Moral or Ethical Dilemma's, Q & A's

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-04-2016, 06:06 PM
RE: Moral or Ethical Dilemma's, Q & A's
Here's my hypothetical:

You're a young, pregnant woman in the 38th week of your pregnancy, and you're involved in a serious motor vehicle accident, and critically injured. It's determined that your unborn baby is still alive and healthy. To save the baby's life, surgeons must deliver it immediately by caesarean section, but doing so will overstress your circulatory and respiratory system, and the prognosis is your certain death.

So... do you let them proceed with the caesarean section and guarantee your baby's life, or do you refuse it in order to survive yourself. You have a husband, but no other children, and your husband wants you to let the baby die in order that you survive. Your own gut feeling is at odds with this, because you're so badly injured that you'd prefer to let the baby live.

Additionally, does your husband have any ultimate say in this, or is it your sole decision?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-04-2016, 07:55 PM
(16-04-2016 06:06 PM)SYZ Wrote:  Here's my hypothetical:

You're a young, pregnant woman in the 38th week of your pregnancy, and you're involved in a serious motor vehicle accident, and critically injured. It's determined that your unborn baby is still alive and healthy. To save the baby's life, surgeons must deliver it immediately by caesarean section, but doing so will overstress your circulatory and respiratory system, and the prognosis is your certain death.

So... do you let them proceed with the caesarean section and guarantee your baby's life, or do you refuse it in order to survive yourself. You have a husband, but no other children, and your husband wants you to let the baby die in order that you survive. Your own gut feeling is at odds with this, because you're so badly injured that you'd prefer to let the baby live.

Additionally, does your husband have any ultimate say in this, or is it your sole decision?

I would save myself and if it was my daughter or some other young woman and they asked my opinion on their like situation it would be the same. The baby is not born yet whereas the woman is alive, with people who love and need her and other children may be born or adopted to the couple in the future. I have no qualms about this decision for me. If I am alive now and can be saved I would choose that. If some might think it selfish I would not give two shits.

No, the husband has no say if the woman chooses her life or the babies. It's still her say.

This is similar to the scenario "if your mother was drowning and so was you child and you could only save one who would you save", the logic being you only have one mother but other children could be created. Of course this scenario doesn't account for having a terrible mother so that could change the decision.

OTOH, if it were a choice between my life and my children or grandchildren no question, I'd sacrifice in a heartbeat. Easy peasey.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 6 users Like Heatheness's post
16-04-2016, 09:30 PM
(16-04-2016 07:55 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(16-04-2016 06:06 PM)SYZ Wrote:  Here's my hypothetical:

I would save myself and if it was my daughter or some other young woman and they asked my opinion on their like situation it would be the same. The baby is not born yet whereas the woman is alive, with people who love and need her and other children may be born or adopted to the couple in the future. I have no qualms about this decision for me. If I am alive now and can be saved I would choose that. If some might think it selfish I would not give two shits.

No, the husband has no say if the woman chooses her life or the babies. It's still her say.

This is similar to the scenario "if your mother was drowning and so was you child and you could only save one who would you save", the logic being you only have one mother but other children could be created. Of course this scenario doesn't account for having a terrible mother so that could change the decision.

OTOH, if it were a choice between my life and my children or grandchildren no question, I'd sacrifice in a heartbeat. Easy peasey.

How is it even a question as to whether the husband or the mother dictate who gets to live, wife or baby? From my (admittedly male) perspective, I'd want to live. I wouldn't expect any different from other people, but I have heard of cases. It's the woman's choice, no one else's.

As for the second part, "Throw Momma from the Train" comes to mind. Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
17-04-2016, 05:54 AM
I'd sell the footage to the highest bidder, and abort the fetus (save myself), and perhaps also sell the aborted fetus to the highest bidder.
[+] 3 users Like Matt Finney's post
17-04-2016, 08:21 AM
sell the footage. i doubt anyone would begrudge me, or even care that i was the one who filmed it.
[+] 2 users Like Dark Wanderer's post
17-04-2016, 11:23 AM
Question: In the USA, there were 977,000 abortions in 2014 alone and over 58 million since Roe v Wade was enacted. Dom posed an "embryo incubator" to end abortions in her thread on what she wanted to see invented but I have some questions on this that I didn't want to derail her thread.

If an embryo incubator could be invented:

What would you do with all the babies grown from those saved embryos? Obviously adoption would be the main course of action but what if some babies didn't get adopted?

Would you keep them all regardless of the health of the embryo?

How & when would you decide?

If the embryos were given up by the mother to this futuristic, Embryo Incubating Center, would she still have rights to them if she changed her mind?

If "no", why not?

Would she have say in who adopted her embryo?

Would the father have say once the embryo left her body?

17-04-2016, 11:43 AM
Selling footage of a natural disaster is not the same as selling footage of suffering. They aren't necessarily the same thing.

The pregnancy dilemma is unrealistic, IMO. C-sections can be done in a couple minutes with spinal anesthesia, (not much stress). Presumably the couple wanted the baby, and are in synch with their views, and have talked about the situation. They wouldn't necessarily have differing opinions. But in the end, if it really is as presented, the woman decides.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
17-04-2016, 11:51 AM
(17-04-2016 11:43 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Selling footage of a natural disaster is not the same as selling footage of suffering. They aren't necessarily the same thing.

The pregnancy dilemma is unrealistic, IMO. C-sections can be done in a couple minutes with spinal anesthesia, (not much stress). Presumably the couple wanted the baby, and are in synch with their views, and have talked about the situation. They wouldn't necessarily have differing opinions. But in the end, if it really is as presented, the woman decides.

Yeah, the pregnancy thing isn't realistic. If the trauma if delivery would kill then she'd be dead because at 38 weeks in a few days that baby would have to come out one way or another. I answered it as is though, because the author set the stage, I guess to see if there were people who would or would not sacrifice themselves for an unborn fetus. I'm honest, like it or not, no.

Bucky: you said you had one for us. Smile

[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
17-04-2016, 12:08 PM
(17-04-2016 11:51 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(17-04-2016 11:43 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Selling footage of a natural disaster is not the same as selling footage of suffering. They aren't necessarily the same thing.

Yeah, the pregnancy thing isn't realistic. If the trauma if delivery would kill then she'd be dead because at 38 weeks in a few days that baby would have to come out one way or another. I answered it as is though, because the author set the stage, I guess to see if there were people who would or would not sacrifice themselves for an unborn fetus. I'm honest, like it or not, no.

Alla said her beliefs make her happy. Therefore they are good, and she has no reason to question that which makes her happy.
What say you all ?
Is Utilitarianism a valid ethic ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
17-04-2016, 12:21 PM
(17-04-2016 12:08 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(17-04-2016 11:51 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  Yeah, the pregnancy thing isn't realistic. If the trauma if delivery would kill then she'd be dead because at 38 weeks in a few days that baby would have to come out one way or another. I answered it as is though, because the author set the stage, I guess to see if there were people who would or would not sacrifice themselves for an unborn fetus. I'm honest, like it or not, no.

Alla said her beliefs make her happy. Therefore they are good, and she has no reason to question that which makes her happy.
What say you all ?
Is Utilitarianism a valid ethic ?

I'd have to say no. What if killing people made you happy? If fact I would say that if you found something that made you happy it behooves you to question it for all it's worth to makes sure it's not just a selfish desire being sated. I would take issue with that POV.

[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post