More American school violence.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-04-2014, 08:50 AM (This post was last modified: 10-04-2014 08:53 AM by Bows and Arrows.)
RE: More American school violence.
Its a sad day when when a kid feels like this is the solution to his problem.

whether the problem is a mental health issue, an unaddressed bullying problem, or something else entirely different, that will come out in time.

I do know that students are under increasing amounts of pressure. My own 10 year old is feeling it this year in 5th grade, mountains of homework, testing out the wazoo. And talking with other parents (I can think of 10 other students in her class that I've talked with), she isn't the only kid who has stomach aches, skips meals, losing sleep, getting up at 2am to finish work, and afraid to miss a single day of school for a needed doctors appointment. She has given up all extra curricular activities. Our system is broken. The new buzz word for the kids that can handle all of this is "grit".
Its fucking ridiculous! Age 10.

Add in family stress, teen age hormones stress, these kids are a mess when they get to high school. Most kids don't flip out like this one, thank goodness. But there's a very serious problem that everyone seems to ignore.

I wish health classes at the middle and high school level dealt more with how to cope with problems, when to seek help, how to identify friends that might be struggling, how to handle it when your boyfriend/girlfriend breaks up with you, etc. Instead its still a problem for some parents to allow their kids to sit in on classes that talk about sexual health issues.

why he did it will come out eventually.
what will we, as a society, do to fix it is the real question we should be asking.

have we changed access, screening, number of available beds in mental health centers since Sandy Hook? NO. But our school installed a 'badge' system to get thru the glass doors.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
10-04-2014, 09:42 AM
RE: More American school violence.
I'm glad I don't go to public schools/schools with other children.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post