Poll: Do you think more guns means less crime?
Yes
No
I did until I saw these data
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
"More Guns means Safer" the nonsensical pro-NRA argument

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-04-2015, 03:52 PM
RE: "More Guns means Safer" the nonsensical pro-NRA argument
(14-04-2015 01:34 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 01:33 PM)cjlr Wrote:  As it happens, any given act is either legal or illegal.

How easy it is to enforce that status is not, in fact, the same thing.

You do get that, right?

Indeed, and these types of illegal purchases and sales are essentially impossible to enforce given the fact that we have differences in laws thanks to arbitrary state borders.

You do get that, right?

I wonder if that's why it's called a loophole...Consider

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
14-04-2015, 03:55 PM
(14-04-2015 03:52 PM)Losty Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 01:34 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Indeed, and these types of illegal purchases and sales are essentially impossible to enforce given the fact that we have differences in laws thanks to arbitrary state borders.

You do get that, right?

I wonder if that's why it's called a loophole...Consider

No, because "reasons" Drinking Beverage

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
14-04-2015, 04:02 PM
There's this thing about crimes, in order to have committed a crime there has to be intent. If the private sale of firearms is not regulated then you can legally sell a firearm to anyone who says they have a license. You are not legally required to request and ID or a to see the license or to do a background check. So, technically the sale of a firearm to someone with no license is illegal but you can't be prosecuted for it.

It's also illegal to let someone drive your car without a license. I let someone borrow my car once and he didn't have a license, but I didn't know. I just assumed he wouldn't say he had one unless he really did. I was fined, I went to court, I said I didn't know, I didn't have to pay the fine.

You can call it a loophole or just a law that doesn't work properly I don't care.

I personally think all private sales of firearms should be illegal. You should have to go through a licensed firearms dealer to buy or sell a gun.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
14-04-2015, 04:06 PM
(14-04-2015 04:02 PM)Losty Wrote:  There's this thing about crimes, in order to have committed a crime there has to be intent. If the private sale of firearms is not regulated then you can legally sell a firearm to anyone who says they have a license. You are not legally required to request and ID or a to see the license or to do a background check. So, technically the sale of a firearm to someone with no license is illegal but you can't be prosecuted for it.

It's also illegal to let someone drive your car without a license. I let someone borrow my car once and he didn't have a license, but I didn't know. I just assumed he wouldn't say he had one unless he really did. I was fined, I went to court, I said I didn't know, I didn't have to pay the fine.

You can call it a loophole or just a law that doesn't work properly I don't care.

I personally think all private sales of firearms should be illegal. You should have to go through a licensed firearms dealer to buy or sell a gun.

I wouldn't be opposed to banning personal sales of guns. I'd also like to see nationwide requirements for a gun license.

-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
14-04-2015, 04:53 PM
(13-04-2015 03:10 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  To summarize, more guns doesn't mean safer.

True. More guns in the hands of law abiding citizens makes it much less safe for those criminals. Laugh out load

Death is a debt we all must pay.
14-04-2015, 04:58 PM
(14-04-2015 04:53 PM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  
(13-04-2015 03:10 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  To summarize, more guns doesn't mean safer.

True. More guns in the hands of law abiding citizens makes it much less safe for those criminals. Laugh out load

Hey look, another pro-NRA troll

-Rick
14-04-2015, 05:34 PM
(14-04-2015 04:58 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 04:53 PM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  True. More guns in the hands of law abiding citizens makes it much less safe for those criminals. Laugh out load

Hey look, another pro-NRA troll

The truth hurts. Drinking Beverage

Those poor criminals. http://www.al.com/news/anniston-gadsden/...ome_i.html

14-04-2015, 06:25 PM
(14-04-2015 05:34 PM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 04:58 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Hey look, another pro-NRA troll

The truth hurts. Drinking Beverage

I ain't worried about popo or the negro but there's a goddam spree of toddler killers out there that scare the shit out of me. Eyewitness accounts indicate they make all goo goo eyes and coo coo noises at you before they shoot you dead.

3-Year-Old Arizona Boy Playing with Gun Shoots and Kills Baby Brother
3-year-old accidentally shoots, kills 1-year-old
5-year-old boy finds gun, shoots baby brother in head
Kentucky Shooting: Boy, 5, Shoots And Kills 2-Year-Old Sister, Police Say
Utah boy, 2, shot and killed by 3-year-old sister
3-year-old Tenn. boy shoots little brother in head
Police: 5-year-old Missouri boy shoots, kills baby brother
Toddler accidentally shoots, kills 11-year-old sister

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 8 users Like GirlyMan's post
14-04-2015, 06:37 PM
(14-04-2015 06:25 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 05:34 PM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  The truth hurts. Drinking Beverage

I ain't worried about popo or the negro but there's a goddam spree of toddler killers out there that scare the shit out of me. Eyewitness accounts indicate they make all goo goo eyes and coo coo noises at you before they shoot you dead.

3-Year-Old Arizona Boy Playing with Gun Shoots and Kills Baby Brother
3-year-old accidentally shoots, kills 1-year-old
5-year-old boy finds gun, shoots baby brother in head
Kentucky Shooting: Boy, 5, Shoots And Kills 2-Year-Old Sister, Police Say
Utah boy, 2, shot and killed by 3-year-old sister
3-year-old Tenn. boy shoots little brother in head
Police: 5-year-old Missouri boy shoots, kills baby brother
Toddler accidentally shoots, kills 11-year-old sister

I'm not seeing your point. The actions of a few negligent parents means the rest of us shouldn't be able to protect ourselves from home invasions, carjackings, rapes, robberies etc?

14-04-2015, 06:49 PM (This post was last modified: 14-04-2015 07:26 PM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
(14-04-2015 04:06 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 04:02 PM)Losty Wrote:  There's this thing about crimes, in order to have committed a crime there has to be intent. If the private sale of firearms is not regulated then you can legally sell a firearm to anyone who says they have a license. You are not legally required to request and ID or a to see the license or to do a background check. So, technically the sale of a firearm to someone with no license is illegal but you can't be prosecuted for it.

I wouldn't be opposed to banning personal sales of guns. I'd also like to see nationwide requirements for a gun license.

Outright prohibitions rarely work. In fact, I can't think of single instance where it has worked. But it's possible I'm *not* thinking hard enough.

Requirements for a gun license are fine, but what about all the people who own guns already? What about the person who inherits a gun?

What about the person who lives in a house with guns with someone else who does have a gun license?

We found a gun in our house (in the attic) after we moved in -- we sold it to a collector, it was quite old.

My granddad had a luger he got off a German soldier, I think he gave it to a relative.

Honestly, I'm about as anti gun as they come...I don't like them and I believe I've got my own very sound reasons for no one ever needing to own one. This includes some gun tragic shit too.

But I can't suspend my feelings that any amount of gun control won't stop or prevent criminals from getting guns. It won't prevent someone who did legitimately acquire a gun (through whatever legal means) who's intent on doing themselves or others harm from doing it.

I think the biggest issue is we can't regulate stupid.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post