here, as no is is harmed, with either choice.

BTW, a REALLY great idea for a thread. Thumbsup
After this topic, i have one to post.

No, no real harm but making money off of other people's grief and disaster is distasteful to me. Not sure I could do it even though I know the news people would be making tons of it. IDK, I'd want to for sure, who wouldn't want a big windfall but not sure I could do it or enjoy it if I did. This would be hard for me. I might feel better f I took it and then donated to help the victims or something like that. It's the profiting off of grief that I have an issue with. Guess that's one reason I never liked church. lol

And you can post yours anytime. Posters can pick and choose what they want to answer. Thx Smile

[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
16-04-2016, 08:34 AM
(16-04-2016 07:42 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  There is a huge range of moral and/or ethical ideals in the world because people are varied and environmentally and socially influenced from many cultures. I thought it might be interesting to see that played out in a variety of Q & A's on moral or ethical events/scenarios/dilemma's and see where that takes us.

This thread is not designed to be judgmental, so lets keep it as a POV lesson. I like challenging my POV and since we have such a wide geographical and socioeconomically varied mix on TTA I thought this would be a good place to learn from cultures other than our own microcosms.

Hopefully the questions and answers will get more complex and thought provoking as we go along. Feel free to answer any question, post your own dilemma or both.

You have witnessed a major natural disaster: As you were out driving and getting ready to cross the dam of a huge lake the earth starts to shake and you realize an earthquake is happening. After getting to safety, you call 911 to report cracks forming in the dam, then you grab your camera and start filming. You capture the moment when the dam fails and water floods the riverbed and parkland sweeping away people below the dam and foreseeably many others downstream. The footage is amazing, if nauseating, in it's destruction.

Eventually the news teams show up and suddenly you realize that your video is the only footage of this mega disaster and the news media wants it now.

Do you give it up for free because it's news or do you negotiate to the highest bidder? It will be one of history's major natural disaster films of all time, seen by billions of people and your name will forever be attached to it but if you give it up you will only be credited with the video, the news company will make all the money off of it. However; if you sell it, everyone will know you sold the news event of a lifetime (as well as the death of those victims) for cash.

I live by the trader principle. If I've produced something of value, why should I give it up. This is straight up, the morality of self sacrifice that this question assumes as its basis. Giving away the value I've produced would not change the fact that the dam has burst or bring the people back. I've produced a record of what happened that others place value on, I'd sell it for as much as I could get. The news people and I would settle on a price. The price would be more than the video is worth to me and less than the video is worth to the news crew. This is mutual exchange to mutual benefit and it should be the model for all Human interactions.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 2 users Like true scotsman's post
16-04-2016, 08:41 AM
(16-04-2016 08:30 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(16-04-2016 07:42 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  ...
we have such a wide geographical and socioeconomically varied mix on TTA I thought this would be a good place to learn from cultures other than our own microcosms.

You have witnessed a major natural disaster: As you were out driving and getting ready to cross the dam of a huge lake the earth starts to shake and you realize an earthquake is happening. After getting to safety, you call 911 to report cracks forming in the dam, then you grab your camera and start filming. You capture the moment when the dam fails and water floods the riverbed and parkland sweeping away people below the dam and foreseeably many others downstream. The footage is amazing, if nauseating, in its destruction.

Neither.

The footage might be useful for DR purposes so I would give it to the emergency services people / relevant authority to improve future governance.

Then again, it's not a realistic scenario as a) I wouldn't be driving and b) I wouldn't dial 911.

Not a realistic scenario? Yes it happens, re: tsunami videos, dam break videos and other disasters caught on tape.

It may not be relative to you but it is realistic.

16-04-2016, 08:50 AM
I immediately asked myself "What would Barney Elliott do?" And as I googled around now I'm like "What did Barney Elliott do?"

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
16-04-2016, 08:51 AM
(16-04-2016 08:41 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(16-04-2016 08:30 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Neither.

Not a realistic scenario? Yes it happens, re: tsunami videos, dam break videos and other disasters caught on tape.

What is it with you Murikans and irony?

You asked us foreigners to think locally and then told us we'd dial 911.

Weeping

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
16-04-2016, 08:54 AM
(16-04-2016 08:51 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(16-04-2016 08:41 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  Not a realistic scenario? Yes it happens, re: tsunami videos, dam break videos and other disasters caught on tape.

What is it with you Murikans and irony?

You asked us foreigners to think locally and then told us we'd dial 911.

Weeping

Hahaha... come on, cut me some slack. You know I meant emergency services and was just too lazy to spell it out. *geesh, now I need a nap* Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post