Poll: Do you think more guns means less crime?
Yes
No
I did until I saw these data
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
"More Guns means Safer" the nonsensical pro-NRA argument

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-04-2015, 07:00 PM
RE: "More Guns means Safer" the nonsensical pro-NRA argument
(13-04-2015 06:57 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(13-04-2015 06:54 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  You've got an interesting definition of "objectively"

Apparently you find objectivity anything that agrees with your opinion.

Anything else - is "insane"....

I'll tell you what, if you come back with any salient points about the op or the premise of the op, I'll address you. I've spent too much time letting you be a troll.

No, he's not a troll any more than you are. You are at opposites ends of the spectrum on this issue and are talking past each other.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
13-04-2015, 07:00 PM
(13-04-2015 06:57 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(13-04-2015 06:54 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  You've got an interesting definition of "objectively"

Apparently you find objectivity anything that agrees with your opinion.

Anything else - is "insane"....

I'll tell you what, if you come back with any salient points about the op or the premise of the op, I'll address you. I've spent too much time letting you be a troll.

Ahhh...

The old "I can't prove my point, so YOU are a troll" bit.....

OK....

I'll go with that.....

It's simpler than listening to you blather....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
13-04-2015, 07:01 PM
(13-04-2015 07:00 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-04-2015 06:57 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I'll tell you what, if you come back with any salient points about the op or the premise of the op, I'll address you. I've spent too much time letting you be a troll.

No, he's not a troll any more than you are. You are at opposites ends of the spectrum on this issue and are talking past each other.

He has been trolling since page 1. That makes him a troll on this thread.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
13-04-2015, 07:03 PM
(13-04-2015 07:01 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(13-04-2015 07:00 PM)Chas Wrote:  No, he's not a troll any more than you are. You are at opposites ends of the spectrum on this issue and are talking past each other.

He has been trolling since page 1. That makes him a troll on this thread.

It's also less about talking past one another, and that he has interpreted something in posts no one has said while completely ignoring the op's premise and information.

-Rick
13-04-2015, 07:04 PM
[img][Image: immovable_zps83ed3674.jpg][/img]

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
(13-04-2015 07:03 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(13-04-2015 07:01 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  He has been trolling since page 1. That makes him a troll on this thread.

It's also less about talking past one another, and that he has interpreted something in posts no one has said while completely ignoring the op's premise and information.

That's also a troll quality.

-Rick
(13-04-2015 07:04 PM)Anjele Wrote:  [img][Image: immovable_zps83ed3674.jpg][/img]

As long as I'm the goat

-Rick
13-04-2015, 07:30 PM (This post was last modified: 13-04-2015 07:56 PM by Stevil.)
(13-04-2015 06:33 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Yes - there's lots of crime and gun violence in the US. If by some feat of magic we were able to get rid of all the guns - the US would probably be the world's leader in knife, sword and vehicular death.. Why??

Frankly - there's a whole bunch of people with some seriously damaged DNA here.........
I don't think there is anything special DNA wise regarding USA citizens.
There is however a difference in laws and culture. There is the slave history, there is the polarizing based on religion, guns, abortion...

(13-04-2015 06:33 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  If you trust your police and military with guns -- how is that different from trusting anyone else?????
Police officers and military have much more back ground checks done, they are trained regarding weapons use and conditioned regarding attitude. they operate under much more restrictive rules than the general Joe. But even given all this, I think it makes sense for police to only carry guns in special circumstances.
(13-04-2015 06:33 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  The whole point of weapon ownership isn't the ownership.

It's the absence of prohibition of ownership.
Politically I am very liberal. I am against over intervention by government and law.
I want govt involved only when there is public danger. I see guns as a danger to public.
(13-04-2015 06:33 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  To deny the power of gun ownership is the same as denying any other basic right. Like free speech, or free association........
This is a perception that some USA citizens have due to their constitution and ammendments.
I see guns as a priviledge rather than a right.

