Morality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-07-2015, 10:17 AM
RE: Morality
(28-07-2015 10:14 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(28-07-2015 10:12 AM)Hambone Wrote:  So raping and torturing an innocent 6 year old for fun, is NOT factually wrong...its just a matter of opinion that its wrong, which is just as valid as me thinking I am the best looking man that ever existed?

False equivocation.

How a society defines harm and moral or immoral at any given time, will dictate what is or isn't moral or immoral.

Plenty of cultures still allow the removal of the clitoris of young girls and allow the arranged marrying of young girls. In those societies (today and in the past), there was/is nothing deemed immoral about any of that.

Because morality, is not objective.

ad populum fallacy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-07-2015, 10:17 AM
(28-07-2015 10:15 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(28-07-2015 10:12 AM)Hambone Wrote:  So raping and torturing an innocent 6 year old for fun, is NOT factually wrong...its just a matter of opinion that its wrong, which is just as valid as me thinking I am the best looking man that ever existed?

I predict you won't get a straight answer on that one, besides from nihilist who would say that it's a matter of opinion. But I'm hoping to be surprised.

The likely response would be something along the lines of it not being factually wrong, nor being a matter of opinion.

You are a truly dumb troll. Drinking Beverage

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
28-07-2015, 10:18 AM
(28-07-2015 10:16 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Hell, even the term "beauty" for who is or isn't the most handsome or beautiful person is cultural and non-objective. Different societies and species have different concepts of beauty because it too is completely subjective. But you are treating these subjective terms as objective terms and that is where your error lies.

How am I treating subjective items as objective? Where did I do this?
(28-07-2015 10:17 AM)Hambone Wrote:  
(28-07-2015 10:14 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  False equivocation.

How a society defines harm and moral or immoral at any given time, will dictate what is or isn't moral or immoral.

Plenty of cultures still allow the removal of the clitoris of young girls and allow the arranged marrying of young girls. In those societies (today and in the past), there was/is nothing deemed immoral about any of that.

Because morality, is not objective.

ad populum fallacy

No, it really isn't.

If the only rebuttal to you being wrong is to try and incorrectly spout off fallacies, you've no substance to your replies.

-Rick
(28-07-2015 10:16 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(28-07-2015 10:15 AM)Hambone Wrote:  If morality is truly subjective, then why wouldn't I get a straight answer?

It is wrong in the U.S. today. <-straight answer for one specific context.

I am not after epystomology...rather ontology
28-07-2015, 10:19 AM
(28-07-2015 10:18 AM)Hambone Wrote:  
(28-07-2015 10:16 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Hell, even the term "beauty" for who is or isn't the most handsome or beautiful person is cultural and non-objective. Different societies and species have different concepts of beauty because it too is completely subjective. But you are treating these subjective terms as objective terms and that is where your error lies.

How am I treating subjective items as objective? Where did I do this?

Morality and beauty (you falsely equivocated the idea that one could objectively make a statement about being the "most handsome")

-Rick
28-07-2015, 10:19 AM
(28-07-2015 10:18 AM)Hambone Wrote:  
(28-07-2015 10:16 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  It is wrong in the U.S. today. <-straight answer for one specific context.

I am not after epystomology...rather ontology

Then you are dabbling in whoo

-Rick
28-07-2015, 10:20 AM
(28-07-2015 10:18 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(28-07-2015 10:17 AM)Hambone Wrote:  ad populum fallacy

No, it really isn't.

If the only rebuttal to you being wrong is to try and incorrectly spout off fallacies, you've no substance to your replies.

For subjective items, what society deems right or wrong, is still not factually wrong. Adding more people to the argument doesn't make it wrong.

If you think your partner is beautiful, but 99.99% of the population thinks she is not beautiful, does that mean you are wrong to find your partner beautiful?
28-07-2015, 10:21 AM
(28-07-2015 10:20 AM)Hambone Wrote:  
(28-07-2015 10:18 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  No, it really isn't.

For subjective items, what society deems right or wrong, is still not factually wrong. Adding more people to the argument doesn't make it wrong.

If you think your partner is beautiful, but 99.99% of the population thinks she is not beautiful, does that mean you are wrong to find your partner beautiful?

You are quite literally using an example that disproves your assertion of moral objectivity. Laugh out load

-Rick
28-07-2015, 10:21 AM
(28-07-2015 10:19 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(28-07-2015 10:18 AM)Hambone Wrote:  How am I treating subjective items as objective? Where did I do this?

Morality and beauty (you falsely equivocated the idea that one could objectively make a statement about being the "most handsome")

Beauty is subjective....I used beauty which is obviously subjective to contrast the claim that morality is subjective...to highlight the absurd comparison if you want to put morality in the subjective basket.