Morality vs. Legalism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-09-2015, 11:23 PM
RE: Morality vs. Legalism
Hay Qbert, your Bible even has fucking *instructions* on what to do after your slave has a kid and whether or not it should *also* be a slave. Nice moral high ground you got there.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-10-2015, 01:39 PM
(28-09-2015 11:23 PM)morondog Wrote:  Hay Qbert, your Bible even has fucking *instructions* on what to do after your slave has a kid and whether or not it should *also* be a slave. Nice moral high ground you got there.

You must be referring to the fact that Israelite servants could go free with their children but Gentiles could not do so. This is consistent with the fact that their are Bible distinctions between the chosen and not, the saved and not, Israel and the nations... you are of course forgetting that the Gentiles were not to be the slaves of Israelites but to be killed/avoided entirely!

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-10-2015, 01:59 PM
(05-10-2015 01:39 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(28-09-2015 11:23 PM)morondog Wrote:  Hay Qbert, your Bible even has fucking *instructions* on what to do after your slave has a kid and whether or not it should *also* be a slave. Nice moral high ground you got there.

You must be referring to the fact that Israelite servants could go free with their children but Gentiles could not do so. This is consistent with the fact that their are Bible distinctions between the chosen and not, the saved and not, Israel and the nations... you are of course forgetting that the Gentiles were not to be the slaves of Israelites but to be killed/avoided entirely!

YOU FUCKING IDIOT. Your own words imply that all your waffle about universal morality is a big pile of stinky troll shit.

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
05-10-2015, 02:35 PM
(26-09-2015 09:45 PM)Chas Wrote:  Most people want to know the truth about most things that interest them.

Quote:Is the desire for truth a biological desire, like a desire for food, and drink. A desire for friendship, and love, and sex? Or is sort of like a manufactured desire, like a desire for coke?

No, it is an aspect of a conscious mind.

The rationalist desire for truth, is just a bastard child of Christianity. Our western obsession with truth, is not a product of any biological predisposition, but an entirely culturally fabricated one. In our western world, it was the invention of Christianity's belief in a God of Truth, in which the early scientific endeavor to understand nature, was a means of understanding God himself.

It's Christianity that made the attainment of truth the most noblest of ideals, that linked Truth, with the Way, and the Life, or in other words the only way to live an authentic and meaningful life. It's why atheists will proclaim truth is a thing preferable to false comfort, or even false happiness. That's not a biological disposition, is one inherited from a religious superstition.

And it's the tits of this religious belief that many atheists are still sucking on. The long shadow of the God they no longer believe in.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
05-10-2015, 02:45 PM
(05-10-2015 02:35 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(26-09-2015 09:45 PM)Chas Wrote:  Most people want to know the truth about most things that interest them.

No, it is an aspect of a conscious mind.

The rationalist desire for truth, is just a bastard child of Christianity. Our western obsession with truth, is not a product of any biological predisposition, but an entirely culturally fabricated one. In our western world, it was the invention of Christianity's belief in a God of Truth, in which the early scientific endeavor to understand nature, was a means of understanding God himself.

It's Christianity that made the attainment of truth the most noblest of ideals, that linked Truth, with the Way, and the Life, or in other words the only way to live an authentic and meaningful life. It's why atheists will proclaim truth is a thing preferable to false comfort, or even false happiness. That's not a biological disposition, is one inherited from a religious superstition.

And it's the tits of this religious belief that many atheists are still sucking on. The long shadow of the God they no longer believe in.

Would that be the belief that slavery and rape are socially acceptable? Dodgy

05-10-2015, 03:09 PM
(05-10-2015 02:35 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  The rationalist desire for truth, is just a bastard child of Christianity. Our western obsession with truth, is not a product of any biological predisposition, but an entirely culturally fabricated one. In our western world, it was the invention of Christianity's belief in a God of Truth, in which the early scientific endeavor to understand nature, was a means of understanding God himself.

ummmm no, just no. Socrates, Plato and Aristotle were investigating "truth" 300-500 years before Christ. The ancient Greeks had far far more impact on Western Philosophy than Christianity. Do you not do any research before you shit out your ignorance? Now dance for me as you try to cover your latest display of ignorance.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
05-10-2015, 03:24 PM
(05-10-2015 03:09 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(05-10-2015 02:35 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  The rationalist desire for truth, is just a bastard child of Christianity. Our western obsession with truth, is not a product of any biological predisposition, but an entirely culturally fabricated one. In our western world, it was the invention of Christianity's belief in a God of Truth, in which the early scientific endeavor to understand nature, was a means of understanding God himself.

ummmm no, just no. Socrates, Plato and Aristotle were investigating "truth" 300-500 years before Christ. The ancient Greeks had far far more impact on Western Philosophy than Christianity. Do you not do any research before you shit out your ignorance? Now dance for me as you try to cover your latest display of ignorance.

Yea, I know cultures that have built state churches, that are seeped in the Christian religion, and Christian imagery, in which the Christian religion is a dominant form of religious expressions, a religion that made a God of Truth, is less the source of a variety of our aesthetic ideals of western culture than Plato?

You're kidding right? If you want to claim that Christianity incorporated greek beliefs, that's one thing. But Christianity is the direct and prevalent source of it, among those of us in the western world. You didn't derive an idealized conception of truth, from any place differently than I did. It's all part of that 2000 year old water we've been drinking.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
05-10-2015, 03:27 PM
"That which constrains idealists of knowledge, this unconditional will to truth, is faith in the ascetic ideal itself even if as an unconscious imperative - don't be deceived about that - it is faith in a metaphysical value, the absolute value of truth, sanctioned and guaranteed by this ideal alone (it stands or falls with this ideal).""

"we men of knowledge of today, we godless men and anti-metaphysicians, we, too, still derive our flame from the fire ignited by a faith millennia old, the Christian faith, which was also Plato's, that God is truth, that truth is divine." (Gay Science, 344")

-Nietzsche

05-10-2015, 03:35 PM
And God says you can rape little girls who're taken as battle trophies Smile

05-10-2015, 03:36 PM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2015 04:57 PM by ClydeLee.)
(05-10-2015 03:24 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(05-10-2015 03:09 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  ummmm no, just no. Socrates, Plato and Aristotle were investigating "truth" 300-500 years before Christ. The ancient Greeks had far far more impact on Western Philosophy than Christianity. Do you not do any research before you shit out your ignorance? Now dance for me as you try to cover your latest display of ignorance.

Yea, I know cultures that have built state churches, that are seeped in the Christian religion, and Christian imagery, in which the Christian religion is a dominant form of religious expressions, a religion that made a God of Truth, is less the source of a variety of our aesthetic ideals of western culture than Plato?

You're kidding right? If you want to claim that Christianity incorporated greek beliefs, that's one thing. But Christianity is the direct and prevalent source of it, among those of us in the western world. You didn't derive an idealized conception of truth, from any place differently than I did. It's all part of that 2000 year old water we've been drinking.

You don't quite get the whole direct element very well... Yes, to scholars and leaders and builders in the Christian world. The ancient Greeks was still a motivator and then again a strong "Renaissance" motivator. As you know, why the Renaissance is called as it is called. It brought back up these enlightenment searches for truth to more profound reaching manners.

If something was there first, always help up to the esteemed honor, and routinely studied and influential.. it was a direct source of it. Christianity if anything is influenced via the Greeks so they're a step below that. It's rather simple correlation, even in some YEC view it's impossible to not acknowledge the Greek thought and views were there before Christianity.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson