Morality on a desert island

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-12-2013, 09:02 PM
RE: Morality on a desert island
(02-11-2013 09:30 PM)natachan Wrote:  Let us propose two desert islands. On one you are alone, on the other you are in a group. How would you define morality on these islands and why?

To be fair I'll put some cards on the table and explain the questions. I am an atheist AND a moral absolutist. I would like to hear the views of others. Is morality simply between yourself and other humans? Is it between you and other living beings? Or is it an internal system for coping with reality? This also means I would like to know what you think morality is and who needs it.

I would like to know about how you folks view moral absolutism. I believe that there is a right and there is a wrong although the context of the event might effect it. Example: it is ALWAYS wrong to rob a store at gunpoint and kill the clerk, but it is not wrong for the clerk to shoot the robber.

As an Objectivist I say the answer is the same for both: That which is proper to the life of a human being. Morality doesn't disappear when you are alone. You still need a code of moral values in order to live. Wherever you are you still posses a specific nature and have specific requirements for life. As long as action is required of you, you need morality. As long as there are values to seek you need morality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-12-2013, 09:22 PM
(28-12-2013 09:02 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(02-11-2013 09:30 PM)natachan Wrote:  Let us propose two desert islands. On one you are alone, on the other you are in a group. How would you define morality on these islands and why?

To be fair I'll put some cards on the table and explain the questions. I am an atheist AND a moral absolutist. I would like to hear the views of others. Is morality simply between yourself and other humans? Is it between you and other living beings? Or is it an internal system for coping with reality? This also means I would like to know what you think morality is and who needs it.

I would like to know about how you folks view moral absolutism. I believe that there is a right and there is a wrong although the context of the event might effect it. Example: it is ALWAYS wrong to rob a store at gunpoint and kill the clerk, but it is not wrong for the clerk to shoot the robber.

As an Objectivist I say the answer is the same for both: That which is proper to the life of a human being. Morality doesn't disappear when you are alone. You still need a code of moral values in order to live. Wherever you are you still posses a specific nature and have specific requirements for life. As long as action is required of you, you need morality. As long as there are values to seek you need morality.

Morality has to do with our relationships with others. I think you must be confusing morality with standards.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
29-12-2013, 02:57 PM
Morality has to do with our relationships with others. I think you must be confusing morality with standards.
[/quote]

Yes it is about our relationships with others but also about our relationship with ourselves and reality. Morality to me is a guide to proper action. Morality would be even more important alone on a desert island because there would be no one onto which to shift the burden of thinking and producing the values you need to live as there is in society.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
29-12-2013, 04:01 PM
(29-12-2013 02:57 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  Morality has to do with our relationships with others. I think you must be confusing morality with standards.

Yes it is about our relationships with others but also about our relationship with ourselves and reality. Morality to me is a guide to proper action. Morality would be even more important alone on a desert island because there would be no one onto which to shift the burden of thinking and producing the values you need to live as there is in society.
[/quote]

"producing the values you need to live"? Simple pragmatism is all one needs to survive.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-12-2013, 04:10 PM
(02-11-2013 09:30 PM)natachan Wrote:  1. Is morality simply between yourself and other humans?
2. Is it between you and other living beings?
3. Or is it an internal system for coping with reality?

4. This also means I would like to know what you think morality is and who needs it.
1. Morality is a belief system, based on whatever the believer wants it to be based on, be it rules for the self or rules for others. Although if it is believed to be rules for the self then this form of morality misses out on the shoulds and oughts which are often seen as a key component to moral beliefs.

2. Same answer for 1
3. Same answer for 1
4. I don't think moral beliefs are necessary (I don't have any). I think a society without moral beliefs would be more tolerant and diverse.