Morality

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
25-09-2011, 10:50 PM
RE: Morality
(22-09-2011 06:37 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, Joe.

I only apologise once. If it aint good enough for you, that's your problem.
I wasn't looking for an apology, I was suggesting that you're a blatherskite.

(22-09-2011 06:37 PM)Ghost Wrote:  I can appreciate your excitement, but you made a mountain out of a molehill. When I explained that I wasn't championing the idea that humans DO live alone, but that morality requires social agreement de-riguere, you said it was a waste of time. Obviously I disagree but I have no meaningful counterargument for, "Well that was a waste of time then." So I said something nice. And you were too cynical and or petty to accept that. So I don't know what it is you want, but... actually, no but, I don't know what you want. A cookie perhaps? All I know is that it's rude to ignore someone's apology.

Pfft

Believe nothing you hear and only half what you see
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-09-2011, 05:36 AM
A blatherskite! Well you, sir, are a festizio! There. I can make up words too.

You're just not being a nice person now. When you're ready to use your words, let me know.
26-09-2011, 06:47 AM
Hmm, it seems to be a bit OT now, but I just have to say that I had to look up both blatherskite and festizio (even though I've seen that episode of Family guy) so thanks for teaching me new words Smile
26-09-2011, 08:33 AM
(20-09-2011 08:22 PM)17thknight Wrote:  Regardless of whether a species is predisposed to certain behaviors or not, there will always be individuals who do not act in accord with what we deem "wrong". It neither proves nor disproves my point.

That people do kill one another does not mean that it is a norm, or that it is a non-traumatic event. Killing another human being is anathema to our species. To take a life is something that is beyond comprehension until it is done, and people do not do it lightly.

I will agree, though, that people are inherently selfish, self-serving, greedy little monsters who require social norms to keep them from treating one another like total crap and taking advantage of each other. However, that being said, most people are not wanton killers, and it has nothing to do with societal rules. In fact, it takes some rather severe brainwashing to devalue a human life to someone to the point where they can easily kill.

Well, there you go! The way to be always right is to argue both sides, at the same time, with firm conviction.
The reason people need societal control is because they're "inherently" the opposite of their "natural" predisposition. Throw in a few extra words like "wanton", "traumatic" and "easily" to modify the continuous bloodbath of human history and explain it by "brainwashing" - which has no evident source in the universal predisposition.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
26-09-2011, 04:00 PM
(26-09-2011 08:33 AM)Peterkin Wrote:  Well, there you go! The way to be always right is to argue both sides, at the same time, with firm conviction.
The reason people need societal control is because they're "inherently" the opposite of their "natural" predisposition. Throw in a few extra words like "wanton", "traumatic" and "easily" to modify the continuous bloodbath of human history and explain it by "brainwashing" - which has no evident source in the universal predisposition.

You equate "treating each other like crap" with "killing" each other? Really? Because that's not what I meant at all. Kudos on taking everything I said out of context to make a pointless post with no actual refutation of any of my points save for underlining your own inability to make an argument.

[Image: 81564_gal-1.jpg]