Poll: Do you think more guns means less crime?
Yes
No
I did until I saw these data
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
"More Guns means Safer" the nonsensical pro-NRA argument

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-04-2015, 10:52 AM
RE: "More Guns means Safer" the nonsensical pro-NRA argument
(18-04-2015 07:14 AM)abaris Wrote:  This site carries the number of guns in each individual country, the ownership laws and the number of people being killed by guns.

http://www.gunpolicy.org/

Turns out the countries with the most guns also have the highest gun related death rates.

What a surprise Drinking Beverage

The only thing higher gun numbers equal is higher gun deaths who'd have thunk it.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-04-2015, 11:37 AM
(18-04-2015 10:52 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(18-04-2015 07:14 AM)abaris Wrote:  This site carries the number of guns in each individual country, the ownership laws and the number of people being killed by guns.

http://www.gunpolicy.org/

Turns out the countries with the most guns also have the highest gun related death rates.

What a surprise Drinking Beverage

The only thing higher gun numbers equal is higher gun deaths who'd have thunk it.
In America, 2/3 of the gun deaths are suicide, a fact often ignored by people pushing gun death stats.

The U.K. banned guns yet their suicide rate is 11.9 per 100,000. That isn't significantly lower than America's 12.6 per 100,000.

People have no way to protect themselves in the U.K. and criminals routinely beat the hell out of whoever they want. Although they have low gun violence, their overall violent crime rate is 8 times higher than America.

Death is a debt we all must pay.
[+] 1 user Likes Patriot10mm's post
18-04-2015, 12:16 PM
I've heard people actually say that if there were fewer guns, less people would commit suicide......

I guess they never saw a tall building...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
18-04-2015, 01:29 PM
(18-04-2015 11:37 AM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  In America, 2/3 of the gun deaths are suicide, a fact often ignored by people pushing gun death stats.

The U.K. banned guns yet their suicide rate is 11.9 per 100,000. That isn't significantly lower than America's 12.6 per 100,000.

People have no way to protect themselves in the U.K. and criminals routinely beat the hell out of whoever they want. Although they have low gun violence, their overall violent crime rate is 8 times higher than America.

So dead is dead, wether it's sui- or homicide.

And what's your data for criminals routinely beating the hell out of whoever they want in the UK. Source please.
18-04-2015, 02:08 PM
(18-04-2015 01:29 PM)abaris Wrote:  
(18-04-2015 11:37 AM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  In America, 2/3 of the gun deaths are suicide, a fact often ignored by people pushing gun death stats.

So dead is dead, wether it's sui- or homicide.

And what's your data for criminals routinely beating the hell out of whoever they want in the UK. Source please.

There were 1.9m violent incidents in England and Wales in 2012-13, with just over one in fifty adults victimised, according to the latest figures from the Crime Survey for England and Wales (CSEW), released today.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog...wales-2013

One in fifty??? Doesn't sound "safe" to me....

Plus -- England doesn't have the same number of urban populations that the US does -- and considering those urban areas skew the numbers upwards - it's hard to get a really good comparison.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
18-04-2015, 02:17 PM
more --

The key facts are:

• The US has the highest gun ownership rate in the world - an average of 88 per 100 people. That puts it first in the world for gun ownership - and even the number two country, Yemen, has significantly fewer - 54.8 per 100 people
But the US does not have the worst firearm murder rate - that prize belongs to Honduras, El Salvador and Jamaica. In fact, the US is number 28, with a rate of 2.97 per 100,000 people
• Puerto Rico tops the world's table for firearms murders as a percentage of all homicides - 94.8%. It's followed by Sierra Leone in Africa and Saint Kitts and Nevis in the Caribbean

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog...world-list

19-04-2015, 12:54 PM
A gun in hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Death is a debt we all must pay.
19-04-2015, 01:37 PM
Only thing to say is to each their own. If i had it my way guns would be gone. However if people want to do it the easy way so be it,guns in america dont concern me. I don't need a gun as i just run or fight, depending on distnace.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
19-04-2015, 02:22 PM
If I had it my way civilization would disappear and I'd either be having sex in my teepee or hunting mammoths. But since that's not gonna happen, I learn stuff that's practical within the context of modern civilization.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
19-04-2015, 03:42 PM (This post was last modified: 19-04-2015 03:46 PM by GirlyMan.)

Some 80-90% of first-attempt suicide survivors eventually die of something other than suicide. More than 95% of suicide-by-gun do not survive the first attempt.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus