Poll: Do you think more guns means less crime?
Yes
No
I did until I saw these data
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
"More Guns means Safer" the nonsensical pro-NRA argument

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-04-2015, 08:21 PM (This post was last modified: 14-04-2015 08:32 PM by Chas.)
RE: "More Guns means Safer" the nonsensical pro-NRA argument
(14-04-2015 08:07 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 07:32 PM)Chas Wrote:  There are many situations where it really is that clear.

Someone breaks into my home at 3AM, someone assaults me or mine, stuff like that.

How 'bout that time your ex broke in at 3AM and was on top of you like a cat and you woke up with a gun to her head and somewhere deep inside you heard a barely awake Chas yelling "For God's sake Chuck don't do it! We'll go to jail for the rest of our lives and that's precisely what she wants!" Uh? How 'bout that time?

Lolwut?

Quote:Seriously though. There are many examples of mistaken identity where the dude/tte was a responsible gun owner who slept with a gun next to the bed and knew how to properly retrieve and employ it in a patriot10mm emergency who was shot dead in their bed by some cops who mistook them for someone else.

Not very common. Besides, the cops appear to prefer shooting the unarmed.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
14-04-2015, 08:39 PM
(14-04-2015 08:21 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 08:07 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Seriously though. There are many examples of mistaken identity where the dude/tte was a responsible gun owner who slept with a gun next to the bed and knew how to properly retrieve and employ it in a patriot10mm emergency who was shot dead in their bed by some cops who mistook them for someone else.

Not very common. ...

Statistics don't mean dick to the dead.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
14-04-2015, 08:48 PM
(14-04-2015 07:49 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 07:40 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  By all accounts Veronica Rutledge was a model citizen for responsible gun ownership. She's dead nonetheless. Her killer? That's right, a toddler, her toddler. I'm telling you I'm seeing a pattern here that scares the shit outta Girly.

She left a purse containing a gun with her child unattended. How is that not negligent? Consider

The manufacturer of the purse marketed it as a preventive measure against this very situation. They gonna get sued. Manufacturer doesn't understand how clever these killer toddler bastards are.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
14-04-2015, 08:55 PM
(14-04-2015 08:48 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Manufacturer doesn't understand how clever these killer toddler bastards are.

Laugh out load

Weeping

Heart

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 5 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
14-04-2015, 08:57 PM
In the US the cat is out if the bag.

What can anyone do about the millions of handguns (I'm leaving all other weapons out of this for the moment) already out in the populace? How many of these guns are owned legally and how many are not? How can we know? How can we get illegally held hand guns out of the hands of those people?

I've owned a hand gun for thirty years. I bought it legally from a licensed gun dealer. I suppose that somewhere out there my name is attached to the serial number of the weapon, I don't know. How do the authorities know that hand gun is still in my possession? That I haven't lost it, sold it or had it stolen? What if in the intervening years I had become mentally unstable?

They don't. At no point in those thirty years did I have to report to a police station, produce the weapon, confirm my possession of it, check to see if I was still competent to own it. Never, not once. I mention this to show just how utterly toothless our gun laws are.

We have millions of hand guns in the hands of criminals, the unstable, the incompetent and the unknowing.

I personally don't know how you fix this but accepting the status quo as unfixable should not be an option.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 5 users Like Full Circle's post
14-04-2015, 09:08 PM
(14-04-2015 08:48 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 07:49 PM)Chas Wrote:  She left a purse containing a gun with her child unattended. How is that not negligent? Consider

The manufacturer of the purse marketed it as a preventive measure against this very situation. They gonna get sued. Manufacturer doesn't understand how clever these killer toddler bastards are.

No, it's not designed for that.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
14-04-2015, 09:17 PM (This post was last modified: 14-04-2015 09:32 PM by GirlyMan.)
(14-04-2015 09:08 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 08:48 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  The manufacturer of the purse marketed it as a preventive measure against this very situation. They gonna get sued. Manufacturer doesn't understand how clever these killer toddler bastards are.

No, it's not designed for that.

Oh my dear fuck. That seems even worse.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
15-04-2015, 06:09 AM
(14-04-2015 08:57 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  In the US the cat is out if the bag.

What can anyone do about the millions of handguns (I'm leaving all other weapons out of this for the moment) already out in the populace? How many of these guns are owned legally and how many are not? How can we know? How can we get illegally held hand guns out of the hands of those people?

I've owned a hand gun for thirty years. I bought it legally from a licensed gun dealer. I suppose that somewhere out there my name is attached to the serial number of the weapon, I don't know. How do the authorities know that hand gun is still in my possession? That I haven't lost it, sold it or had it stolen? What if in the intervening years I had become mentally unstable?

They don't. At no point in those thirty years did I have to report to a police station, produce the weapon, confirm my possession of it, check to see if I was still competent to own it. Never, not once. I mention this to show just how utterly toothless our gun laws are.

We have millions of hand guns in the hands of criminals, the unstable, the incompetent and the unknowing.

I personally don't know how you fix this but accepting the status quo as unfixable should not be an option.

If you live in a state that has handgun registration - then your state maintains that record.

If you live in a state that does not have handgun registration - the ATF form 4473 that you filled out when buying the handgun was kept at the FFL dealer who sold you the gun. It was NOT transmitted or sent to the federal government. The ATF has NO record of your handgun - and ONLY a search of the gunshop it was purchased from can give them that information.

Same goes for a NICS check -- NO information except "long gun or hand gun" goes to NICS. The make, model and serial numbers are NOT used in a NICS check..

You can take that info to the bank. I've worked in an gun shop and have sold thousands of handguns and rifles.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
15-04-2015, 07:29 AM
(14-04-2015 07:02 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 03:55 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  No, because "reasons" Drinking Beverage

No, because actual reasons - like the definition of 'loophole'.

loop·hole
ˈlo͞opˌ(h)ōl/Submit
noun
an ambiguity or inadequacy in the law or a set of rules.

It. Is. A. Loophole. Because it is an inadequacy in the law to have that many state level laws that can be easily bypassed.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
15-04-2015, 08:43 AM
(15-04-2015 06:09 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  If you live in a state that has handgun registration - then your state maintains that record.

If you live in a state that does not have handgun registration - the ATF form 4473 that you filled out when buying the handgun was kept at the FFL dealer who sold you the gun. It was NOT transmitted or sent to the federal government. The ATF has NO record of your handgun - and ONLY a search of the gunshop it was purchased from can give them that information.

Same goes for a NICS check -- NO information except "long gun or hand gun" goes to NICS. The make, model and serial numbers are NOT used in a NICS check..

You can take that info to the bank. I've worked in an gun shop and have sold thousands of handguns and rifles.

That shop has long since closed down. What happened to that info?
This was in Florida. If Florida has a handgun registration then you are saying that info resides in State records somewhere correct?

If Florida (or any State without handgun registration) does not have state registration is that information gone?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce