More Earth-like planets found

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-07-2017, 09:28 AM
RE: More Earth-like planets found
(16-07-2017 09:27 AM)scientious Wrote:  Proving that there are no radio transmissions might take something more involved like building a radio dish array on the far side of the Moon. At least, it might be useful for radio astronomy.
And why would an advanced civilization use radio anyway? Broadcast a signal? Waste of power.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-07-2017, 09:31 AM
(16-07-2017 09:28 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  And why would an advanced civilization use radio anyway? Broadcast a signal? Waste of power.

What would the alternative be?
Find all posts by this user
16-07-2017, 09:48 AM
(16-07-2017 09:28 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(16-07-2017 09:27 AM)scientious Wrote:  Proving that there are no radio transmissions might take something more involved like building a radio dish array on the far side of the Moon. At least, it might be useful for radio astronomy.
And why would an advanced civilization use radio anyway? Broadcast a signal? Waste of power.

But if there's lots of intelligent life out there, like some of these theoretical guys suggest, the question becomes why aren't ANY of them (within range) doing it. At some point, the LACK of evidence starts to influence the guess work.
16-07-2017, 09:51 AM
(16-07-2017 09:31 AM)scientious Wrote:  
(16-07-2017 09:28 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  And why would an advanced civilization use radio anyway? Broadcast a signal? Waste of power.

What would the alternative be?

Something better.

When I write scifi and haven't settled on the "super smart scientist who gets Our Hero out of a jam by inventing something" I call him "Dr. Someguy". As in "Some guy invented a new way of communication."

Point is, radio looks likely to have a definite period of use, and thinks like laser communications or fiber optics are more reliable, more secure, etc., than a broadcast signal. On the 200th anniversary of the "S" signal I believe most people will be "Radio? What's that?"
16-07-2017, 10:07 AM
(16-07-2017 09:51 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Point is, radio looks likely to have a definite period of use, and thinks like laser communications or fiber optics are more reliable, more secure, etc., than a broadcast signal. On the 200th anniversary of the "S" signal I believe most people will be "Radio? What's that?"

I'm sorry but you aren't making much sense. Yes, it was common in science fiction before WWII to use devices not based on physics or science. You can see this with authors like E.E. Doc Smith. This is continued today in steam punk. In mainstream you only tend to see it with things like interstellar travel. Star Trek did use several fanciful devices beyond warp drive including tractor beams, replicators, and transporters (and the newer episodes got even more ridiculous).

Anyway, there isn't even a theoretical basis for something other than radio. You can't very well attach a fiber optic line to a satellite and a laser broadcast wouldn't cover very many people. Imagine if you had to use laser to make a cell call or link your computer to a network. That would be annoying.
16-07-2017, 10:13 AM
If they are out there they have good reason for staying away.

[Image: CoA0LgVWgAAaKQW.jpg]

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
16-07-2017, 10:57 AM
(16-07-2017 10:07 AM)scientious Wrote:  
(16-07-2017 09:51 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Point is, radio looks likely to have a definite period of use, and thinks like laser communications or fiber optics are more reliable, more secure, etc., than a broadcast signal. On the 200th anniversary of the "S" signal I believe most people will be "Radio? What's that?"

I'm sorry but you aren't making much sense. Yes, it was common in science fiction before WWII to use devices not based on physics or science. You can see this with authors like E.E. Doc Smith. This is continued today in steam punk. In mainstream you only tend to see it with things like interstellar travel. Star Trek did use several fanciful devices beyond warp drive including tractor beams, replicators, and transporters (and the newer episodes got even more ridiculous).

Anyway, there isn't even a theoretical basis for something other than radio. You can't very well attach a fiber optic line to a satellite and a laser broadcast wouldn't cover very many people. Imagine if you had to use laser to make a cell call or link your computer to a network. That would be annoying.
Okay then. Drinking Beverage
16-07-2017, 11:20 AM
(16-07-2017 10:07 AM)scientious Wrote:  

Laser would be ideal for interplanetary or (long-turnaround) interstellar communications. Precise, relatively affordable, able to transmit data very efficiently.
16-07-2017, 04:59 PM (This post was last modified: 16-07-2017 05:03 PM by scientious.)
(16-07-2017 11:20 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Laser would be ideal for interplanetary or (long-turnaround) interstellar communications. Precise, relatively affordable, able to transmit data very efficiently.
You may be confusing laser with maser. We do use masers for this. I don't know of any suggestion to use lasers to communicate with probes even inside the solar system. The longest ranging application of a laser that I am aware of is the distance measuring by bouncing a laser off reflectors on the moon. This is much more precise than using radar.
17-07-2017, 10:58 AM
In 1985, as part of the introduction to The Songs of Distant Earth, Arthur C. Clarke wrote, "I would like to see the whole debate given a decade or two of benign neglect, while the radioastronomers, like gold miners panning for dust, quietly sieve through the torrents of noise pouring down the sky." I'd link to it but I'm holding the paperback in my hand. Well, over three decades have passed. If you ask me, Fermi's question is a fair one.