Poll: Do you think more guns means less crime?
Yes
No
I did until I saw these data
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
"More Guns means Safer" the nonsensical pro-NRA argument

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-04-2015, 07:33 PM
RE: "More Guns means Safer" the nonsensical pro-NRA argument
(14-04-2015 07:30 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 07:20 PM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  I posted an article from today. I could post hundreds if not thousands where a criminal was taken down buy a legal gun. There are a few websites out there that attempt to document every news article where a criminal was stopped by a firearm.

If America were to ban guns tomorrow, 100%, the only people to follow the law would be the legal gun owners. You think the criminal would turn theirs in?

How would this housewife protect herself against her rapist when he came back to rape her a second time? http://gunowner.tv/why-defend-yourself/v...ts-rapist/

Or this woman? Would she just have to let the man, armed with a knife, rape and kill her? http://gunssavelives.net/self-defense/vi...be-rapist/

Bad shit happens. I prefer it when bad shit happens to rapist home invading fucks.

Long live the 2nd Amendment.

And it appears you are missing the view that is most frightening and critically saddening in your point of view.

It's viewing "the criminal" as a good thing. It's the NRA representative saying good guys vs bad guys... as if thinking the world was actually a literally good vs evil black & white reality where it's so simply distinguishable.

What is the alternative? Pretending crime doesn't happen? Live your life and hope that you aren't a victim someday?

I choose to protect myself, just in case.

Death is a debt we all must pay.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Patriot10mm's post
14-04-2015, 07:40 PM
(14-04-2015 06:37 PM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  I'm not seeing your point. The actions of a few negligent parents means the rest of us shouldn't be able to protect ourselves from home invasions, carjackings, rapes, robberies etc?

By all accounts Veronica Rutledge was a model citizen for responsible gun ownership. She's dead nonetheless. Her killer? That's right, a toddler, her toddler. I'm telling you I'm seeing a pattern here that scares the shit outta Girly.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
14-04-2015, 07:48 PM
(14-04-2015 07:40 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 06:37 PM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  I'm not seeing your point. The actions of a few negligent parents means the rest of us shouldn't be able to protect ourselves from home invasions, carjackings, rapes, robberies etc?

By all accounts Veronica Rutledge was a model citizen for responsible gun ownership. She's dead nonetheless. Her killer? That's right, a toddler, her toddler. I'm telling you I'm seeing a pattern here that scares the shit outta Girly.

Yet, she's dead. Which makes her irresponsible. It's sad, but it was her own fault.

Death is a debt we all must pay.
14-04-2015, 07:49 PM

She left a purse containing a gun with her child unattended. How is that not negligent? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
14-04-2015, 07:52 PM
(14-04-2015 07:33 PM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 07:30 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  And it appears you are missing the view that is most frightening and critically saddening in your point of view.

It's viewing "the criminal" as a good thing. It's the NRA representative saying good guys vs bad guys... as if thinking the world was actually a literally good vs evil black & white reality where it's so simply distinguishable.

What is the alternative? Pretending crime doesn't happen? Live your life and hope that you aren't a victim someday?

I choose to protect myself, just in case.

That response is nonsensical.

In what way does saying not look at the world in black or white values lead to saying, pretending crime doesn't happen or be hopeful of safety and not taking things into ones hands.

It's simply being aware of the human nature of all of us. There's few set in stone situations of a bad person. Even those who would be fittingly diagnosed sociopaths could be of no harm. Though any person, as sane or stable as they may be could fall off into some situation where they may be as other seem to label "the bad guy." This includes me, it includes you, and most people. We are all human and change over time as we pick up new experiences, we don't know who or what will become of anyone.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
14-04-2015, 07:53 PM

Cognitive dissonance is powerful. Most people don't want to believe what their kids do when they're not watching.

You would have been scared shitless with the child development study we did when I was in college in the 80s. Parents who totally believed they had taught gun safety were appalled by what their kids did when the kids thought no one was watching. Kids are kids. Even if mommy or daddy is cop or hunter...didn't matter.

What those little darlin's did was enough to shock the complacency right out of the parents.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 5 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
14-04-2015, 08:07 PM
(14-04-2015 07:32 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 07:30 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  It's the NRA representative saying good guys vs bad guys... as if thinking the world was actually a literally good vs evil black & white reality where it's so simply distinguishable.

There are many situations where it really is that clear.

Someone breaks into my home at 3AM, someone assaults me or mine, stuff like that.

How 'bout that time your ex broke in at 3AM and was on top of you like a cat and you woke up with a gun to her head and somewhere deep inside you heard a barely awake Chas yelling "For God's sake Chuck don't do it! We'll go to jail for the rest of our lives and that's precisely what she wants!" Uh? How 'bout that time?

Seriously though. There are many examples of mistaken identity where the dude/tte was a responsible gun owner who slept with a gun next to the bed and knew how to properly retrieve and employ it in a patriot10mm emergency who was shot dead in their bed by some cops who mistook them for someone else.

#sigh
14-04-2015, 08:09 PM (This post was last modified: 14-04-2015 08:26 PM by GirlyMan.)
(14-04-2015 07:48 PM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  Yet, she's dead. Which makes her irresponsible. It's sad, but it was her own fault.

Agreed. It was her fault. She was irresponsible for carrying a gun. Indisputably. She'd still be alive if she wasn't carrying a gun. Point is she had a lifelong experience and training and respect for the proper securing and use of firearms. Model NRA citizen. Hell her Christmas present purse which ended up contributing to her death was precisely designed to avoid this very incident. If she can't elude the killer toddlers, none of us can.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
14-04-2015, 08:18 PM
The more guns there are out there in the wild, the more of them a criminal might bag when their perfectly responsible, upstanding citizen, owners weren't looking, so I was about to answer 'NO'. But after reading through the first 8 pages, I feel obligated to ask...

Are there any trustworthy statistics to be had on the level of objectivity likely to be upheld in the collation of various other sets of statistics? Hobo

14-04-2015, 08:20 PM
(14-04-2015 08:09 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 07:48 PM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  Yet, she's dead. Which makes her irresponsible. It's sad, but it was her own fault.

Agreed. It was her fault. She was irresponsible for carrying a gun. Indisputably. She'd still be alive if she wasn't carrying a gun.

Lol girly stirs the pot just to watch the storm?

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.