Morals, Christianity, Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-11-2014, 06:01 PM
RE: Morals, Christianity, Atheism
(18-11-2014 05:52 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  The statement "We have moral obligations" does not require a religious belief to make or hold as true.

Let's test that out.

Do you believe we have moral obligations?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-11-2014, 06:14 PM
(18-11-2014 05:28 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Definition: A sense of duty, or course of action in which someone is bound or restricted to.

Good enough

Quote:Your obligation is not binding, since it's to yourself, and you can just choose to not be bound by it, or in other words you were not bound to begin with.

But now you are adding additional conditions.
- It isn't be an obligation unless it is imposed by an outside agency
- it can't be an obligation if it can be discharged

I disagree with both of those assertions.

Quote:But if he did own a vehicle and does drive it, does he then have an obligation to keep the brakes on? If so to whom does he have this obligation too?

You can say he does have an obligation to the state in such an example. Since he has a legal obligation to the state as a vehicle operator to insure the brakes are in working order. But outside of these legal obligations he has none.

In my estimation he has a moral obligation to everybody he interacts with along the road. I don't know if he thinks he has that moral obligation, I'd have to ask. He does have a legal obligation, at least where I live, but the two are not mutually exclusive. I also have the legal obligation but it so happens that the two coincide for me.

The society has created the legal obligation for the general safety and as long as he conforms to that I have no issue with his actions. If he doesn't also accept the moral obligation then I would expect I probably won't find him to be a very decent person overall and won't want to interact with him. The legal obligation is there because not everybody does accept the moral obligation. If they did the law would be superfluous.

You also seem to be contradicting yourself. Earlier it seemed like you were saying it isn't a moral obligation unless it is imposed from outside. Now you seem to be saying that it can't be a moral obligation if it is imposed from outside, only a legal obligation. So are god's commands only legal and not moral obligations?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
18-11-2014, 06:15 PM (This post was last modified: 18-11-2014 06:23 PM by WhiskeyDebates.)
(18-11-2014 06:01 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(18-11-2014 05:52 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  The statement "We have moral obligations" does not require a religious belief to make or hold as true.

Let's test that out.

Do you believe we have moral obligations?

Fuck right off. I said that it was up to YOU to demonstrate that your statment is true or has value. I'll answer your stupid word games after I get my demonstration that your statement actually caries value. You're gonna have to go off script lil' fundie 'cause your attempts at obfuscating your responsibilities has no effect on me. So take your question and fold it inside yourself until I get my demonstration.

My personal views on your statement are fucking irrelevant until you can demonstrate your statement has any value at all. The burden of proof is on you, so meet the challenge or shut your dick holster.

(18-11-2014 05:52 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  The statement "We have moral obligations" does not require a religious belief to make or hold as true. To claim otherwise means YOU have to prove that it does.
Bolded. Demonstrate. Go. Or feel free to slink away like you did the last time I asked you to back up one of your fucking claims.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
18-11-2014, 06:19 PM
The ghost of Jeremy Walker lives on...
Oh how I've yearned for these circular, baseless debates...

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 2 users Like Deidre32's post
18-11-2014, 06:21 PM
(18-11-2014 05:59 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Of course breaking an obligation doesn't mean you were never bound by it, but the fact that you were never bound by it means the obligation doesn't exist, or in other words it's not an obligation if you are not bound by it.

His binding to himself is merely a fiction, and all it takes for him to unbind himself, is a realization that he was never bound in the first place.

You can't be bound by a moral obligation that you do not accept. If you accept a moral obligation then you are bound by it. If you later find reason why you should not be bound by it then the obligation no longer exists.

You are not talking about moral obligations. At best you are talking about only legal obligations.

18-11-2014, 06:21 PM
(18-11-2014 06:19 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  The ghost of Jeremy Walker lives on...

The Q guy is a disingenuous fuck. Cool
18-11-2014, 06:24 PM
(18-11-2014 06:21 PM)Rik Wrote:  

The Q guy is a disingenuous fuck. Cool

Talking about ''Tomasia.'' But...maybe Jeremy has a twin. Unsure

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes Deidre32's post
18-11-2014, 06:26 PM

Which is exactly why I am not playing his circle jerk 20 questions game. The guy is plebeian in his thoughts on a good day.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
18-11-2014, 06:28 PM
By reading the OP, I can come to conclusion that he doesn't know what moral means.
18-11-2014, 06:31 PM

Forgive me, I'm new here and haven't gotten bored by them yet!

I'm about done since it is clear that whatever Tomasia is calling a moral obligation bears little resemblance to what I know by that term.