Moral or Ethical Dilemma's, Q & A's

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2016, 12:50 PM
RE: Moral or Ethical Dilemma's, Q & A's
(16-04-2016 07:42 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  There is a huge range of moral and/or ethical ideals in the world because people are varied and environmentally and socially influenced from many cultures. I thought it might be interesting to see that played out in a variety of Q & A's on moral or ethical events/scenarios/dilemma's and see where that takes us.

This thread is not designed to be judgmental, so lets keep it as a POV lesson. I like challenging my POV and since we have such a wide geographical and socioeconomically varied mix on TTA I thought this would be a good place to learn from cultures other than our own microcosms.

Hopefully the questions and answers will get more complex and thought provoking as we go along. Feel free to answer any question, post your own dilemma or both.

You have witnessed a major natural disaster: As you were out driving and getting ready to cross the dam of a huge lake the earth starts to shake and you realize an earthquake is happening. After getting to safety, you call 911 to report cracks forming in the dam, then you grab your camera and start filming. You capture the moment when the dam fails and water floods the riverbed and parkland sweeping away people below the dam and foreseeably many others downstream. The footage is amazing, if nauseating, in it's destruction.

Eventually the news teams show up and suddenly you realize that your video is the only footage of this mega disaster and the news media wants it now.

Do you give it up for free because it's news or do you negotiate to the highest bidder? It will be one of history's major natural disaster films of all time, seen by billions of people and your name will forever be attached to it but if you give it up you will only be credited with the video, the news company will make all the money off of it. However; if you sell it, everyone will know you sold the news event of a lifetime (as well as the death of those victims) for cash.

Do you sell or donate? Why/why not?

Abraham Zapruder's story....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/as-...story.html

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
28-04-2016, 03:57 PM
(28-04-2016 12:50 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(16-04-2016 07:42 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  There is a huge range of moral and/or ethical ideals in the world because people are varied and environmentally and socially influenced from many cultures. I thought it might be interesting to see that played out in a variety of Q & A's on moral or ethical events/scenarios/dilemma's and see where that takes us.

This thread is not designed to be judgmental, so lets keep it as a POV lesson. I like challenging my POV and since we have such a wide geographical and socioeconomically varied mix on TTA I thought this would be a good place to learn from cultures other than our own microcosms.

Hopefully the questions and answers will get more complex and thought provoking as we go along. Feel free to answer any question, post your own dilemma or both.

You have witnessed a major natural disaster: As you were out driving and getting ready to cross the dam of a huge lake the earth starts to shake and you realize an earthquake is happening. After getting to safety, you call 911 to report cracks forming in the dam, then you grab your camera and start filming. You capture the moment when the dam fails and water floods the riverbed and parkland sweeping away people below the dam and foreseeably many others downstream. The footage is amazing, if nauseating, in it's destruction.

Eventually the news teams show up and suddenly you realize that your video is the only footage of this mega disaster and the news media wants it now.

Do you give it up for free because it's news or do you negotiate to the highest bidder? It will be one of history's major natural disaster films of all time, seen by billions of people and your name will forever be attached to it but if you give it up you will only be credited with the video, the news company will make all the money off of it. However; if you sell it, everyone will know you sold the news event of a lifetime (as well as the death of those victims) for cash.

I understand.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
28-04-2016, 05:12 PM
(28-04-2016 12:50 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  

Thank you for posting that. Made me cry just to read it. Sad

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
30-04-2016, 07:29 PM
Here's a very small moral dilemma that is real.

You go to the bait shop to pick up minnows to go fishing. The local fishing/bait store is now a big area dealer in bait and they started selling in bulk to individuals as well. That's fine but now they don't sell small quantities of minnows anymore. When you order a dozen minnows and they try to give you a pound of minnows instead, which works out to be about 70-80 minnows.

Your options;

1) Buy the minnows and set up an aquarium for the leftovers, having to care for them for a year or more in order to use a few for fishing each week.

2) You can dispose of the remaining 65 or so unused minnows on the ground to die or trash them (it's illegal to release them into the lakes here) which is what they seem to expect.

3) You can buy a box of worms which you can still buy by the dozen and forget every using minnows (which some fish only like) or ever eating the fish that like them.

