Morality vs. Legalism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-10-2015, 04:11 PM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2015 04:22 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: Morality vs. Legalism
(05-10-2015 03:36 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  If something was there first, always help up to the esteemed honor, and routinely studied and influential.. it was a direct source of it. Christianity if anything is influenced via the Greeks so they're a step below that. It's rather simple correlation, even in some YEC view it's impossible to acknowledge the Greek thought and views were there before Christianity.

That's my read.
Or rather, that's Bertrand Russell's read.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-10-2015, 04:14 PM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2015 04:18 PM by Tomasia.)
(05-10-2015 03:36 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  You don't quite get the whole direct element very well... Yes, to scholars and leaders and builders in the Christian world. The ancient Greeks was still a motivator and then again a strong "Renaissance" motivator. As you know, why the Renaissance is called as it is called. It brought back up these enlightenment searches for truth to more profound reaching manners.

If something was there first, always help up to the esteemed honor, and routinely studied and influential.. it was a direct source of it. Christianity if anything is influenced via the Greeks so they're a step below that. It's rather simple correlation, even in some YEC view it's impossible to acknowledge the Greek thought and views were there before Christianity.

If you want to argue that Greek views influenced the NT writers conception of truth, I'm not going to argue with you. The NT writers made a God of Truth, declared it as divine. And it was this religion imported into western culture, becoming the exclusive religion of the western world, that gave birth to a variety of different bastard children, like humanism, and the enlightenment.

It's why atheists are so heavily indoctrinated into believing that truth is the highest ideal, why they find it reproachable to settle for comfort over truth. It's that preoccupation with that old metaphysical belief. It's why atheists have to borrow from the religion they despise, to feel comforted by their own exclusivist beliefs, to imagine that they have found the truth, and that the religion of truth is built on a lies.

They rejected those old myths, only to reincorporate them into their own.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
05-10-2015, 04:14 PM
(05-10-2015 02:35 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  The rationalist desire for truth, is just a bastard child of Christianity. Our western obsession with truth, is not a product of any biological predisposition, but an entirely culturally fabricated one. In our western world, it was the invention of Christianity's belief in a God of Truth, in which the early scientific endeavor to understand nature, was a means of understanding God himself.

It's Christianity that made the attainment of truth the most noblest of ideals, that linked Truth, with the Way, and the Life, or in other words the only way to live an authentic and meaningful life. It's why atheists will proclaim truth is a thing preferable to false comfort, or even false happiness. That's not a biological disposition, is one inherited from a religious superstition.

And it's the tits of this religious belief that many atheists are still sucking on. The long shadow of the God they no longer believe in.

Yes, yes. That's wonderful.

What is your point, Tom?

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 1 user Likes Unbeliever's post
05-10-2015, 04:58 PM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2015 05:03 PM by ClydeLee.)
(05-10-2015 04:14 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(05-10-2015 03:36 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  You don't quite get the whole direct element very well... Yes, to scholars and leaders and builders in the Christian world. The ancient Greeks was still a motivator and then again a strong "Renaissance" motivator. As you know, why the Renaissance is called as it is called. It brought back up these enlightenment searches for truth to more profound reaching manners.

If something was there first, always help up to the esteemed honor, and routinely studied and influential.. it was a direct source of it. Christianity if anything is influenced via the Greeks so they're a step below that. It's rather simple correlation, even in some YEC view it's impossible to acknowledge the Greek thought and views were there before Christianity.

If you want to argue that Greek views influenced the NT writers conception of truth, I'm not going to argue with you. The NT writers made a God of Truth, declared it as divine. And it was this religion imported into western culture, becoming the exclusive religion of the western world, that gave birth to a variety of different bastard children, like humanism, and the enlightenment.

It's why atheists are so heavily indoctrinated into believing that truth is the highest ideal, why they find it reproachable to settle for comfort over truth. It's that preoccupation with that old metaphysical belief. It's why atheists have to borrow from the religion they despise, to feel comforted by their own exclusivist beliefs, to imagine that they have found the truth, and that the religion of truth is built on a lies.

They rejected those old myths, only to reincorporate them into their own.

That's how culture works... I mean so what? Like Unbeliever said as well. You get influenced via the cultures before you and so and via your own culture. I don't think atheists believe truth is the highest ideal, but some do I suppose. Like perhaps Matt Dilahunty with his whole believing true things aphorism.

We all reject and recreate and combine. Wanna throw some Hegel quotes out for no good reason but only because it can fit the discussion as if to mean something? or how about this, “The religion of one age is the literary entertainment of the next.” Ralph Waldo Emerson. Do I need to then prove how literary entertainment is an influence to our believes and cultural influence? We can add some more 19th century philosophers to the mix; I truthfully do like the lot.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
08-10-2015, 07:58 AM
I see you are just repeating canards as a group. It isn't "condone rape of little girls". Women who lost a spouse in battle were to mourn 30 days for their lost husbands and had to do things that made them less than attractive to the Israelites--Israelites not supposed to marry foreign women as it was. Get over your prejudices, xenophobia, presentism and racism and get with the truth--the entire Bible has to do with what is clean or unclean, holy or unholy, saved or lost. The way Israelites not killing on command treated their spouses, children, foreigners and the rest serves as shining example among the pagan cultures of their day.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-10-2015, 08:11 AM
Laugh out load

Shining example to other Pagan cultures...... like the Greeks and their phylosophies that we still refer back to, even today?

Right, sure Q. Laugh out load
08-10-2015, 08:50 AM
(08-10-2015 07:58 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Get over your prejudices, xenophobia, presentism and racism and get with the truth

Go fuck yourself. Troll.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
08-10-2015, 12:56 PM
(05-10-2015 04:14 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  And it was this religion imported into western culture, becoming the exclusive religion of the western world
I don't think the western world has ever been exclusively Christian.
09-10-2015, 11:12 AM
(08-10-2015 08:11 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  Laugh out load

Shining example to other Pagan cultures...... like the Greeks and their phylosophies that we still refer back to, even today?

Really, you don't understand? We know the cultures back then were degenerate in morals and practices, except for Israel.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-10-2015, 11:27 AM
(09-10-2015 11:12 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(08-10-2015 08:11 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  Laugh out load

Really, you don't understand? We know the cultures back then were degenerate in morals and practices, except for Israel.

The pagan cultures were so degenerate....... that we still, to these days (For larger or smaller worth) quote back to their thinkers, agitators, tacticians etc?

And, as for your 'glorious' people of ancient Israel, we remember them for what? A book not even reflecting their true culture?

Laugh out load

Comedy gold Q, comedy gold.

Laugh out load
[+] 2 users Like Peebothuhul's post