Morality of Business Leaders > Morality of Christianity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-08-2017, 02:16 PM
Well I never thought I'd see the day but here it is.

While both of Trump's business councils (AND his arts council) have resigned en masse, nothing but crickets from his Christian friends.

I guess they're okay with moral equivalency between neo-Nazis and counter-protesters so long as they get their Supreme Court nominees.

Here's another one for the Irony Meter: despite that I'm sure they advocate for artistic freedom in ways that chafe the chaste hides of fundamentalists, the Arts Council (which was established back in the early 1980s) managed to put out this scathing document of moral outrage. But the church? Crickets again.

(Yes I suppose I could put this in politics by my point isn't political, it's moral and religious).
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like mordant's post
21-08-2017, 02:41 PM (This post was last modified: 21-08-2017 02:48 PM by Szuchow.)
Christianity is about following orders from on high not morality and apparently no order was given.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
21-08-2017, 03:42 PM
RE: Morality of Business Leaders > Morality of Christianity
One guy quit. And he was black.

Not that I needed it but it tells me everything I need to know about xristards.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
21-08-2017, 08:12 PM
(21-08-2017 02:16 PM)mordant Wrote:  While both of Trump's business councils (AND his arts council) have resigned en masse, nothing but crickets from his Christian friends.

They are all praying for President Pence. God works in mysterious ways....

Hobo
22-08-2017, 05:58 AM
(21-08-2017 02:41 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Christianity is about following orders from on high not morality and apparently no order was given.

You really don't know what you're talking about. Christianity is all about morality. You can't just redefine words/concepts because you don't agree with those words/concepts
[+] 1 user Likes Angra Mainyu's post
22-08-2017, 06:36 AM
They have dollars at risk... the religious folks will have their flock regardless

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
22-08-2017, 06:39 AM
(22-08-2017 05:58 AM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  
(21-08-2017 02:41 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Christianity is about following orders from on high not morality and apparently no order was given.

You really don't know what you're talking about. Christianity is all about morality. You can't just redefine words/concepts because you don't agree with those words/concepts

It is xianity that has hijacked the word and redefined it. Morality, if it is to mean anything at all, has nothing to do with the blind submission to simplistic and arbitrary rules handed down by an authority figure. From my perspective it is an incredibly immoral system that imposes conformity and unnatural behavior requirements and condones suffering.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
22-08-2017, 07:02 AM

Based upon what? Biblegod encourages and condones theft, genocide, and slavery among other things. I don't think any of those things are at all moral. What definition of morality do you use?

“I am not responsible for actions of the imaginary version of me you have inside your head.” - John Scalzi

[+] 1 user Likes Norm Deplume's post
22-08-2017, 11:51 AM

One of most idiotic troll to "grace" forum accusing me of not knowing what I write about? That is definition of something hillarious.

Also following orders in hope of reward/cause of fear of eternal punishment hardly could be called morality, fool. It's just obedience or lack of it.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
22-08-2017, 12:13 PM
(21-08-2017 03:42 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  One guy quit. And he was black.

Not that I needed it but it tells me everything I need to know about xristards.
I read today that one guy did quit a few days ago, maybe that's your guy?

Also read today that the pressure on the council to quit or at least openly censure Trump as a group is supposedly "tremendous", both from inside and outside their churches. But they are still thinking like Elon Musk was at first -- it's more important to have a seat at the table than to cede it altogether. Musk in fact realized he was wrong before Charlottesville -- he quit over Trump's withdraw from the Paris Accords.

So in fairness, there IS non-zero concern about this within the church, it's simply not reaching the people who need to act on it. They are like GOP legislators, extremely uncomfortable but too cowardly to act.

Actually ever since the church made its unholy alliance with the political right in the 1980s, it has been addicted to a "seat at the table" (AKA, political influence and power) and it doesn't in the abstract surprise me that they have sunk so low as to cast their lot with Trump AND to weather one moral violation after another so long as they get a few of their pet Shibboleths accommodated. But as a former evangelical it does astound and sadden me. Evangelicalism of the 1960s and 1970s would be utterly repelled by politics itself, much less by corrupt and morally bankrupt politicians. They considered it beneath them. How things have changed ...

A side point for those who are curious: the notion that the Bible teaches that life begins at conception was barely known, much less a consensus view, prior to the politicization of the church some two generations ago. That was a doctrine concocted out of thin air to politicize the abortion debate. That is just one small way the church has changed from a relatively detached stance to a ruthless tactical and strategic involvement with the secular political world.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post