Morality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-12-2012, 01:47 PM
RE: Morality
(29-12-2012 01:42 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  since this is a double post. this is now the official derailment thread. derail as everyone sees fit.
Waaa Sadcryface2 NO DERAIL. NO DERAIL.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-12-2012, 02:00 PM
(29-12-2012 01:46 PM)morondog Wrote:  Can this be merged with the other thread of same title plz oh glorious mods which art in interwebs?
Hmm I'll look into it.
[+] 1 user Likes FSM_scot's post
01-01-2013, 06:17 PM
(29-12-2012 12:57 PM)morondog Wrote:  We don't have to define some kind of absolute morality. Forget evolution for the moment. Let's just say I have no God to hand me morals on stone tablets.

I just look at morals as... what I'm comfortable with doing. Like, I don't wanna kill people, so I don't. I don't need an invisible God as a reason not to kill people, I just don't do it.

If you want to widen the discussion from personal morals to societal rules, then we can say that we make laws for the benefit of society.

But personal morals still trump law, for me, assuming I can get away with it Wink For example, in apartheid South Africa, racism was written into the legal system. I didn't live in such times, but I'd like to think that if I had, I would have stood against such a ridiculous idea.

In all this, still no need for an invisible God.

I'd like to throw the question back at you. How does having this God guy give you a basis for morals ?
As anything goes morally, who says Apartheid was wrong? I wouldn't have stood against it.

Anything goes in life, as personal morality is as broad as infinity.,
01-01-2013, 07:03 PM
Morality is doing what you believe to be the right course of action.
01-01-2013, 08:10 PM
(01-01-2013 07:03 PM)Farlian Wrote:  Morality is doing what you believe to be the right course of action.
exactly, anything goes in life.
01-01-2013, 08:44 PM
As Free noted, "reciprocity" is one of the pillars (for want of a better word) of morality. Here's the current list (from Jonathan Haidt)

http://www.moralfoundations.org/

The 6 "moralities" are:
1. Harm / care (empathy)
2. Fairness / cheating (reciprocity)
3. Liberty / oppression (freedom)
4. Loyalty / betrayal (in-group)
5. Authority / subversion (respect)
6. Sanctity / degradation (purity)

Tests show that the liberal-minded are more in tune with 1. 2. and 3. whereas conservatives value all six.

One of the posters above is claiming to value none of the above.

Consider

Societies usually has a way of isolating people like that for the well-being of the majority.

Similarly, a laissez-faire attitude usually has its own rewards... the burnt hand is the best teacher.

Smartass

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
01-01-2013, 11:08 PM
(01-01-2013 06:17 PM)namiloveyou Wrote:  As anything goes morally, who says Apartheid was wrong? I wouldn't have stood against it.
That is of course, your choice. I say apartheid was wrong from my personal standpoint. You can say it's fine and dandy. Let's say that you were on the receiving end... I think you'd stand against it then.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
02-01-2013, 12:35 AM
Namiloveyou, I think you might change your philosophy if, like morondog said, you were on the other side of apartheid. Or, getting robbed,assaulted, or tortured. I think that infinite morality would tighten a bit if you were watching a child get tortured and had the power to stop it.

I do, however, think that approach to morality in a naturalistic framework is fairly compatible though, which is the problem.
02-01-2013, 01:25 PM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2013 01:47 PM by FlyingPizzaMonster.)
Morality being subjective does not mean "anything goes", anymore than atheism would imply nihilism.

We are social, rather than solitary animals. We have a natural instinct for altruism, empathy and cooperation. Combined with self-awareness and we have the opposite emotions of pride and shame (guilt being a form of shame). Morality comes from this.

Our evolved instinct, based on help vs harm to others in the group, is the true source of all of our morality. The fact that it is subjective, and there are some gray areas open to interpretation does NOT amount to "anything goes".

Religion is not the source of morality. It steals credit for morality but it also perverts it. A true moral code based on altruism is replaced with one based solely on obedience.
[+] 2 users Like FlyingPizzaMonster's post
04-01-2013, 10:36 AM
(01-01-2013 08:44 PM)DLJ Wrote:  As Free noted, "reciprocity" is one of the pillars (for want of a better word) of morality. Here's the current list (from Jonathan Haidt)

http://www.moralfoundations.org/

The 6 "moralities" are:
1. Harm / care (empathy)
2. Fairness / cheating (reciprocity)
3. Liberty / oppression (freedom)
4. Loyalty / betrayal (in-group)
5. Authority / subversion (respect)
6. Sanctity / degradation (purity)

Tests show that the liberal-minded are more in tune with 1. 2. and 3. whereas conservatives value all six.

One of the posters above is claiming to value none of the above.

Consider

Societies usually has a way of isolating people like that for the well-being of the majority.

Similarly, a laissez-faire attitude usually has its own rewards... the burnt hand is the best teacher.

Smartass
yeah... and most people in modern society DON'T have a laissez-faire moral system.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Perfection and Morality Mr. Slave 22 352 09-07-2014 10:52 AM
Last Post: Impulse
  Moral Relativism Vs. Absolute Morality, and Does morality evolve? godofskeptic 47 7,484 30-06-2014 02:07 PM
Last Post: Just Another Atheist
  Governance excluding morality Stevil 10 315 11-02-2014 11:53 PM
Last Post: Stevil
  Morality - seeking consistency via qualifying criteria Stevil 23 642 03-02-2014 12:15 PM
  My views on Morality Krabman 38 916 23-01-2014 10:04 PM
Last Post: Vosur
  Morality on a desert island natachan 24 743 29-12-2013 04:10 PM
  POW right in the kisser. Morality on old TV I and I 9 375 27-09-2013 04:18 AM
Last Post: I and I