4) Give up fishing because you're only one person and not the sales target for your bait shop anymore.

Simply put, morally, are small lives that are heavily populated less valuable and disposable?

01-05-2016, 10:01 AM
(30-04-2016 07:29 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  2) You can dispose of the remaining 65 or so unused minnows on the ground to die or trash them (it's illegal to release them into the lakes here) which is what they seem to expect.

This.

Fish do not feel pain the way humans do, according to a team of neurobiologists, behavioral ecologists and fishery scientists. The researchers conclude that fish do not have the neuro-physiological capacity for a conscious awareness of pain.
—Forschungsverbund Berlin e.V. (FVB) 2013.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
01-05-2016, 10:10 AM
(01-05-2016 10:01 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(30-04-2016 07:29 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  2) You can dispose of the remaining 65 or so unused minnows on the ground to die or trash them (it's illegal to release them into the lakes here) which is what they seem to expect.

This.

Fish do not feel pain the way humans do, according to a team of neurobiologists, behavioral ecologists and fishery scientists. The researchers conclude that fish do not have the neuro-physiological capacity for a conscious awareness of pain.

So are you saying because they don't feel pain or because we may not be able to determine they feel pain, that their lives are totally without value and are disposable?

01-05-2016, 10:12 AM
When I first say the OP I thought...sell it...make a few bucks. If you are the only game in town, why not.

I have to rethink my views a little now. After being hit with two hailstorms in three weeks...the second one causing unbelievable damage, makes me ponder this a bit differently. While the people in my neighborhood were out trying to absorb the damage and devastation while also trying to clean up dangers in our yards and streets...there were people driving through the area in undamaged vehicles taking pictures and videos. Did any of them stop to offer assistance? No. They were clogging the streets and gawking at the scene and making it hard for help to arrive where needed. They weren't getting pictures of the storm itself...which was unbelievable to witness. What they were getting on film was damage...and the stunned looks on the faces of those of us who were trying to figure out what to do to try to make things right.

I have to admit to wishing flat tires from debris on all of them.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
01-05-2016, 10:18 AM
(01-05-2016 10:12 AM)Anjele Wrote:  When I first say the OP I thought...sell it...make a few bucks. If you are the only game in town, why not.

I have to rethink my views a little now. After being hit with two hailstorms in three weeks...the second one causing unbelievable damage, makes me ponder this a bit differently. While the people in my neighborhood were out trying to absorb the damage and devastation while also trying to clean up dangers in our yards and streets...there were people driving through the area in undamaged vehicles taking pictures and videos. Did any of them stop to offer assistance? No. They were clogging the streets and gawking at the scene and making it hard for help to arrive where needed. They weren't getting pictures of the storm itself...which was unbelievable to witness. What they were getting on film was damage...and the stunned looks on the faces of those of us who were trying to figure out what to do to try to make things right.

I have to admit to wishing flat tires from debris on all of them.

I agree, things can be and often are different when they are personal. Point of view is an odd thing. When a POV changes and becomes personal it attaches itself to all our own emotional baggage and there is the difference. It's also where empathy lies. IMO

Thx for posting your reconsideration. It can be hard to admit changes in ideas. Smile

01-05-2016, 10:29 AM
(01-05-2016 10:10 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(01-05-2016 10:01 AM)SYZ Wrote:  This.

So are you saying because they don't feel pain or because we may not be able to determine they feel pain, that their lives are totally without value and are disposable?

From a purely moral perspective, it's immaterial whether you feed them to another bigger fish and kill 'em, or whether you throw them in the garbage and kill 'em. Dead is dead.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
01-05-2016, 10:33 AM
(01-05-2016 10:29 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(01-05-2016 10:10 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  So are you saying because they don't feel pain or because we may not be able to determine they feel pain, that their lives are totally without value and are disposable?

From a purely moral perspective, it's immaterial whether you feed them to another bigger fish and kill 'em, or whether you throw them in the garbage and kill 'em. Dead is dead.

hmmm... I will think on this. Thx for replying.

I am pondering then, since all life dies, would this also mean that it's not immoral to kill anything, since now or later dead is dead?