More Bullshit From Religious Parents?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-11-2013, 01:14 PM
More Bullshit From Religious Parents?
So today (yesterday, it's fucking 3 am), I accidentally caught a glance at my dad's phone and I saw a text from my mum, which said something like I am too scared to read the bible and face the truth.

I was really fucking angry, could've punched my best friend (not really). Mum was basically insulting me. I sorta took it on dad (I pulled a verse from the Quran about hell) but he's real cool. He told me not to talk to mum about it as mum's job is really stressful.

My mum's too fucking immature to just accept my lack of beliefs and has to stress my dad out. I can only talk to my dad about it but he's also really stressed with mum venting to him.

Yeah so just needed to put this thing down, calm myself etc. Thanks for reading.

Music is my religion
- Jimi Hendrix
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-11-2013, 01:40 PM
RE: More Bullshit From Religious Parents?
Hug It's hard, I know. They'll always be your parents. That's the biggest problem I see with some religions, if their children do not follow them exactly -- they are made to feel they failed.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

19-11-2013, 02:52 PM
Seeing that message would have infuriated me, too.
I think, though, it might allow you some sense of peace/calm to look at it from your mom's perspective:
However deluded she may be, she genuinely believes that if you don't believe what she believes, you will be in hell for ETERNITY. For her to accept your lack of beliefs would, from her perspective, mean she doesn't love you. Because how could a loving parent be ok with their child going to hell (hmmmm ironic, considering the biblical explanation of the god/human relationship haha but we already know religious people don't think logically when it comes to their beliefs).
I don't think looking at it from her perspective means you should be okay with her barraging you or trying to shove her religion down your throat, but I think to at least have the outlook that she's coming at her (however crazy and illogical) opinions from a place of love, might help curb your anger.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes QueenTit's post
20-11-2013, 12:16 PM
(19-11-2013 02:52 PM)kaylabrianne Wrote:  Seeing that message would have infuriated me, too.
I think, though, it might allow you some sense of peace/calm to look at it from your mom's perspective:
However deluded she may be, she genuinely believes that if you don't believe what she believes, you will be in hell for ETERNITY. For her to accept your lack of beliefs would, from her perspective, mean she doesn't love you. Because how could a loving parent be ok with their child going to hell (hmmmm ironic, considering the biblical explanation of the god/human relationship haha but we already know religious people don't think logically when it comes to their beliefs).
I don't think looking at it from her perspective means you should be okay with her barraging you or trying to shove her religion down your throat, but I think to at least have the outlook that she's coming at her (however crazy and illogical) opinions from a place of love, might help curb your anger.

Pretty much the response I was going to give.

I, as well as many here, have dealt with extremely religious parents. There have been periods of time when I refused to speak to my mother because she simply could not have a conversation about anything with me and NOT bring up god/religion.

A serious question, OP: Have you ever read the bible? If not, you should. The religious people that are still in my life learned very quickly to not use the bible against me in an argument. Mark Twain was absolutely correct in saying "The best cure for Christianity is reading the bible"

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
20-11-2013, 09:15 PM
You know what would really piss her off?

Reading the bible and still holding your ground as an atheist.
20-11-2013, 09:45 PM
When Theist say "read the bible" they don't mean "read.... the bible", they mean hold it and pray, or cherry pick your preachers favorite verses.
Nothing generates Atheists better than Bible reading.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".