Morals, Christianity, Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-11-2014, 12:56 PM
RE: Morals, Christianity, Atheism
(19-11-2014 12:34 PM)Kaepora Gaebora Wrote:  Has it ever occurred to you that moral obligations are defined by people? It doesn't need a ethereal deity to exist.

Moral obligations requires the existence of something equivalent to an ethereal deity.

In fact if we could prove that they do exist, Ken Ham, and the Discovery Institute would shut their offices immediately, because they have finally found their nail in the coffin. No one would have to talk about irreducible complexity, because they struck gold with the existence of moral obligations.

The existence of moral obligations makes a compelling case for the existence of something like an ethereal deity. The non-existence of such things, makes a good case for why he doesn't.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-11-2014, 12:58 PM
(19-11-2014 12:56 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(19-11-2014 12:34 PM)Kaepora Gaebora Wrote:  Has it ever occurred to you that moral obligations are defined by people? It doesn't need a ethereal deity to exist.

Moral obligations requires the existence of something equivalent to an ethereal deity.

That's purely an assertion. state why? Why is that the case?

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 3 users Like ClydeLee's post
19-11-2014, 01:00 PM
(19-11-2014 12:56 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Moral obligations requires the existence of something equivalent to an ethereal deity.
Saying morals requires something doesn't mean they require something.
You need to demonstrate why they require it.

[Image: fdyq20.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like LostLocke's post
19-11-2014, 01:06 PM
(19-11-2014 12:53 PM)wazzel Wrote:  I am a parent and by choosing to have kids I obligated myself to taking care of them until such time they can take care of themselves. Of course no one can force me to care for them, but that does not make it less of an obligation.

I don't for minute doubt your sincerity. But when you say something like this, I ask that you step back for a minute, and ask the question what is it that makes this an "obligation".

Is it by the very nature of you being a father that makes you obligated? Are all fathers obligated in such a way? Are father's who have abandoned their children, those who failed their obligations?
19-11-2014, 01:08 PM
(19-11-2014 01:06 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(19-11-2014 12:53 PM)wazzel Wrote:  I am a parent and by choosing to have kids I obligated myself to taking care of them until such time they can take care of themselves. Of course no one can force me to care for them, but that does not make it less of an obligation.

I don't for minute doubt your sincerity. But when you say something like this, I ask that you step back for a minute, and ask the question what is it that makes this an "obligation".

Is it by the very nature of you being a father that makes you obligated? Yes. Are all fathers obligated in such a way? Yes. Are father's who have abandoned their children, those who failed their obligations?Yes.
19-11-2014, 01:10 PM
(19-11-2014 12:56 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  

Utter horseshit. Try providing some rational or factual support for that.
19-11-2014, 01:11 PM (This post was last modified: 19-11-2014 01:21 PM by TreeSapNest.)

Does having the view that you are obligated mean that you are obligated?
19-11-2014, 01:19 PM
(19-11-2014 01:08 PM)Rik Wrote:  Is it by the very nature of you being a father that makes you obligated? Yes.

May my children rejoice in knowing that I care for them, not out of some make-believe obligation to do so, but because I care for them. :-)

Sorry, Rik. I know you mean well. But you're pulling shit-out-your-ass here.
19-11-2014, 01:21 PM
(19-11-2014 12:58 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  That's purely an assertion. state why? Why is that the case?

Because there isn't any other way to establish them. If you think they can be established some other way, I would like to here it.
19-11-2014, 01:26 PM
(19-11-2014 01:19 PM)TreeSapNest Wrote:  
(19-11-2014 01:08 PM)Rik Wrote:  Is it by the very nature of you being a father that makes you obligated? Yes.

May my children rejoice in knowing that I care for them, not out of some make-believe obligation to do so, but because I care for them. :-)

Sorry, Rik. I know you mean well. But you're pulling shit-out-your-ass here.

Creating a new life does not obligate the father? How about the mother?

If you think either is not obligated to care for the child, you have your head very, very far up your ass.
[+] 2 users Like Machias's post