Morals, Christianity, Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-11-2014, 11:18 PM
RE: Morals, Christianity, Atheism
If you are holy and righteous and do something immoral, guess what, it's still immoral.

Being a good decent human being far outweighs any holy attribute, because holy doesn't imply moral.

And actions by a god doesn't imply that those actions are good.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
17-11-2014, 11:36 PM
(17-11-2014 01:57 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  It's been claimed recently by some on this thread that atheists may be as moral as Christians or anyone else. I would debate that proposition but would mention that the Bible nowhere commands any person to be moral or ethical, but rather, to be holy or righteous, which is different.

Your comments?

"Name me an ethical statement made or an action performed by a believer that could not have been made or performed by a non-believer." -Christopher Hitchens

Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
17-11-2014, 11:59 PM
I think of milgrams obedience experiments when it comes to religion.

People can bypass their morality and commit great crimes against others if the moral decision, choice and consequences are shifted to a higher authority.

Now, make that authority of yours infinitely powerful and has the ability to be immune to being punished for your wrong doings and you have the elixer that creates the most vile, evil, disgusting, and horrific deeds humanity can possibly accomplish.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
18-11-2014, 02:00 AM
(17-11-2014 02:18 PM)pablo Wrote:  So, if you believe your religious beliefs are correct, it makes you righteous?
Holy? Explain holy to me.

hole-E as in full of plot holes and loop holes
[+] 1 user Likes Ace's post
18-11-2014, 02:41 AM
(17-11-2014 01:57 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  It's been claimed recently by some on this thread that atheists may be as moral as Christians or anyone else. I would debate that proposition but would mention that the Bible nowhere commands any person to be moral or ethical, but rather, to be holy or righteous, which is different.

Your comments?

What makes YOU, Q, more holy, righteous and moral? Personally, I find righteousness and morality to be in frequent conflict with one another. And holy - you are a human, not god. How could you be holy and it mean something different than righteous?

What will you have done to improve this world and to have attempted to leave it better than when you found it? I find that actions speak louder than words, and have far more to do with one's morality than vague concepts of "holier than thou." I'm not looking for some vague answer like "I was an ambassador for Christ and a child of God." Nor am I looking for the false humility in an answer like "it would be prideful and therefore sinful for me to answer, my reward comes from heaven above."

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
18-11-2014, 05:26 AM
to me moral and immoral are just labels for outcomes of certain activities having some affect on others
18-11-2014, 06:08 AM
"There will always be good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." - Steven Weinberg

Remember, just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it true. Yes, even if you have faith.
[+] 2 users Like microterf's post
18-11-2014, 06:12 AM (This post was last modified: 18-11-2014 06:46 AM by Free Thought.)

Your comments?

You, of all people, are in no position to be making statements as to whether anybody is more moral than anybody else.

You are a disingenuous, pseudo-non-intellectual, ignorant, arbitrarily redefining, fallacious twat whose gimmick, I might add, is very tellingly imitating one of television history's biggest trolls.

I am of course a scantly intelligent, barely funny fool (with a Ph.D in Tomfoolery) who has built almost all his persona on being as facetious and sarcastic a twit as possible while still retaining what some might say are valid points, whom has the sole skills of basic literary ability and having virtually no boundaries for the mocking at hand; I'm the asshole who made jokes about Fast and/or Furious coming to a crashing halt this year and I'm still more qualified than you on such a subject, because at least I admit it.

[Edit: got the wrong series, what a smashing failure for me, eh?]

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 9 users Like Free Thought's post
18-11-2014, 06:29 AM
(18-11-2014 06:12 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  

Your comments?

You, of all people, are in no position to be making statements as to whether anybody is more moral than anybody else.

You are a disingenuous, pseudo-non-intellectual, ignorant, arbitrarily redefining, fallacious twat whose gimmick, I might add, is very tellingly imitating one of television history's biggest trolls.

I am of course a scantly intelligent, barely funny fool (with a Ph.D in Tomfoolery) who has built almost all his persona on being as facetious and sarcastic a twit as possible while still retaining what some might say valid points, whom has the sole skills of basic literary ability and having virtually no boundaries for the mocking at hand; I'm the asshole who made jokes about Need For Speed coming to a crashing halt this year and I'm still more qualified than you on such a subject, because at least I admit it.

Bravo!

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
18-11-2014, 06:41 AM (This post was last modified: 18-11-2014 06:53 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(18-11-2014 06:12 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  I'm the asshole who made jokes about Need For Speed coming to a crashing halt this year and I'm still more qualified than you on such a subject, because at least I admit it.

Need For Speed jokes make you an asshole? Huh

Or did you mean Fast & Furious after the untimely and accidental death of the series lead actor Paul Walker? Consider

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post