Morality and Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-12-2013, 09:33 PM
Morality and Atheism
Oh God! (or Not), not another one of these threads!

WAIT!, WAIT! COME BACK, IT'S NOT WHAT YOU THINK!

Anyways, I was just thinking about my courses next semester and one of them is Shapers of Modern Thought, IE a Modern Philosophy course (in fact it's meant to be a 300 version of the 400 level Modern Philosophy course).

Drawing from what I remember of last years ethics course and reading G.K. Chesteron. It seems to me that the Idea that Atheists can't have morality would have been very relevant 60 years ago. With the likes of Nietzsche and Marx, and Bentham and Mill and the huge plethora of moral philosophers all coming out with their own system of ethics.
Atheist were at the forefront of several ideas which might seem atrocious to today's standards, such as eugenics and forced sterilization.

Most atheist have just decided to become humanitarians, but at the turn of the century this was far from the case.

Thoughts?

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-12-2013, 09:45 PM
RE: Morality and Atheism
(09-12-2013 09:33 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  Oh God! (or Not), not another one of these threads!

Anyways, I was just thinking about my courses next semester and one of them is Shapers of Modern Thought, IE a Modern Philosophy course (in fact it's meant to be a 300 version of the 400 level Modern Philosophy course).

Drawing from what I remember of last years ethics course and reading G.K. Chesteron. It seems to me that the Idea that Atheists can't have morality would have been very relevant 60 years ago. With the likes of Nietzsche and Marx, and Bentham and Mill and the huge plethora of moral philosophers all coming out with their own system of ethics.
Atheist were at the forefront of several ideas which might seem atrocious to today's standards, such as eugenics and forced sterilization.

Most atheist have just decided to become humanitarians, but at the turn of the century this was far from the case.

Thoughts?

Revisionism much?

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
09-12-2013, 10:19 PM
(09-12-2013 09:45 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(09-12-2013 09:33 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  Oh God! (or Not), not another one of these threads!

Thoughts?

Revisionism much?

Maybe a little with the eugenics part. However, I still think this is a valid question. At the turn of the century, secular ethics was all over the place. It wasn't until WWII and everyone getting pissed off at Ideologies that Atheist Morality became somewhat standardized.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
09-12-2013, 10:24 PM
(09-12-2013 10:19 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  It wasn't until WWII and everyone getting pissed off at Ideologies that Atheist Morality became somewhat standardized.

I'm not aware of any standard atheist morality.Consider
[+] 3 users Like Juv's post
09-12-2013, 10:26 PM
(09-12-2013 10:24 PM)Juv Wrote:  
(09-12-2013 10:19 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  It wasn't until WWII and everyone getting pissed off at Ideologies that Atheist Morality became somewhat standardized.

I'm not aware of any standard atheist morality.Consider

Hence why I used the word somewhat. Most atheist, at least from my experience on here, tend to be a form of humanitarianism.

- my friend Marc
09-12-2013, 10:28 PM
(09-12-2013 10:19 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  
(09-12-2013 09:45 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Revisionism much?

Maybe a little...
That's like "maybe a little pregnant".

[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
09-12-2013, 10:30 PM
(09-12-2013 10:28 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(09-12-2013 10:19 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  Maybe a little...
That's like "maybe a little pregnant".

Okay fine, then what was I revisioning

- my friend Marc
09-12-2013, 10:36 PM
(09-12-2013 09:33 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  Atheist were at the forefront of several ideas which might seem atrocious to today's standards, such as eugenics and forced sterilization.
Neither eugenics, nor forced sterilization are modern concepts. Drinking Beverage

(09-12-2013 09:33 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  Most atheist have just decided to become humanitarians, but at the turn of the century this was far from the case.
Citation needed.

I think it goes without saying that equating the ideas of atheistic philosophers with those of the general atheistic population is fallacious beyond measure.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Vosur's post
09-12-2013, 10:36 PM
I have never understood what belief in some invisible sky daddy has anything to do with morality. In fact, it's religious people that I've found to be incredibly heartless, using things like earthquakes and tsunamis that kill hundreds of thousands of people as a justification for their religious beliefs, saying "See! That happened to those people because they aren't Christians! God is punishing them!" I've certainly never seen an atheist look at a natural disaster and say "See! That happened to those people because they aren't atheists!" Where atheists see tragedy, Bible thumpers see opportunity.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
[+] 2 users Like WindyCityJazz's post
09-12-2013, 10:39 PM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2013 10:49 PM by Taqiyya Mockingbird.)
(09-12-2013 10:30 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  
(09-12-2013 10:28 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  That's like "maybe a little pregnant".

Okay fine, then what was I revisioning

For starters, 60-ish years ago the folks who were at the forefront of "eugenics" and forced sterilization were the NDSAP (correction: NSDAP, thanks Vosur), who were led by a Catholic.

[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post