More Governmental Overreach - and Stupidity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-05-2016, 02:06 PM
RE: More Governmental Overreach - and Stupidity
(09-05-2016 01:49 PM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  True - I don't know a damn thing about RC planes, drones, helicopters, etc. I just don't see registration as government over-reach. As far as weaponizing RC aircraft, time has shown we can't imagine all the creative ways that determined people will come up with to attack others. How much precision would it require, for example, to fly over Fenway Park and drop some anthrax powder on the bleachers? Or even more likely, drop baking soda and nevertheless cause a panic as dozens get injured stampeding all over each other?

Are there other areas of interest to the public safety where legislative and law enforcement time and energy might be better spent? Undoubtedly. That doesn't make this an inherently bad idea though.

Yeah it is a bad idea.

It punishes those, who are not now, nor have ever been the problem.

Go buy an R/C airplane. Put it together -- TRY - just TRY to get it to fly over something you'd like it to fly over...... You won't make it past the first turn......

How do I know??? I've seen it happen -- over, and over.... People who THINK it's gonna be easy... The worst offenders -- guys who fly full size aircraft. They assume that because they can do it from inside the plane - they can do it from the ground....... Dumb....

It takes time - and training to fly an R/C airplane -- ESPECIALLY one large enough to carry a payload.... And modifying one to carry a payload????? It's laughable -- very few people could figure it out - and get it right without lots of help.

Again -- how do I know??? Because I've DONE it -- many times.

It's a "field event" that they do at R/C flying fields... They drop small bags of flour (or plastic eggs full of it) onto a target on the ground. To do it from a distance???? Good luck with that.

A potential terrorist would find much easier ways to reliably deliver a payload.

An R/C aircraft simply isn't the right way....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-05-2016, 08:26 PM
And yet...

http://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2015/07/...gs-drones/

If you can mount a gun, you can place enough C4 or Semtex to do serious damage. I make no claims that you or the airplane enthusiasts you know would do this. By the same token, someone else may.
10-05-2016, 06:18 AM
(09-05-2016 08:26 PM)Fireball Wrote:  And yet...

http://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2015/07/...gs-drones/

If you can mount a gun, you can place enough C4 or Semtex to do serious damage. I make no claims that you or the airplane enthusiasts you know would do this. By the same token, someone else may.

Did you not read what I wrote????

You'd be an idiot to even TRY mounting explosives on a radio controlled aircraft.

Let's look at the reality - and logistics of doing such a bone-headed thing.

First -- where are you going to get a plane that's capable of carrying a sizable payload ?(Let's go with 5 kilos. --- that's 2 kg of C-4 and 3 kg of shrapnel ---- say ball bearings or nails. Balsa wood and plastic don't work well as shrapnel - and just blowing off your C-4 is only a very expensive firecracker.)

Nobody that I know of makes an R/C aircraft designed for payload. So -- you'll either have to modify an existing plane - or build it yourself. Good luck with that.

Next -- who's going to fly it?? YOU???? So -- you're going to have to go learn how to fly. Do you think you're going to teach yourself??? Get ready -- it's going to be expensive. How do I know??? Because that's how I did it. I have a flying field at my house (we used to land full scale here (illegally) -- so a runway wasn't an issue) It took me the better part of a summer - building, crashing and rebuilding --- till I got a flight where I took off - flew around and landed -- without having to fix anything. It cost me almost $2000 by my reckoning. I guess I'm a slow learner -- but I learned everything you should NOT do......Not teaching yourself is probably the most important lesson. So - you'll have to go join a club - and get someone to teach you. (BTW -- if you think you'll learn to fly a fixed wing with a computer simulator -- think again. Helicopters, sorta --- fixed wing -- not so much)

So -- let's just say you manage to get a payload lifting aircraft - and learn to fly it (how many months did THAT take you?) - and you manage to scare up some C-4 (even I don't have any ideas of where to get that, without getting arrested) - let's say you figure out how to hook it up to a detonator, rig it to the radio controlled set - without accidentally blowing yourself up ---- Now --- you'll need a transport vehicle that's big enough to carry that bigassed airplane you're going to use. It will HAVE to be big to carry 10 kg. Probably at LEAST a 3 meter wingspan... So -- a box van - or an enclosed trailer.

