Morality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-01-2013, 06:16 PM
RE: Morality
Christians mass murder people all the time when their (military) group decides it's in the best interest of the group.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating Yogi, CAAT-LY.
Living daily with the high tragedy of being #2 on Laramie Hirsch's ignore list.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
02-01-2013, 11:10 PM
Christians have done it, muslims have done it, and atheists have sure done it. It's a product of human behavior. And most of the time, it's to fight for "your people," or take back what's "yours," which could be argued as justifiable with some of the philosophies laid out here. It goes back to the larger question; what determines morality?
03-01-2013, 12:29 AM
(02-01-2013 11:10 PM)Austavion Wrote:  Christians have done it, muslims have done it, and atheists have sure done it. It's a product of human behavior. And most of the time, it's to fight for "your people," or take back what's "yours," which could be argued as justifiable with some of the philosophies laid out here. It goes back to the larger question; what determines morality?

Not what... it's who - who determines morality?

You do.
As a human being you have a responsibility to uphold a sense of good to support the wellbeing of the group or risk adverse consequences. You don't have to be good by anyone's standards but your own but, you'd still have to defend those standards if the group was to come into jeopardy as a result of your actions.
If one simply considers the group to be all of humanity (we often seem to have forgotten this), "morality" wouldn't be an issue. Shy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
03-01-2013, 10:55 AM
Individual morality is anything one makes it to be, without limit.
03-01-2013, 11:40 AM
I think its interesting that a lot of our morality is based upon Religious Dogma. Some people may disagree and say they were raised atheist (like me) however the foundations of these in my opinion lie mostly in religion.

So if you practise certain morals then in some indirect way, even if you are an atheist, you are following the "word of god" Shocking

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
03-01-2013, 11:55 AM
I think it's the opposite. Religious dogma sprang from our evolved sense of morality . It didn't take a moral giant to come up with don't kill or steal.
[+] 1 user Likes sandman's post
03-01-2013, 12:06 PM
(03-01-2013 11:55 AM)sandman Wrote:  I think it's the opposite. Religious dogma sprang from our evolved sense of morality . It didn't take a moral giant to come up with don't kill or steal.
It may seem like "common sense" to not steal or kill...however we were brought up to follow these. I myself was taught these by my parents.

It was only later through life that I could appreciate these and call them "experience"

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
08-01-2013, 10:35 AM
(03-01-2013 12:06 PM)bemore Wrote:  
(03-01-2013 11:55 AM)sandman Wrote:  I think it's the opposite. Religious dogma sprang from our evolved sense of morality . It didn't take a moral giant to come up with don't kill or steal.
It may seem like "common sense" to not steal or kill...however we were brought up to follow these. I myself was taught these by my parents.

It was only later through life that I could appreciate these and call them "experience"
Common sense to whom? Common sense is subjective.

Anything goes in life, who doesn't know that? lol....