Morality and Magnets

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-06-2016, 02:44 PM
Morality and Magnets
Hummmm. Well, here's something interesting.

A person's moral judgments can be changed almost instantly by delivering a magnetic pulse to an area of the brain near the right ear, according to a study in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

According to Joshua Green, psychologist at Harvard University, "Moral judgment is just a brain process," he says. "That's precisely why it's possible for these researchers to influence it using electromagnetic pulses on the surface of the brain."

It's a short article and I don't know if this belongs in the Science section, Philosophy or Atheism. And it may not be the best designed study. I'm not a scientist so I can't judge these things.

The thought just occurred to me though, Consider wonder what would happen if we stuck a big electromagnetic pulses in one of those giant church organ......wired it up to all the christian believers in one of those megachurch congregations.....wonder if they'd suddenly run up and kill the money grubbing minister. Evil_monster

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story...=125304448

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like dancefortwo's post
01-06-2016, 02:53 PM
RE: Morality and Magnets
Too scary. This is the type of thing that will be used to create super soldiers.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
01-06-2016, 05:46 PM
Yeah there have been various studies I've seen done on magnetically or with electro pads on specific brain areas altering the ethical or judgemental aspects of peoples reactions.

I've seen and read about this study before in, i don't recall where specifically but yeah, the whole poison friends coffee at work on purpose or accident case thing.

It really I think highlights a manner of opening how should punishment be dealt out. Oddly as a fan of Hockey it's interesting and frustrating to see how when these modern sports want to protect peoples health and brains but fall into lazily just punishing results instead of judging more on the intent of the humans. Maybe they got too many magnets in thier heads

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
01-06-2016, 05:56 PM
It's a very interesting study for sure whether it's true or not the implications are alarming. It reminds me of the many experiments done by Derren Brown on British TV, he sometimes uses a form of hypnosis where a smell, physical touch or sound can cause a person to instantly feel the way he made them feel when they were introduced to the stimulus by him in a controlled environment, depending on the person they can be made to commit crimes, think they are dead or believe they are having a vision.

I can assume an electric pulse would have a similar effect which is scary but I'd like to see it for myself, like see if I could be swayed to commit an immoral act.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
02-06-2016, 08:01 AM
Article Wrote:Moral Judgment: 'Just A Brain Process'?

Of course it is. It's not like this article is breaking down anything we didn't already know, other than the fact that they might be a bit closer to understanding the mechanical process involved.

Of course, the creepiest part about this is the chunk of society that claim the only reason they aren't raping and murdering people right now is because they believe Almighty God told them not to. There are people on record for saying that crap.

Part of me thinks that if we could do away with notions like absolute morality and free will, that we'd be free to make better decisions to get better outcomes, rather than focusing on stuff like "who deserves what". The other part of me is terrified of all the people who would literally start raping and murdering people because their stupid ape brains told them that's what the logical conclusion of these new findings is.
02-06-2016, 08:41 AM
You can also change a guy's attitude with a Army field phone and a set of alligator clips hooked up to his nuts...................

I'm betting that works better than a friggin magnet...

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
02-06-2016, 12:14 PM
2 points to clarify about this:

1) This works by targeting a very specific portion of an individual's brain with a powerful magnet. Hooking a powerful magnet up to a church organ to blast the entire room, rather than those specifically targeted regions of brains, would do nothing except cause all of the metal in the room to glomp on to the organ, which is funny enough to attempt in its own right.

2) Taking the experiment at face value, the magnet did NOT get rid of morality in the people in the experiment. Rather, it temporarily switched their method of moral reasoning from one mode (which judged by the intentions of the actor) to another mode (which judged by the outcome of the actions). In both cases they were still capable of moral reasoning. It was just a different kind of moral reasoning.
[+] 2 users Like Reltzik's post