More Christian Conversations with my folks(Christmas Edition)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-12-2013, 09:24 AM
More Christian Conversations with my folks(Christmas Edition)
So since I couldn't(or rather didn't want to) go home for Christmas I called my folks to check on them and yada yada yada. Anyway of course since it being Christmas and my folks being southern baptist the topic of do I even celebrate and such got brought up. I told them or course I don't really celebrate but not because I'm an atheist I just don't celebrate any holidays not even my birthday its just not my style.

And with all this Christmas/atheist talk my father blurts out "You know the problem with you? You try and understand everything. You can't just accept that you won't know everything." This in turn immediately made me laugh my atheistic ass off. I just respond with "Dad I'd rather know the truth then live in silence in the dark" and left it at that. I dunno just all of this is making me realize that I'm never going to be fully accepted by them.

The discussion went on to the whole what happens when you die topic( What the fuck is wrong with my family isn't Christmas suppose to be joyous). I mentioned that if I'm wrong I accept my fate like a man and I'd rather go to their "hell" than live an eternity bowing to anyone or anything, that's what we call a tyrant not a God. My mom responds with "well since it doesn't matter would it hurt for us to pray for your soul because I can't stand the thought of you going to hell". Not missing a beat I respond "Maybe you should save your prayer for yourself instead of wasting it on someone who doesn't bow down"? -Awkward silence-

I break the silence with a "merry Christmas" and a "I love you guys" and I hang up.

Well guess I'm not going home anytime soon Drinking Beverage
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-12-2013, 09:36 AM
RE: More Christian Conversations with my folks(Christmas Edition)
(26-12-2013 09:24 AM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  So since I couldn't(or rather didn't want to) go home for Christmas I called my folks to check on them and yada yada yada. Anyway of course since it being Christmas and my folks being southern baptist the topic of do I even celebrate and such got brought up. I told them or course I don't really celebrate but not because I'm an atheist I just don't celebrate any holidays not even my birthday its just not my style.

And with all this Christmas/atheist talk my father blurts out "You know the problem with you? You try and understand everything. You can't just accept that you won't know everything." This in turn immediately made me laugh my atheistic ass off. I just respond with "Dad I'd rather know the truth then live in silence in the dark" and left it at that. I dunno just all of this is making me realize that I'm never going to be fully accepted by them.

The discussion went on to the whole what happens when you die topic( What the fuck is wrong with my family isn't Christmas suppose to be joyous). I mentioned that if I'm wrong I accept my fate like a man and I'd rather go to their "hell" than live an eternity bowing to anyone or anything, that's what we call a tyrant not a God. My mom responds with "well since it doesn't matter would it hurt for us to pray for your soul because I can't stand the thought of you going to hell". Not missing a beat I respond "Maybe you should save your prayer for yourself instead of wasting it on someone who doesn't bow down"? -Awkward silence-

I break the silence with a "merry Christmas" and a "I love you guys" and I hang up.

Well guess I'm not going home anytime soon Drinking Beverage

aww - that sucks. I'm sorry that you had to go through that sort of conversation during the holidays. And if you go home for a visit yes it might be awkward. I got through a lot of that kind of thing by reminding myself of two things where my folks were concerned: (1) In their religion they were supposed to *witness* - it was part of their belief system and (2) they were doing what they felt was right.
Even IF or When you disagree with someone's choice of religion you can take the sting out of it a little by reminding yourself that they're doing the best they can. Might be wrong as hell in your mind BUT you can see them in a softer light.

I happen to believe that the majority of people involved or dedicated to religion are trying to follow their hearts. They *feel* the way they *feel*. Nothing rational or logical about it. They are simply led by their emotions. And because those feelings are strong (even controlling) - so they are doing the best they can.

The world at large isn't going to change its attitude towards religion over night. Meanwhile the ONE group of people we can be empathetic towards and forgive their *feelings* are our parents. For we know they are TRYING to be good people and lead good lives. Religion (for them) is what makes that happen.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
26-12-2013, 09:41 AM
For we know they are TRYING to be good people and lead good lives. Religion (for them) is what makes that happen.
[/quote]

This is what I really don't like though. It leads me to believe that without their God they would not be as good as they should(not just my folks but religious people in general). And I guess a little part of me is ok with them staying with their religion because without out it a lot of these "sheeple" would lose their minds.
26-12-2013, 09:58 AM
(26-12-2013 09:41 AM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  For we know they are TRYING to be good people and lead good lives. Religion (for them) is what makes that happen.

This is what I really don't like though. It leads me to believe that without their God they would not be as good as they should(not just my folks but religious people in general). And I guess a little part of me is ok with them staying with their religion because without out it a lot of these "sheeple" would lose their minds.
[/quote]

You're not wrong and I appreciate where you're coming from. It's just a technique that's allowed me to view people of faith in a way where I don't see them as the enemy.
It could be that since you've awakened from superstition and freed yourself from the bonds of religion that you WANT that for the people you love also. I understand that. But I'm just one of those people who feels strongly that folks only really benefit from making their OWN choices. You can short-term convince someone of this or that - but they will rely on their core beliefs more often than not.

If someone's going to convert - in my way of thinking - it needs to come FROM them FOR them. Then - in my opinion - it will be Real (for them). You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make them drink.

Being sympathetic for your folks yet Sharing the knowledge you have...and slowly allow them to reach a valued decision is the best process (IMHO)

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.