Morbid curiosity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-10-2014, 05:50 AM
Morbid curiosity

I watched this Vsauce video today on why humans often "enjoy" disturbing/violent/scary stuff. It reminded me of some reactions I saw in the "Have you watched the beheadings" thread.

Just for those who think that it's not common or that morbid curiosity is something to worry about or something that makes you "weird".

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like undergroundp's post
12-10-2014, 07:11 AM (This post was last modified: 12-10-2014 11:09 AM by Cetaceaphile.)
RE: Morbid curiosity
That pack of hipsters really does my head in, but they generally know what they're talking about when it comes to this kind of thing.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
12-10-2014, 10:58 AM
Very interesting, thanks for sharing!

This made a lot of sense to me. I'm one of those people who loves a psychologically twisted movie or book. The more fucked up, the better. I've tried to figure out why I like them so much, and I decided it was because I liked feeling something out of the ordinary, being confronted with something I hadn't encountered before so that I could figure put how it made me feel. Sounds pretty close to what he was talking about Yes

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
12-10-2014, 11:32 AM
Hmmm, back in the centuries we had public hangings and beheadings and burning of witches and the lion's pit as public entertainment, and in modern day there are still public stonings....

These gaps are now filled by movies and books and games and whatnot, making it unnecessary to actually do horrid things to others.

I certainly think human kind would be better off if these things did not provide some type of reward to us. But - we are what we are and for some reason most of us need that kind of outlet.

Less obvious in that same category is malicious gossip, social media attacks, trolls and what have you.

Schadenfreude

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schadenfreude

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
12-10-2014, 11:38 AM
(12-10-2014 11:32 AM)Dom Wrote:  Hmmm, back in the centuries we had public hangings and beheadings and burning of witches and the lion's pit as public entertainment, and in modern day there are still public stonings....

These gaps are now filled by movies and books and games and whatnot, making it unnecessary to actually do horrid things to others.

I certainly think human kind would be better off if these things did not provide some type of reward to us. But - we are what we are and for some reason most of us need that kind of outlet.

Less obvious in that same category is malicious gossip, social media attacks, trolls and what have you.

Schadenfreude

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schadenfreude

Well, I don't think it's about pleasure exactly. It's not that we actually want people to suffer in order to get the "reward" of enjoying their suffering.

I'm fascinated by shows that deal with murders and stuff and I always get too immersed in all of it, but I'm left feeling freaked out in the end. I'd exchange that "pleasure" of satisfying my curiosity with the end of any kind of human suffering any day.

-Guybrush Threepwood-
12-10-2014, 11:49 AM
Yeah, I don't think it is a choice, it is some instinctual behavior. We evolved on a certain level of stress and fear, and in our relatively safe environment today we tend to find this elsewhere...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
12-10-2014, 11:51 AM
Definitely interesting.

I can't watch murder shows anymore. I get too freaked out.

However, when it comes to nursing, my favorite by far is trauma. The bloodier, more mangled, the better. It's more exciting.

Do I wish it on anyone? Hell no. But if it's going to happen, by all means, I want to be in the middle of it.

Nurses also have some really fucked up senses of humor. One aside I'd add to the end of the video where humor and horror overlap, humor can help cope with the horror.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
12-10-2014, 11:56 AM
(12-10-2014 11:51 AM)Nurse Wrote:  Definitely interesting.

I can't watch murder shows anymore. I get too freaked out.

However, when it comes to nursing, my favorite by far is trauma. The bloodier, more mangled, the better. It's more exciting.

Do I wish it on anyone? Hell no. But if it's going to happen, by all means, I want to be in the middle of it.

Nurses also have some really fucked up senses of humor. One aside I'd add to the end of the video where humor and horror overlap, humor can help cope with the horror.

That's interesting! I always wondered how people working in hospitals are so cool about everything happening in there. I guess you guys need something to survive in there too.

-Guybrush Threepwood-