What's your target? How about a Black Sunday scenario?- and you blow up the Superbowl.

Here's where it gets exciting. You have to park your big vehicle -- and unload your bigassed R/C -- and ready it for flight. Hope nobody notices you. You'll need a runway -- and clear sightlines to your target - AND -- you'll have to be close enough to the target to be able to use your depth perception to target -- but not so close as to be killed when your bomb goes off. Make sure you don't hit any power lines, light poles, trees, or curious onlookers who rush up to see what you're doing. Remember - this is public -- not a controlled flying field where hazards are kept at bay.

Sound complicated?

No shit Sherlock.....

Do you see why terrorists strap bombs to morons who are willing to set them off?????

Using an R/C for a weapon is impractical --- complete dumbass daydreaming - and the stuff of bad TV shows.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
10-05-2016, 07:00 AM
A $5 registration fee is government overreach?

Poor SJWs. So mistreated. Life must really be hard when you're forced to buy a sticker that identifies your toys.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
10-05-2016, 08:02 AM
Money obviously isn't the point.....

It's the point -- government "saving" us from an non-existent problem.....

Just like religion...............................

Fuck that....

10-05-2016, 08:19 AM
As a model aircraft enthusiast, I do not see a problem registering a flying mobile. For 5 bucks? Who cares. Unless one has 100 flying models. Then it gets expensive.

Build static models. No fee. Wink

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
10-05-2016, 08:57 AM
I'm not yet sure where I stand on this issue. On the one hand, drones are advancing at an unprecedented level, so much so that Amazon is already developing a drone that can transport packages over long distances. The damage someone can do with a drone will only become more and more severe as the technology matures. On other other hand, there are already a variety of creative counter-measures that can completely disable a hostile drone. You can see some of them in action in the videos below.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
10-05-2016, 11:19 AM
If the registration does NOTHING to prevent any crime - or solve any crime -- WTF is the point????????

It's to make weak white people feel safe.................

It's just like the 68 gun law that required people to sign for handgun ammunition -which was finally repealed at the request of the FBI -- because (according to FBI) it NEVER solved, or help solve a single crime in it's over 30 years existence.... Or -- like CB licensing.. It superfluous bullshit legislation that should have been shot down the minute it was proposed............

10-05-2016, 11:46 AM
(09-05-2016 02:06 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Yeah it is a bad idea.

Go buy an R/C airplane. Put it together -- TRY - just TRY to get it to fly over something you'd like it to fly over...... You won't make it past the first turn......

How do I know??? I've seen it happen -- over, and over.... People who THINK it's gonna be easy... The worst offenders -- guys who fly full size aircraft. They assume that because they can do it from inside the plane - they can do it from the ground....... Dumb....

It takes time - and training to fly an R/C airplane -- ESPECIALLY one large enough to carry a payload.... And modifying one to carry a payload????? It's laughable -- very few people could figure it out - and get it right without lots of help.

It's a "field event" that they do at R/C flying fields... They drop small bags of flour (or plastic eggs full of it) onto a target on the ground. To do it from a distance???? Good luck with that.

A potential terrorist would find much easier ways to reliably deliver a payload.

Yes, yes, yes..... we know you're an "expert" in the field of RC planes. You've told us more than a few times now LOL. And that none other of us are you know how exactly?

I'm just left wondering why you're so—literally—enraged by simply having to stick a handful of numbers on your toys? Your defensiveness and obvious overreaction to this non-event sounds all sorts of alarm bells.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
10-05-2016, 11:55 AM
(10-05-2016 11:46 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(09-05-2016 02:06 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Yeah it is a bad idea.

Yes, yes, yes..... we know you're an "expert" in the field of RC planes. You've told us more than a few times now LOL. And that none other of us are you know how exactly?

I'm just left wondering why you're so—literally—enraged by simply having to stick a handful of numbers on your toys? Your defensiveness and obvious overreaction to this non-event sounds all sorts of alarm bells.

Well, obviously the rest of his life must be absolutely perfect. He's only got this one tiny little thing that he can complain about. We should all be so lucky.

Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post