Morals, Christianity, Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-11-2014, 09:19 PM
RE: Morals, Christianity, Atheism
(18-11-2014 08:05 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(18-11-2014 07:53 PM)unfogged Wrote:  Your view of moral obligation is completely unintelligible to me.

My own personal views regarding moral obligations don't even matter here. For all intended purpose we can assume that I don't think they exist.

(18-11-2014 02:35 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(17-11-2014 11:36 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  "Name me an ethical statement made or an action performed by a believer that could not have been made or performed by a non-believer." -Christopher Hitchens

Easy, "We have moral obligations".

So you claim that we have moral obligations but we can assume that they don't exist?

It is quite obvious that you do not have a coherent idea of what moral obligations are, let alone where they are derived from. Religion is truly poisonous to rational thought.

Quote:I think my work here is finished.
The Titanic

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
18-11-2014, 10:19 PM
[Image: senpai_noticed_me_by_kira_nyan-d6mwiew.png]
I kid. Mostly.

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
18-11-2014, 10:59 PM
(18-11-2014 02:35 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(17-11-2014 11:36 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  "Name me an ethical statement made or an action performed by a believer that could not have been made or performed by a non-believer." -Christopher Hitchens

Easy, "We have moral obligations".

A non-believer who claims to believe this would just be a closeted believer of some sort.

Discuss.

Facepalm

Yeah, because believing you have moral obligation to anything BUT a super-natural deity just isn't possible. Moral obligations to friends, family, communities, societies, your species, or planet? Doesn't count. The ONLY moral obligation people are allowed to have are the ones that make them Theists.

Are you really that fucking stupid?

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 6 users Like EvolutionKills's post
19-11-2014, 12:45 AM
(18-11-2014 10:59 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(18-11-2014 02:35 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Easy, "We have moral obligations".

A non-believer who claims to believe this would just be a closeted believer of some sort.

Discuss.

Facepalm

Yeah, because believing you have moral obligation to anything BUT a super-natural deity just isn't possible. Moral obligations to friends, family, communities, societies, your species, or planet? Doesn't count. The ONLY moral obligation people are allowed to have are the ones that make them Theists.

Based on previous interactions with him: Yes, yes he is.

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
[+] 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post
19-11-2014, 02:10 AM
(18-11-2014 08:05 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  I think my work here is finished.
If by "my work" you mean acting like the proverbial chess-playing pigeon: yes, we really hope it's finished and you fuck off and let the adults discuss.

Imbecile.
[+] 3 users Like DunkleSeele's post
19-11-2014, 06:55 AM
(18-11-2014 10:59 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Yeah, because believing you have moral obligation to anything BUT a super-natural deity just isn't possible. Moral obligations to friends, family, communities, societies, your species, or planet? Doesn't count. The ONLY moral obligation people are allowed to have are the ones that make them Theists.

So you think we do have moral obligations then? Wink
19-11-2014, 06:57 AM
(19-11-2014 02:10 AM)DunkleSeele Wrote:  If by "my work" you mean acting like the proverbial chess-playing

It is very much like playing chess, everyone that decided to play will lose. It's only those that sit on the sidelines that don't have a chance to play.
19-11-2014, 07:04 AM
(19-11-2014 06:55 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(18-11-2014 10:59 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Yeah, because believing you have moral obligation to anything BUT a super-natural deity just isn't possible. Moral obligations to friends, family, communities, societies, your species, or planet? Doesn't count. The ONLY moral obligation people are allowed to have are the ones that make them Theists.

So you think we do have moral obligations then? Wink

Do you have an obligation to represent your faith in a good light boyo? 'Cos you're failing Wink

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
19-11-2014, 07:06 AM (This post was last modified: 19-11-2014 07:24 AM by Tomasia.)
(18-11-2014 09:19 PM)unfogged Wrote:  So you claim that we have moral obligations but we can assume that they don't exist?

I made no claims here about us having moral obligations, therefore I have no need to defend claims here that I did not make.

The challenge I accepted was one showcasing the conflict of being an atheist and believing we have moral obligations. Anything beyond this particular challenge is not one that I have accepted.

But just for fyi, believers of any stripe believe that there are moral obligation of some sort, that even your sense of obligation is in fact real and that obligation is to something higher than yourself, like the moral arc of the universe, and these obligation are made real just by the very nature of being human. We fail in essence by not living up to what we were intended to live up to, an intention and purpose inherent to us from birth. It could just be that these beliefs are all as imaginary as a tooth fairy, then we all are just back to square 1, that there are no moral obligations. You can very much claim that these beliefs in the something beyond ourselves is imaginary, and false, but I'm not interested in arguing the point. Forcing me to argue this, against my own will, is tantamount to rape, and I will call the appropriate authorities if need be.
19-11-2014, 07:26 AM
(19-11-2014 06:57 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(19-11-2014 02:10 AM)DunkleSeele Wrote:  If by "my work" you mean acting like the proverbial chess-playing

It is very much like playing chess, everyone that decided to play will lose. It's only those that sit on the sidelines that don't have a chance to play.
Quote-editing, huh? Thank you very much for confirming us that you're a dishonest twat.
[+] 1 user Likes DunkleSeele's post