Poll: Do you think more guns means less crime?
Yes
No
I did until I saw these data
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
"More Guns means Safer" the nonsensical pro-NRA argument

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-04-2015, 12:48 PM
RE: "More Guns means Safer" the nonsensical pro-NRA argument
(14-04-2015 12:47 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 12:43 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Indeed, so it is important to note that it does exist and that it is a part of a larger loophole.

It's not a loophole. That is also a mischaracterization.

It bypasses background checks in states where there are no restrictions on private sales of guns.

I'd call that a loophole.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-04-2015, 12:48 PM
(14-04-2015 12:45 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 12:42 PM)Losty Wrote:  Yeabut...in most states it is not illegal to sell a gun to an unlicensed individual if you are a private party.

Yes, it is. It is unlawful to sell a firearm to anyone not legally able to possess it.

Private sales of guns are not legally restricted in 33 states Chas. In 33 states I can legally purchase a firearm from a person I met on Craigslist who can legally sell it to me. Once in possession of the firearm I would be committing a crime but the sale and purchase would not be illegal as private sales are not legally restricted in any way.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 2 users Like Losty's post
14-04-2015, 12:49 PM
(14-04-2015 12:45 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 12:42 PM)Losty Wrote:  Yeabut...in most states it is not illegal to sell a gun to an unlicensed individual if you are a private party.

Yes, it is. It is unlawful to sell a firearm to anyone not legally able to possess it.

But if you are not required to check their background, how do you know you have sold it illegally?

-Rick
14-04-2015, 12:49 PM
(14-04-2015 12:48 PM)Losty Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 12:45 PM)Chas Wrote:  Yes, it is. It is unlawful to sell a firearm to anyone not legally able to possess it.

Private sales of guns are not legally restricted in 33 states Chas. In 33 states I can legally purchase a firearm from a person I met on Craigslist who can legally sell it to me. Once in possession of the firearm I would be committing a crime but the sale and purchase would not be illegal as private sales are not legally restricted in any way.

Factor the internet into this and you can see how much of a clusterfuck this can become.

-Rick
14-04-2015, 12:50 PM
(14-04-2015 12:47 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 12:46 PM)cjlr Wrote:  In Massachusetts, according to the laws Chas has cited? Yes to buy, not necessarily to use.

Are laws magical? No; sometimes they're broken.

I only see 14 states that require some sort of licensure, and MA is one of them. But this isn't a federal law. The vast majority of states do not criminalize the sale of guns to individual without a gun license. Or even require a gun license.

Sure. And?

Who here is endorsing that?

... this is my signature!
14-04-2015, 12:51 PM
(14-04-2015 12:50 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 12:47 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I only see 14 states that require some sort of licensure, and MA is one of them. But this isn't a federal law. The vast majority of states do not criminalize the sale of guns to individual without a gun license. Or even require a gun license.

Sure. And?

I didn't say anyone necessarily was. I and Lotsy are pointing out that there are legal ways around it. Like a very simple trip across an arbitrary state line.

-Rick
14-04-2015, 12:52 PM
50 states choosing different ways to manage guns and gun owners, is a moronic system that leads to confusion, complication, and loopholes.

-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
14-04-2015, 12:53 PM
(14-04-2015 12:47 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 12:46 PM)cjlr Wrote:  In Massachusetts, according to the laws Chas has cited? Yes to buy, not necessarily to use.

Are laws magical? No; sometimes they're broken.

I only see 14 states that require some sort of licensure, and MA is one of them. But this isn't a federal law. The vast majority of states do not criminalize the sale of guns to individual without a gun license. Or even require a gun license.

No, but they criminalize selling a firearm to someone who is not legally able to possess it.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
(14-04-2015 12:50 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 12:47 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I only see 14 states that require some sort of licensure, and MA is one of them. But this isn't a federal law. The vast majority of states do not criminalize the sale of guns to individual without a gun license. Or even require a gun license.

Sure. And?

No one is endorsing it, silly. Some people are just pretending like it isn't true.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
(14-04-2015 12:53 PM)Chas Wrote:  

No, but they criminalize selling a firearm to someone who is not legally able to possess it.

How do you track the individual's who have illegally purchased it when there is no record of the private transaction?

-Rick