Morals, Christianity, Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-11-2014, 03:05 PM
RE: Morals, Christianity, Atheism
I think by "thread" he means "forum".

I've made that mistake before elsewhere. Blush

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes CleverUsername's post
17-11-2014, 03:25 PM
(17-11-2014 01:57 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I would debate that proposition but would mention that the Bible nowhere commands any person to be moral or ethical, but rather, to be holy or righteous, which is different.

That sounds very Catholic. Screw morals, just praise Jesus, and all will be forgiven.

Yeah, been there, done that, and I'm not going back. Drinking Beverage

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
17-11-2014, 03:30 PM (This post was last modified: 17-11-2014 03:37 PM by Deidre32.)
(17-11-2014 01:57 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  It's been claimed recently by some on this thread that atheists may be as moral as Christians or anyone else. I would debate that proposition but would mention that the Bible nowhere commands any person to be moral or ethical, but rather, to be holy or righteous, which is different.

Your comments?

Ah, yes...because oppressing women and homosexuals, advocating outright bigotry, and condoning slavery as can be seen in the Bible...is so ''holy'' and ''moral.''

Enlighten me as to how atheists can possibly live up to this high standard of ''holy'' conduct.

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 4 users Like Deidre32's post
17-11-2014, 03:33 PM
Quote:Isaiah 64:6 For all of us have become like one who is unclean, And all our righteous deeds are like a filthy garment; And all of us wither like a leaf, And our iniquities, like the wind, take us away.

You can't be righteous, even according to your book of myth.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
17-11-2014, 04:08 PM
(17-11-2014 01:57 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  It's been claimed recently by some on this thread that atheists may be as moral as Christians or anyone else. I would debate that proposition but would mention that the Bible nowhere commands any person to be moral or ethical, but rather, to be holy or righteous, which is different.

Your comments?

Damn straight it is different! You can stray pretty far away from what us humans would call moral by obeying any "righteous" or "holy" requirements listed in any religious texts - whether they are 2000 or 200 years old. On the same page there bro! Next revelation?

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
[+] 1 user Likes Timber1025's post
17-11-2014, 04:19 PM

Your comments?

When the bible is chalk full of literal commandments on actions involving morality.. it's telling you to follow this moral code we are laying out. Thou Shalt not murder, etc.

The point is there is no distinction that people obeying this actions would be more moral based on peoples modern views of moral questions. And the big kicking reasoning is, some religious people act moral in order to gain the afterlife benefits, while many areligious only see benefit in humanities future in some moral actions... it's not based on personal gain in the same way.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
17-11-2014, 05:07 PM
If you need to be threatened with eternal suffering in order to live a moral life then you sir are a shitty human being.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
[+] 12 users Like SunnyD1's post
17-11-2014, 05:20 PM
(17-11-2014 05:07 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  If you need to be threatened with eternal suffering in order to live a moral life then you sir are a shitty human being.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^this!

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
17-11-2014, 05:38 PM
(17-11-2014 03:25 PM)Impulse Wrote:  That sounds very Catholic. Screw morals, just praise Jesus, and all will be forgiven.

Yeah, been there, done that, and I'm not going back. Drinking Beverage

Technically, Catholics believe in faith *and* works. Faith alone is for Protestants. Tongue

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
[+] 1 user Likes The Polyglot Atheist's post
17-11-2014, 06:32 PM

Your comments?

It is funny to see this here as I was told today that I am a true man of god. This is the 4th time this year that I have been told this. Now, I obviously take it as a compliment because I think people misconstrue god with good and think they are interchangeable, but I just take it as "You're a good person" and I like that I can help others.

In the back of my mind, I can't help but laugh though, as I think about how if there were hell, I'd be burning in it for sure. Apparently their goddar is off a bit.

Remember, just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it true. Yes, even if you have faith.