Poll: Do you think more guns means less crime?
Yes
No
I did until I saw these data
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
"More Guns means Safer" the nonsensical pro-NRA argument

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-04-2015, 12:29 PM
RE: "More Guns means Safer" the nonsensical pro-NRA argument
(14-04-2015 12:26 PM)Losty Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 01:18 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  Yeah, I don't agree. No offense.

You don't have to agree. You hardly know me well enough to form any sort of opinion on whether or not having guns would make me dangerous. It's smarter and safer for you to assume that it would. You'd be wrong though. I don't like guns. If I had 10,000 guns I would not be any more likely to commit a crime than I am now, regardless of whether you agree. I commit crimes. I violate the speed limit, I speed up at yellow sometimes. If I had a gun it would be locked up and if I had ammo that would also be locked up, separately. Perhaps if there was a loaded gun on my person at all times I might be someone more likely to commit a crime of passion or something. I still doubt it.

The thing is, at a statistical level having that many around is going to increase the risk rate regardless of any given individual's behaviour. That's what statistics are.

On the other hand, just about everything has an element of risk. The point of regulation is to decrease that element to an acceptable level.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
14-04-2015, 12:30 PM
(13-04-2015 08:08 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(13-04-2015 07:46 PM)Losty Wrote:  To be fair, if I had 10,000 guns, I would not be any more likely to commit a crime.

It's not about you or any 1 individual. It's about the small number of people that abuse the privilege.

If you have 10,000 guns, you're obviously enthused about guns and aren't going to be bothered if you have to go through a licence system and have them registered.

I wasn't making an argument really, I don't think the average person is made more dangerous by handing him a gun he knows how to use. I am certainly for stricter gun laws and probably would be nice to actually enforce the ones we already have while we are at it.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
14-04-2015, 12:31 PM
(14-04-2015 12:27 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 11:49 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Thanks. I'm am totally on board with those restrictions and safe-guards.

In MA can a all this be bypassed at gun shows?

No.

Editorial note: The so-called "gun show loophole" does not exist.

So you have to do a background check for personal sales of guns between two private citizens?

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
14-04-2015, 12:36 PM
(14-04-2015 12:31 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 12:27 PM)Chas Wrote:  No.

So you have to do a background check for personal sales of guns between two private citizens?

Surely that would be implicitly accounted for by the existing restrictions on licenses? I would have to imagine sales to unlicensed individuals would be illegal...

14-04-2015, 12:37 PM
(14-04-2015 12:31 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 12:27 PM)Chas Wrote:  No.

No, but that is not unique to gun shows.
In Massachusetts, the seller is required to see the purchaser's license and file a Form FA-10 with the state within 7 days of the transfer.
A private citizen may sell no more than 4 firearms per year privately. There is no limit on selling to a licensed dealer.

A federally-licensed firearms dealer has to do a NIC check, gun show or not.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-04-2015, 12:38 PM
(14-04-2015 12:27 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 11:49 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Thanks. I'm am totally on board with those restrictions and safe-guards.

In MA can a all this be bypassed at gun shows?

No.

"As of January 2015, 33 states do not restrict private sales of used firearms between private individuals, whether at gun shows or elsewhere."
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_show_loophole

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
14-04-2015, 12:38 PM
(14-04-2015 12:37 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 12:31 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  So you have to do a background check for personal sales of guns between two private citizens?

No, but that is not unique to gun shows.
In Massachusetts, the seller is required to see the purchaser's license and file a Form FA-10 with the state within 7 days of the transfer.
A private citizen may sell no more than 4 firearms per year.

A federally-licensed firearms dealer has to do a NIC check, gun show or not.

Then the "gun show loophole" exists, but that is a more narrow term than you'd like to call it. It is the "private sales loophole" where the "gun show loophole" is a special case.

-Rick
14-04-2015, 12:40 PM
(14-04-2015 12:36 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 12:31 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  So you have to do a background check for personal sales of guns between two private citizens?

Surely that would be implicitly accounted for by the existing restrictions on licenses? I would have to imagine sales to unlicensed individuals would be illegal.

Exactly.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-04-2015, 12:42 PM
(14-04-2015 12:40 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 12:36 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Surely that would be implicitly accounted for by the existing restrictions on licenses? I would have to imagine sales to unlicensed individuals would be illegal.

Exactly.

Licenses as in drivers license or official identification? Who is checking to see if a private citizen selling another private citizen a firearm is doing any of this?

-Rick
14-04-2015, 12:42 PM
(14-04-2015 12:40 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 12:36 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Surely that would be implicitly accounted for by the existing restrictions on licenses? I would have to imagine sales to unlicensed individuals would be illegal.

Exactly.

Consider
Sounds like a dangerous outbreak of common sense, to me. Someone had better move to contain that.