• 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-08-2017, 09:30 AM
RE: Morals versus laws
(05-08-2017 10:28 AM)BackSlider Wrote:  
(05-08-2017 09:05 AM)TSG Wrote:  Yeah, right! Laughat

Cool
Only to be fair, they all suc.
[Image: the-average-family-will-save-20500-per-y...582129.png]

Immediately upon implementation of "Obamacare" I saved over $3500 per year on just me, was able to add husband for the first time in MANY years. And was able to return to my doctor of 20+ years who I had had to leave under my employer's insurance plan because he wasn't one of their approved providers.

I have spoken to several people over the past few years who have sung similar praises. The ONLY people I have ever personally heard complain about Obamacare was a Republican family who were choosing to pay outside of the marketplace, had never once priced it on the marketplace, were paying "almost" $1700 per month for three adults. These people had a $million+ house, a pool house, a pool boy, a gardener, a maid, a dog walker, a handyman and an attitude. So you tell me, with an income to support that lifestyle, did they need subsidies for insurance? Could they have gotten a better price and better policy through the marketplace? We'll never know. Because they will never check on it and will forever continue to complain about the cost. And will forever blame that cost on Obama.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes outtathereligioncloset's post
07-08-2017, 03:38 PM
Some ancient Greek thinkers noted that each society creates laws. The laws of Sparta were very different than the laws of Athens. The Egyptians had their laws, the Persians yet another. And each tribe of barbarians had theirs. Obviously then the idea that laws are based on some readily observed objective ethics is called into question.

And then we have to ask the question, how do we decide what are the best laws?
What underlies the best laws?

Socrates, Plato and Aristotle, among others, struggled with this question. And we still do. Why choose one moral system over another?

Yog Sothoth! Yog Sothoth! Come back old ones! Yog Sothoth!

Cheerful Charlie
08-08-2017, 02:21 AM
(07-08-2017 03:38 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  Some ancient Greek thinkers noted that each society creates laws. The laws of Sparta were very different than the laws of Athens. The Egyptians had their laws, the Persians yet another. And each tribe of barbarians had theirs. Obviously then the idea that laws are based on some readily observed objective ethics is called into question.

And then we have to ask the question, how do we decide what are the best laws?
What underlies the best laws?

Socrates, Plato and Aristotle, among others, struggled with this question. And we still do. Why choose one moral system over another?

I would say that ideally, it is self-selecting. A "free" society with fair systems of government chooses the laws that the people in that society deem right for them. Of course, this is an imperfect method, but it's really the best we can do. As societies change, what they want changes.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-08-2017, 03:50 PM
Morality is about what you ought to do.
Laws are about what you'd better do.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."