More Governmental Overreach - and Stupidity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-05-2016, 10:16 AM
More Governmental Overreach - and Stupidity
OK -- I'll be first to admit that I'm behind the times once in a while -- it's called being busy.........

Anyway -- so I now find out that radio controlled aircraft have to be registered with the FAA.....

Why????

"To help control terrorism".....

How is it going to do this???

Because - it "requires all aircraft between .5 and 55 lbs to have the owner's FAA issued registration number affixed to the aircraft"... (at the flyer's expense of $5....)

HEY -- DUMB CUNTS ----

Terrorists won't have registration numbers.

And the funny part?

There's going to be people who defend this stupidity.

[whine] "Please make me safe government!!!" [/whine]

fucking idiots....

Angry

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-05-2016, 10:49 AM
RE: More Governmental Overreach - and Stupidity
It would seem to me that you're deliberately misrepresenting this issue by implying the sole reason for these registration requirements is to help control terrorist activities. This is not the case. There are other more relevant issues involved such as encroachment into controlled airspace above forest fires and the subsequent forced grounding of firefighting planes, unmanned aircraft operations near passenger-carrying aircraft and/or major airports, and disruptive collisions with high tension power lines.

Refer: Registration and Marking Requirements for Small Unmanned Aircraft.

Can I ask why you're so very angered by this new regulation? Does it have some sort of direct implications for your personal freedoms? I'm just curious as to why you've taken the time to comment on it.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 3 users Like SYZ's post
09-05-2016, 10:57 AM
People have been flying these things for 30+ years and it's never been an issue. The government just wants to control everything. Fuck them.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Lord Dark Helmet's post
09-05-2016, 11:14 AM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2016 11:18 AM by GirlyMan.)
(09-05-2016 10:57 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  People have been flying these things for 30+ years and it's never been an issue. The government just wants to control everything. Fuck them.

That's not it. It really is a safety issue. FAA has required registration and even evidence of operator competency for larger class UAVs before this. Why the outrage? This is just the FAA recognizing potential aircraft safety issues. Think that is what they should be doing.

The statutory parameters of a model aircraft operation are outlined in Section 336 of Public Law 112-95 (the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012) (PDF). Individuals who fly within the scope of these parameters do not require permission to operate their UAS; any flight outside these parameters (including any non-hobby, non-recreational operation) requires FAA authorization.

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
09-05-2016, 11:19 AM
(09-05-2016 10:49 AM)SYZ Wrote:  It would seem to me that you're deliberately misrepresenting this issue by implying the sole reason for these registration requirements is to help control terrorist activities. This is not the case. There are other more relevant issues involved such as encroachment into controlled airspace above forest fires and the subsequent forced grounding of firefighting planes, unmanned aircraft operations near passenger-carrying aircraft and/or major airports, and disruptive collisions with high tension power lines.

Refer: Registration and Marking Requirements for Small Unmanned Aircraft.

Can I ask why you're so very angered by this new regulation? Does it have some sort of direct implications for your personal freedoms? I'm just curious as to why you've taken the time to comment on it.

And if somebody's going to be an asshole and fly their drone off the business end of LAX -- they'll OF COURSE have their mandated registration numbers firmly affixed, right?????

Gimme a break......

Idiots will be idiots - --- registering the people who AREN'T idiots does nothing to restrain the morons who are......

I've been flying these damned things since the early 1980's. I KNOW what I'm talking about.

The hobbyist has NEVER been the problem. They paid good money for their planes and they don't want them destroyed - and go to great lengths to insure that they don't.

Hobbyists were also carrying AMA insurance through membership - with a 7 figure insurance coverage - LONG before the government got involved. My AMA number was in the 400xxx range ---(they're in the millions now)

This is just more governmental wringing of the hands to the crowd whining "DO SOMETHING!!!"...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
09-05-2016, 11:32 AM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2016 11:47 AM by Mr. Boston.)
Where are we guaranteed a right to the unfettered anonymous operation of flying machines? Sorry I can't side with the crowd that sees this as some kind of over-reach or encroachment. If you want to remotely control a flying object, especially one that could potentially be outfitted with surveillance equipment or weaponry, I don't see a problem with registering it. If a "drone" crashed into power lines, or drifts into the flight path of airplanes taxiing near an airport, etc. they ought to be able to track down who it belongs to. Whether these registrations will be an EFFECTIVE way to make these products safer and/or prevent terrorism is another question, but I think it's worth a try.

