Moral or Ethical Dilemma's, Q & A's

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-04-2016, 12:36 PM
RE: Moral or Ethical Dilemma's, Q & A's
(17-04-2016 12:08 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(17-04-2016 11:51 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  Yeah, the pregnancy thing isn't realistic. If the trauma if delivery would kill then she'd be dead because at 38 weeks in a few days that baby would have to come out one way or another. I answered it as is though, because the author set the stage, I guess to see if there were people who would or would not sacrifice themselves for an unborn fetus. I'm honest, like it or not, no.

Bucky: you said you had one for us. Smile

Alla said her beliefs make her happy. Therefore they are good, and she has no reason to question that which makes her happy.
What say you all ?
Is Utilitarianism a valid ethic ?

Depends on how one defines 'good.' Morality is not objective, therefore anything can be a 'valid ethic.' However If you asked me whether I thought a conviction that makes one happy is necessarily morally good, my own subjective morality would have me say, "no, happiness is irrelevant in determining good and bad."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Gilgamesh's post
17-04-2016, 12:53 PM
Definitely sell the video. The more money, the better. I really need the money and me selling it doesn't mean I was insensitive to the people who died, nor does it change what happened. I'm not harming anyone anyway.

And I let the baby die. I don't think making him/her grow up without a mother is a much better prospect. Nor is having to grow up knowing that their birth caused my death.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 4 users Like undergroundp's post
17-04-2016, 07:51 PM
(17-04-2016 11:23 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  What would you do with all the babies grown from those saved embryos? Obviously adoption would be the main course of action but what if some babies didn't get adopted?

[Image: space_marines_warhammer_40000-wide.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like Dark Wanderer's post
18-04-2016, 11:39 AM
(17-04-2016 07:51 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  
(17-04-2016 11:23 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  What would you do with all the babies grown from those saved embryos? Obviously adoption would be the main course of action but what if some babies didn't get adopted?

[Image: space_marines_warhammer_40000-wide.jpg]

Well, once they reach seven or so we can put them through the blood sports to choose who are good enough to become Space Marines. Until then we'll just need to send them to a Schola to train for it.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
18-04-2016, 01:01 PM
(17-04-2016 11:23 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  ...
What would you do with all the babies grown from those saved embryos?

[Image: atheism-eating-babies.jpg]

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
23-04-2016, 11:44 AM
In the not too distant you are working as a programmer for software that will go into a new "self driving" car. You have to program how the car will respond in the following situation:

A pedestrian runs out into the path of the car, the car calculates that it can't brake in time to avoid hitting the pedestrian and severely injuring them . If the car tries to avoid colliding with him its only choice would be to swerve the car into a wall (or off a cliff or something) severely injuring the occupant of the car.

Do you program it to make the occupant of the car it's first or only responsibility, or do you program it to calculate (somehow) the outcome with the best chance of survival for both people. What is the car manufacturers ethical and/or legal obligation.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
23-04-2016, 11:52 AM
(23-04-2016 11:44 AM)unsapien Wrote:  In the not too distant you are working as a programmer for software that will go into a new "self driving" car. You have to program how the car will respond in the following situation:

A pedestrian runs out into the path of the car, the car calculates that it can't brake in time to avoid hitting the pedestrian and severely injuring them . If the car tries to avoid colliding with him its only choice would be to swerve the car into a wall (or off a cliff or something) severely injuring the occupant of the car.

Do you program it to make the occupant of the car it's first or only responsibility, or do you program it to calculate (somehow) the outcome with the best chance of survival for both people. What is the car manufacturers ethical and/or legal obligation.

You program it to try to minimize the impact to the pedestrian, (who was an idiot for running out in front of the car) ... but the question amounts to "should the person causing the situation by carelessness be allowed to cause the death of the driver ?"
The answer is no.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
23-04-2016, 12:30 PM
(16-04-2016 07:42 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  There is a huge range of moral and/or ethical ideals in the world because people are varied and environmentally and socially influenced from many cultures. I thought it might be interesting to see that played out in a variety of Q & A's on moral or ethical events/scenarios/dilemma's and see where that takes us.

This thread is not designed to be judgmental, so lets keep it as a POV lesson. I like challenging my POV and since we have such a wide geographical and socioeconomically varied mix on TTA I thought this would be a good place to learn from cultures other than our own microcosms.

Hopefully the questions and answers will get more complex and thought provoking as we go along. Feel free to answer any question, post your own dilemma or both.

You have witnessed a major natural disaster: As you were out driving and getting ready to cross the dam of a huge lake the earth starts to shake and you realize an earthquake is happening. After getting to safety, you call 911 to report cracks forming in the dam, then you grab your camera and start filming. You capture the moment when the dam fails and water floods the riverbed and parkland sweeping away people below the dam and foreseeably many others downstream. The footage is amazing, if nauseating, in it's destruction.

Eventually the news teams show up and suddenly you realize that your video is the only footage of this mega disaster and the news media wants it now.

Do you give it up for free because it's news or do you negotiate to the highest bidder? It will be one of history's major natural disaster films of all time, seen by billions of people and your name will forever be attached to it but if you give it up you will only be credited with the video, the news company will make all the money off of it. However; if you sell it, everyone will know you sold the news event of a lifetime (as well as the death of those victims) for cash.

Do you sell or donate? Why/why not?

I would sell it. But not right away, I would wait a week or so, I wouldn't want someone to see their family member or friend drowning on the news before they could be informed by the proper authorities of their death.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
23-04-2016, 12:34 PM
(23-04-2016 11:44 AM)unsapien Wrote:  ...

Is the pedestrian a Catholic priest?

Angel

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
23-04-2016, 12:48 PM
(23-04-2016 11:52 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(23-04-2016 11:44 AM)unsapien Wrote:  In the not too distant you are working as a programmer for software that will go into a new "self driving" car. You have to program how the car will respond in the following situation:

You program it to try to minimize the impact to the pedestrian, (who was an idiot for running out in front of the car) ... but the question amounts to "should the person causing the situation by carelessness be allowed to cause the death of the driver ?"
The answer is no.

I like and agree with your assessment but I also have to consider they might be a ignorant child rather than a stupid or careless adult. For me that would make a difference.

My feelings on this are mixed and very situational. I would be willing to sacrifice myself for a variety of people (children, pregnant woman, disabled... ) and yet I would not want my daughter or son to do so because I would be alive to suffer their loss. Tough one. No good answer here. Sad

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]