Morals, Christianity, Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-11-2014, 12:10 PM
RE: Morals, Christianity, Atheism
Is it moral or ethical to drop a topic on a board without any genuine interest in the discourse or to take the time to respond to the many who have responded to the OP?

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes devilsadvoc8's post
18-11-2014, 12:17 PM
(17-11-2014 01:57 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  It's been claimed recently by some on this thread that atheists may be as moral as Christians or anyone else. I would debate that proposition but would mention that the Bible nowhere commands any person to be moral or ethical, but rather, to be holy or righteous, which is different.

Your comments?

IMHO, it's very simple. Atheists do good things because it is the right thing to do and can alleviate suffering of another living being, or make them a little happier without causing more harm to ourselves or somebody else. To us, this makes sense.

Christians have absolutely no basis for morality. They have a handbook that tells them what is acceptable and what is not. They believe that this handbook is written by someone who knows what is best, so they follow it even if causes suffering to other living beings. Only then when it is FOUGHT for, and made obvious that one of the rules in the handbook isn't fair that they make exceptions for that group.

Remember, just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it true. Yes, even if you have faith.
18-11-2014, 12:55 PM
(17-11-2014 01:57 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  It's been claimed recently by some on this thread that atheists may be as moral as Christians or anyone else. I would debate that proposition but would mention that the Bible nowhere commands any person to be moral or ethical, but rather, to be holy or righteous, which is different.

Your comments?

A theist is commanded to live by the grace of their god. All is given to and taken from this god.

I have no wish to be holy or righteous rather, I strive to be ethical.

I take personal responsibility for my actions, while a theist is often unable or simply un willing to do the same.

So yes, there may indeed be a difference. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
18-11-2014, 01:09 PM
(17-11-2014 02:15 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  

Your comments?

On this thread?
This thread is like 4 posts so far.

Maybe people have taken for granted for hundreds upon hundreds of years that priests & popes, ministers and evangelists who proclaim to interpret the word of god (bible) and preached morals...they were taken at their word?
Take it up with them.....not us.

So....drive-by theist. Nice.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
18-11-2014, 01:27 PM
To answer (some of) your questions:

To be holy and righteous in the biblical sense/definition includes:

*A separation from some worldly things to cleave unto Jesus Christ

*Worshipping Jesus Christ

*Being cleansed by the Holy Spirit and forgiven of sin

*Etc.

Some atheists can be as ethical or moral as some Christians. I would debate that as a class, atheists are more moral than Bible-believing Christians but per the Bible, atheists, secularists and adherents of other religions are not as holy as Christians.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-11-2014, 01:47 PM
(18-11-2014 01:27 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  To answer (some of) your questions:

*Etc.

Some atheists can be as ethical or moral as some Christians. I would debate that as a class, atheists are more moral than Bible-believing Christians but per the Bible, atheists, secularists and adherents of other religions are not as holy as Christians.

It isn't hard to agree with the fact that as a demographic group, Atheists seem to have the moral high ground as indicated by prison statistics, and the Nations of Denmark/Sweden that are at the top tier of ranked civilizations, and secular. But stating that in accordance with the biblical/Xtian doctrine we are not...isn't really relevant to anything. What a clearly delusional group of people think of us based on their fabricated made up "holy book" and their skewed view of the real world isn't of any value. You may as well just quote something Ken Ham said as important, valid or intelligent. Rolleyes

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
18-11-2014, 01:58 PM
(18-11-2014 01:27 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  To answer (some of) your questions:

*Etc.

Yes, atheists are more moral. About 10% of the American public is atheist, or openly confesses to atheism, but less than .02% of atheists are in prison. Most prisoners are Christian, Muslim or are theistic in some way.

In the U.S. Atheists have a lower divorce rate than all theists except Mormons.

In countries around the world the more atheistic the country the less crime they have. Yes, atheists are moral.

That word "holy" makes me laugh. What the hell does it mean? Jeffrey Dahmer had a religious conversion before he was killed in prison. Was he "holy" ? Was he moral? I will never convert to any religion, I know there is no god, I don't go around killing people and yet according to many religious people I'm immoral. More immoral than Jeffrey Dahmer. It's just dumb.

And the word "holy" might as well be the word "zhfapij" . It just another made up religious word. It has no meaning.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
18-11-2014, 02:21 PM

*Etc.

WTAF? Are you saying it is better to be less moral and more "holy" than to be more moral and less "holy"? "HOLY" CRAP that is just one of the reasons why the world view of the deluded and religious needs to be mocked and pushed to extinction.

And what is this "per the bible"? Who cares? If society functioned as "per the bible", we all would be in that place you all would call HELL!

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
[+] 1 user Likes Timber1025's post
18-11-2014, 02:31 PM

*Etc.

So you're saying that this is what the bible commands us to do; and that it doesn't command us to be moral. Considering all the immorality and atrocities condoned by the gawd in the bible as well as all the parts dedicated to making sure gawd gets plenty of attention, dedication, obedience, praise, worshiping, sacrifices, and blind servitude, you just might be right.

Now, do you think this is a good thing? Consider

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
18-11-2014, 02:31 PM
(17-11-2014 01:57 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I would debate that proposition but would mention that the Bible nowhere commands any person to be moral or ethical, but rather, to be holy or righteous, which is different.

Your comments?

Except of course where it says to love you neighbor as yourself, and to do unto others as you would have them do unto you.