Morality is like a religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-08-2015, 09:50 PM
RE: Morality is like a religion
(18-08-2015 09:20 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(18-08-2015 09:18 PM)Detective L Ryuzaki Wrote:  I have studied completely on grammar and such as well.

I think I have found the problem.

Look. I am just on the quest for truth here and wish to know the definite answer to my theory. I am not convinced that my theory is false just yet. This is because I have yet to understand how one's life can still have good meaning if he/she has no incentive to live.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-08-2015, 10:00 PM
I think you have far too much of an issue based on strange use of labels and defining the context of them as very black/white or rigid.

In the inherent context you're okay to say morality doesn't exist. But when you say it's just thinking and a matter of choices... well yeah, that's what morality is in the social sense of it.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
18-08-2015, 10:18 PM
First of all I apologize if my response appears as a derailment. However, i seem to remember a similar thread posted by a user that shares some similarities to the Detective here. You know, anime fan who has a dogmatic view of some kind of morality/hedonism mish mash? Perhaps some further insight can be gleaned by linking to that older thread.

If you don't want a sarcastic answer, don't ask stupid questions. Drinking Beverage
18-08-2015, 10:23 PM
(18-08-2015 10:00 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I think you have far too much of an issue based on strange use of labels and defining the context of them as very black/white or rigid.

In the inherent context you're okay to say morality doesn't exist. But when you say it's just thinking and a matter of choices... well yeah, that's what morality is in the social sense of it.

But that is not the same as good and bad. How something is of good value to us would be when we have an incentive for it. That is, when we want and like it. Since our wanting and liking cannot be our thoughts and can only be our pleasant emotions, then it is only our pleasant emotions that can make things and people of good value and worth to us.

If there is somehow a version of wanting and liking through our thoughts alone, then they would not be the incentive version of wanting and liking. Also, to say that something can be of good value and worth to you even though you do not want it and do not like it would be no different than saying that you want and like something even though you do not want and do not like it. Therefore, that would be a false (contradictory) statement.
18-08-2015, 10:45 PM
(18-08-2015 10:18 PM)ivaneus Wrote:  First of all I apologize if my response appears as a derailment. However, i seem to remember a similar thread posted by a user that shares some similarities to the Detective here. You know, anime fan who has a dogmatic view of some kind of morality/hedonism mish mash? Perhaps some further insight can be gleaned by linking to that older thread.

Oh we know, at least I would think some easily can pick that up, that it is him. Hell his video link to his channel clearly shows it off. It's MozartLink/several other socks he has created over time.
(18-08-2015 10:23 PM)Detective L Ryuzaki Wrote:  
(18-08-2015 10:00 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I think you have far too much of an issue based on strange use of labels and defining the context of them as very black/white or rigid.

But that is not the same as good and bad. How something is of good value to us would be when we have an incentive for it. That is, when we want and like it. Since our wanting and liking cannot be our thoughts and can only be our pleasant emotions, then it is only our pleasant emotions that can make things and people of good value and worth to us.

If there is somehow a version of wanting and liking through our thoughts alone, then they would not be the incentive version of wanting and liking. Also, to say that something can be of good value and worth to you even though you do not want it and do not like it would be no different than saying that you want and like something even though you do not want and do not like it. Therefore, that would be a false (contradictory) statement.

There is no reason to think of anything as good or bad. It's not beneficial to give a damn that others still do either. Being contradictory in every view doesn't mean someone doesn't exist or happen. You can have a logical contradictory state and be at acceptance to it. Certain types of logics embrace it even.

[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
18-08-2015, 10:53 PM (This post was last modified: 18-08-2015 10:56 PM by Detective L Ryuzaki.)
(18-08-2015 10:45 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(18-08-2015 10:18 PM)ivaneus Wrote:  First of all I apologize if my response appears as a derailment. However, i seem to remember a similar thread posted by a user that shares some similarities to the Detective here. You know, anime fan who has a dogmatic view of some kind of morality/hedonism mish mash? Perhaps some further insight can be gleaned by linking to that older thread.

Oh we know, at least I would think some easily can pick that up, that it is him. Hell his video link to his channel clearly shows it off. It's MozartLink/several other socks he has created over time.
(18-08-2015 10:23 PM)Detective L Ryuzaki Wrote:  But that is not the same as good and bad. How something is of good value to us would be when we have an incentive for it. That is, when we want and like it. Since our wanting and liking cannot be our thoughts and can only be our pleasant emotions, then it is only our pleasant emotions that can make things and people of good value and worth to us.

There is no reason to think of anything as good or bad. It's not beneficial to give a damn that others still do either. Being contradictory in every view doesn't mean someone doesn't exist or happen. You can have a logical contradictory state and be at acceptance to it. Certain types of logics embrace it even.

So you are saying that we as human beings don't need any incentive to live? That we don't need anything good in our lives whatsoever? I don't know of any normal human being who is fine living like that. I mean, if you had everything taken away from you in your life and you could do nothing but sit there and do nothing for your entire life, then you would lament and become frustrated over that. Only when that situation of you doing nothing becomes good to you would you no longer lament and become enraged/frustrated. So as long as we do not have anything good in our lives, then we will not be fine living like that.
18-08-2015, 11:16 PM
(18-08-2015 10:53 PM)Detective L Ryuzaki Wrote:  
(18-08-2015 10:45 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Oh we know, at least I would think some easily can pick that up, that it is him. Hell his video link to his channel clearly shows it off. It's MozartLink/several other socks he has created over time.

So you are saying that we as human beings don't need any incentive to live? That we don't need anything good in our lives whatsoever? I don't know of any normal human being who is fine living like that. I mean, if you had everything taken away from you in your life and you could do nothing but sit there and do nothing for your entire life, then you would lament and become frustrated over that. Only when that situation of you doing nothing becomes good to you would you no longer lament and become enraged/frustrated. So as long as we do not have anything good in our lives, then we will not be fine living like that.

Not sure how you concluded that. I'm saying there is no reason for you to view things via the label "good" or "bad" and nothing here is profound or new information of a way that will change the world. To view things in such categories or scopes is unnecessary.