Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-06-2017, 02:24 PM
More Earth-like planets found
The news report:

NASA telescope finds 10 more Earth-sized, potentially habitable planets

[Image: kepler_1.jpg]

From the article:
Quote:NASA says its planet-hunting telescope has found 10 new planets outside our solar system that are likely the right size and temperature to potentially have life on them... NASA says several of the 10 new potentially habitable planets circle stars similar in size to our sun.

NASA also announced 219 new planets. To date, Kepler has found 4,034 planet candidates. Of those, 2,335 have been verified as exoplanets.

The NASA release: NASA Releases Kepler Survey Catalog with Hundreds of New Planet Candidates

There's only one thing I really, really want confirmed before I die: life on another planet. Doesn't have to be intelligent or technological, just life. Bacteria. Fish. Anything.

Looks like I just may get my wish.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 13 users Like Heath_Tierney's post
20-06-2017, 02:43 AM
RE: More Earth-like planets found
That is truly amazing!

Does it say how far away they are? If I have my space travel correct, which I probably don't, if it's X amount of light years away when looking at it from here, we're looking at the past? IE if somebody 100 million light years away could see earth, they would see dinosaurs roaming about?

Just wondering if there is life, what we would see, and potentially what would be there should we ever make it there in the future.

I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!
20-06-2017, 06:30 AM
(20-06-2017 02:43 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  That is truly amazing!

Does it say how far away they are? If I have my space travel correct, which I probably don't, if it's X amount of light years away when looking at it from here, we're looking at the past? IE if somebody 100 million light years away could see earth, they would see dinosaurs roaming about?

Just wondering if there is life, what we would see, and potentially what would be there should we ever make it there in the future.

Indeed you see the past. That's true for everything. More stark for distant objects. If you live 80 or so light years away, you might catch live broadcasts of an irate quasi-midget former painter ranting against Jews in post-Weimar Germany, from earth.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
20-06-2017, 07:32 AM
Does God know about this? Consider Tongue

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 5 users Like jennybee's post
20-06-2017, 02:46 PM
And not a moment too soon...

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
20-06-2017, 09:39 PM
(20-06-2017 02:43 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  That is truly amazing!

Kepler didn't look more than a few hundred light-years out. Assuming their culture evolved exactly parallel to and synchronous with ours the best you'd see is them discovering the Americas. Not that you'd be able to resolve anything that tiny. The actual planets are to small to be seen directly, so good luck with the inhabitants.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
09-07-2017, 10:05 AM
(19-06-2017 02:24 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  From the article:
Quote:NASA says its planet-hunting telescope has found 10 new planets outside our solar system that are likely the right size and temperature to potentially have life on them... NASA says several of the 10 new potentially habitable planets circle stars similar in size to our sun.

NASA also announced 219 new planets. To date, Kepler has found 4,034 planet candidates. Of those, 2,335 have been verified as exoplanets.

The NASA release: NASA Releases Kepler Survey Catalog with Hundreds of New Planet Candidates

The last time I looked at the list it didn't contain a single habitable candidate. I would have to look again but I wouldn't get my hopes up. I would be extremely surprised if any of the 10 new candidates is even remotely likely. I've seen planets the size of Ceres put on the list. A true candidate planet will almost certainly have to be larger than Earth and a little further from the sun. 1.5 - 2.0 Earth masses seems to the most likely. Keep in mind that Venus is "very Earthlike" but isn't a habitable candidate even if it were in the same orbit as Earth. I'm sorry but the current sorting process is very overly optimistic.

The bottom line is that you cannot confirm a real candidate with current telescopes. James Webb, maybe.
[+] 2 users Like scientious's post
16-07-2017, 12:24 AM
From estimates of the number of stars and number of planets per star, the number of planets should be about 2.4 trillion trillion. That leaves out the number of moons and asteroids that might support life.

Next we look at what forms life might take. It might be quite different from life here, might ingest sulfur or whatever, thus maybe larger % could harbor life.

Given the above, I would say that the probability of no other planet ever having life is quite small.

OF COURSE THERE IS, OR HAS BEEN, LIFE ON OTHER BODIES.
16-07-2017, 06:17 AM
(09-07-2017 10:05 AM)scientious Wrote:  
(19-06-2017 02:24 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  From the article:

The last time I looked at the list it didn't contain a single habitable candidate. I would have to look again but I wouldn't get my hopes up. I would be extremely surprised if any of the 10 new candidates is even remotely likely. I've seen planets the size of Ceres put on the list. A true candidate planet will almost certainly have to be larger than Earth and a little further from the sun. 1.5 - 2.0 Earth masses seems to the most likely. Keep in mind that Venus is "very Earthlike" but isn't a habitable candidate even if it were in the same orbit as Earth. I'm sorry but the current sorting process is very overly optimistic.

The bottom line is that you cannot confirm a real candidate with current telescopes. James Webb, maybe.
Could be they're putting candidates on the list for future sorting when the capacity exists. Better to have it on the list and known to researchers than to pass it by and have it forgotten.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-07-2017, 06:35 AM
Makes me super excited for the launch of the James Webb telescppe next year!

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/