(13-04-2015 06:51 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-04-2015 06:16 PM)Stevil Wrote:  I think it is hard to get reasonable stats. Both sides play a propoganda game.
I would like to know how many homes have hand guns, because crimes are generally carried out with hand guns due to their concealable nature.
I'd like to know how many homes have semi-auto rifles such as AR-15, Bushmaster. I consider an owner of 0.22 and 0.308 and shotgun to be more interested in hunting vermin or game animals but an owner of AR-15, Bushmaster to be more likely to have more interested in war and heroics when compared to the other rifle owners.
Why do you think that? Consider
Just inner ponderings. I'm a male, I was a kid once, I used to own a slug gun, I used to think guns were cool. I've used 0.22 and shot guns to go hunting with. I've used pistols and 0.308 and shotgun at a range.
I know something of the excitement of guns.
I also acknowledge the danger of guns and recognise that people could make consessions regarding safety. e.g. a bolt action .308 rather than a semi-auto with large magazine.
(13-04-2015 06:51 PM)Chas Wrote:  Also, there are many manufacturers of AR-platform rifles - are you singling out Bushmaster for a reason?
I don't know a lot about semi-autos. Bushmaster is a common one that Americans seem to talk about.
(13-04-2015 06:51 PM)Chas Wrote:  
Quote:Also it would be interesting to know how many homes have more handguns than adult occupants.

I suspect many do; what interests you about it?
If you have a handgun for personal protection, why do you need two or more?
Multiple guns means more in the country, means more opportunity for the crims to get them.
It also may indicate the owner has a fascination for guns over and above personal protection. I get a feeling that a reluctant owner is safer than an enthusiastic one. (I have no proof to back this up)

(13-04-2015 06:51 PM)Chas Wrote:  Apparently, it is pretty easy for a criminal to get a handgun. They often get them from people who buy them legally and sell them illegally.
The overwhelming majority of firearms used in crimes in the U.S. are handguns.
That's the thing. Making them legal makes them common place in society and provides crims ample opportunity to get them. The argument of making them illegal means only crims will have them ignores that it will be more difficult for crims to get them.
BTW, I understand that in USA the horse has already bolted.
[+] 3 users Like Stevil's post
13-04-2015, 07:46 PM
To be fair, if I had 10,000 guns, I would not be any more likely to commit a crime.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
13-04-2015, 08:06 PM
Quote:I've been doing this a long time.....

Let me share....

Back in the 60's...

Quote:...here in the US it was decided that "gun control" wasn't enough... So--- they decided that ammunition might be the problem --- so there were laws passed that required the showing of identification and signature to buy handgun ammunition.

It was repealed a few years back. Why????

By the FBI's own statistics -- it had not solved ONE case - in the over 40 years that it had been enforced.

Why???

Because people who do things legally - aren't the problem.

They rarely are.

All the draconian laws in the world -- including total bans on private gun ownership will not cause evil people, from doing evil things......

It's really that simple..

Of course the sale of ammunition isn't going to solve shit. You don't trace bullets because they're made by a certain manufacturer or whatever, you trace them because the rifling in every gun is unique and leaves a mark on the bullets that can traced to certain guns.

Regulating ammunition and knowing who has what is stupid. I'm not saying keep a registry of who has what ammo, I'm saying keep a registry of who owns what gun.

Quote:History shows that disarming the populace is always present in a totalitarian agenda.

Do you even hear yourself Chas?

Yes, clearly wanting tighter gun laws in America is all a big conspiracy to make the US more of a dictatorship!! mowahahahaha!!

I was being fucking sarcastic by the way in case you didn't pick up on that.

Look at Australia, they went from loose gun laws to restrictive ones and they're not all dictatorship-y.

Annnnnd I'm not gonna read the rest of the thread, I'm just gonna assume that everyone tosses logic and reason out the window and it goes something like:

Person 1: "get rid of all gunz lolz"
Person 2: "no, don't take my gunz, constitution, protection, other stupid arguments"
Person 1: "get rid of all gunz lolz"

Rinse and repeat.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post