Poll: Do you think more guns means less crime?
Yes
No
I did until I saw these data
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
"More Guns means Safer" the nonsensical pro-NRA argument

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-04-2015, 01:18 PM
RE: "More Guns means Safer" the nonsensical pro-NRA argument
(14-04-2015 01:16 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 01:15 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  How does anyone prove I did anything wrong during a private sale in a state that doesn't require any background check or license check?

How does anyone ever prove anyone ever did anything wrong absent immediate eyewitness or documentary evidence?

You'd think no one was ever accused of anything, listening to you...

With no tracking of the sales or who is being sold to or who is selling anything, it makes it impossible to demonstrate if it was legally or illegally purchased or sold.

You can attempt to play semantics, but if you truly don't get what I am saying, you need to reread my posts and reconsider the implications.

When buying and selling weapons designed to kill, we should make sure that those selling them are doing so ethically and legally, as well as those purchasing them.

And most states don't regulate that or enforce that.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-04-2015, 01:19 PM
(14-04-2015 01:17 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 01:15 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Fine, the private sales exception that leads to illegal purchasing of firearms, including at gun shows.

That is much more specific.

Um, if it's illegal, it's not arising from a deliberate legal exception. And vice versa.

So, if I can't legally own a gun, but I purchase one from a private seller who sells it to me legally because they don't have to check my license or do a background check, that was all legal?

-Rick
14-04-2015, 01:20 PM
(14-04-2015 01:16 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  The problems are pretty obvious.

1. No cohesive and comprehensive gun laws for the 50 States. But even if all States followed Massachusetts...
2. Once a gun is sold, even by licensed firearms dealers, it isn't possible to track it or keep it out of the hands of the next generation owner.
Private sales simply make it impossible for law agencies to track a weapon and private individuals, even if motivated, do not have the resources to do background checks on other private individuals. And let's face reality, many private sales are intentionally not reported or registered.

This leaves us in the situation the US is now in, a glut of firearms in the hands of unqualified, untrained and criminal elements of society.

Exactly.

-Rick
14-04-2015, 01:20 PM
(14-04-2015 01:15 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 01:14 PM)Chas Wrote:  You are both risking federal prosecution.

How does anyone prove I did anything wrong during a private sale in a state that doesn't require any background check or license check?

Because you possess a firearm that can be tracked back to the FFL and the original purchaser by serial number.
If the FFL is not in your state and you can't show a legal sale, you're in deep yoghurt.

The penalties for this kind of crime are pretty damn severe.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-04-2015, 01:22 PM
(14-04-2015 01:20 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 01:15 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  How does anyone prove I did anything wrong during a private sale in a state that doesn't require any background check or license check?

Because you possess a firearm that can be tracked back to the FFL and the original purchaser by serial number.
If the FFL is not in your state and you can't show a legal sale, you're in deep yoghurt.

Because no one could possibly remove the serial number....

-Rick
14-04-2015, 01:23 PM
(14-04-2015 01:19 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 01:17 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Um, if it's illegal, it's not arising from a deliberate legal exception. And vice versa.

So, if I can't legally own a gun, but I purchase one from a private seller who sells it to me legally because they don't have to check my license or do a background check, that was all legal?

If you can't legally own a gun, then selling you one is illegal.

That's what those words mean, friend.

I do not think that is a very complicated idea.

... this is my signature!
14-04-2015, 01:23 PM
(14-04-2015 01:19 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 01:17 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Um, if it's illegal, it's not arising from a deliberate legal exception. And vice versa.

The sale was illegal. Why do you keep ignoring that?

14-04-2015, 01:24 PM
(14-04-2015 01:22 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 01:20 PM)Chas Wrote:  Because you possess a firearm that can be tracked back to the FFL and the original purchaser by serial number.

Because no one could possibly remove the serial number....

Which is also illegal and carries stiff penalties.

14-04-2015, 01:25 PM
(14-04-2015 01:23 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 01:19 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  So, if I can't legally own a gun, but I purchase one from a private seller who sells it to me legally because they don't have to check my license or do a background check, that was all legal?

The sale was illegal. Why do you keep ignoring that?

In all 50 states, that sale is made by the seller knowing it was illegal?

You keep ignoring that these are easy laws to bypass when they are so heterogenous. Either you don't get what is being presented to you, or you are intentionally ignoring the points raised in these scenarios.

-Rick
14-04-2015, 01:26 PM
I am glad to see that no one seems to agree that more guns means less crime though. 14 for 'no' and no yeses. Thumbsup

-Rick