Most people operate their motor vehicles properly and safely yet (all gripes about lines at the RMV aside) few drivers would say they see the requirement to register their vehicles as some kind of oppression.
[+] 4 users Like Mr. Boston's post
09-05-2016, 11:36 AM
Because pilots report near misses with major aircraft every day. One of them into a jet engine, ... bye bye + fire + ??
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me...story.html

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
09-05-2016, 01:35 PM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2016 01:39 PM by onlinebiker.)
(09-05-2016 11:32 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  Where are we guaranteed a right to the unfettered anonymous operation of flying machines? Sorry I can't side with the crowd that sees this as some kind of over-reach or encroachment. If you want to remotely control a flying object, especially one that could potentially be outfitted with surveillance equipment or weaponry, I don't see a problem with registering it. If a "drone" crashed into power lines, or drifts into the flight path of airplanes taxiing near an airport, etc. they ought to be able to track down who it belongs to. Whether these registrations will be an EFFECTIVE way to make these products safer and/or prevent terrorism is another question, but I think it's worth a try.

Most people operate their motor vehicles properly and safely yet (all gripes about lines at the RMV aside) few drivers would say they see the requirement to register their vehicles as some kind of oppression.

Lemme guess --- you know NOTHING about RC aircraft -- fair assumption???

Do you know what happens when you hit a power line with an R/C airplane???

I do...

I have hi-tension and regular transmission lines on my property - and I've seen NUMEROUS collisions.....

It breaks the airplane into itty-bitty pieces --- and doesn't even scratch the power line.......

Those power lines are made of hi-tensile aluminum. The airplane is plastic and balsa wood..... Even if an engine DOES hit a power line (I've seen it happen twice) -- all that happens is the engine breaks - and the powerline doesn't.

Furthermore -- putting weaponry on an RC????

Gimme a fucking break. What are you going to put on it??? A rubber band shooter??? On most planes - they won't even get off the ground with a one pound payload. You're not going to get much "bang for the buck" trying to stick an AK-47 on an RC airplane...... Furthermore --- trying to AIM a weapon on an R/C ??? Good fucking luck.... I've seen guys with LOTS of flying time - who can't hit a balloon on a fly-by 20 feet away from themselves. The depth perception required to aim an RC from the ground to a target takes YEARS of training....

And putting a camera with a transmitter on board - and getting a usable signal back to the pilot???? Fucking forget it..... Most of the systems are only good enough for line of sight to the aircraft.... You're NOT going to fly an R/C remotely, miles away by a video link. The military? Sure -- they can afford the equipment involved. You or me?? Not happening.

Bud -- I've got over 30 years of doing this shit --- and doing it A LOT... I've been involved with video transmission - and it's not easy - or cheap. I've designed aircraft --- complicated multi-engine stuff -- from scratch -- and it worked and worked well. I know what the fuck I'm talking about.

R/C aircraft are NOT military drones. They're NOT capable of delivering a payload -- and aren't much use as a reconnaissance aircraft.

They're toys - expensive ones - (although prices have come down in the last few years on some of the stuff -- transmitters and receivers for example)....

This IS an example of government solving a non-problem......

Edit to add -- and it's ALWAYS been illegal to fly within 5 miles of an active airport.... WTF good is registering going to do - to the people who already obey the law????

Nothing.

09-05-2016, 01:37 PM
I would go ahead and get registered before I terrorist... how else do they know what my actions of fear stand for?

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
09-05-2016, 01:49 PM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2016 02:00 PM by Mr. Boston.)
True - I don't know a damn thing about RC planes, drones, helicopters, etc. I just don't see registration as government over-reach. As far as weaponizing RC aircraft, time has shown we can't imagine all the creative ways that determined people will come up with to attack others. How much precision would it require, for example, to fly over Fenway Park and drop some anthrax powder on the bleachers? Or even more likely, drop baking soda and nevertheless cause a panic as dozens get injured stampeding all over each other?

Are there other areas of interest to the public safety where legislative and law enforcement time and energy might be better spent? Undoubtedly. That doesn't make this an inherently bad idea though, and certainly not tyranny.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr. Boston's post