Poll: Do you think more guns means less crime?
Yes
No
I did until I saw these data
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
"More Guns means Safer" the nonsensical pro-NRA argument

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-04-2015, 11:28 PM
RE: "More Guns means Safer" the nonsensical pro-NRA argument
(19-04-2015 09:32 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(19-04-2015 08:00 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I don't know your stance on suicide rights, ...

It's the only truly inalienable right we have.

Then complaining that guns are efficacious seems a little disingenuous, imo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
20-04-2015, 06:44 AM
(19-04-2015 07:39 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  All very good points. Part of my point I might stress is that most people these days in America do have guns. At least the majority does in some way or another.

I don't think that is true. About 1/3 of Americans own guns.

Quote:The thing is, just giving people more guns is not going to solve anything because they all don't carry them around. My point was that if they did start carrying them around with just the numbers we did today, gun crimes would increase, not decrease.

First, probably many more people than you realize carry a firearm.

Second, violent crime rates have fallen in every jurisdiction that implemented a right to carry law.
This is not to assert causation, but to point out that your assertion is incorrect.

Quote:So the right wing NRA nuts who think that it would decrease and keep em safe from da government are wrong. Because too many people have guns imo, but no one actually uses them or carries them for defense.

But people do carry them and use them for defense.

Quote:Most people just want a shotgun for home protection or a hunting rifle. I believe this is as far as guns should go for civilians. A gun that can never leave your home unless transported for repair or another home purpose and a hunting rifle.

What about shooting sports like trap or skeet?

Quote:There really is no real reason to carry anything else. If some maniac charges in a theater shooting people with a machine gun,

Which has never actually happened.

Quote:I highly doubt a guy with a pistol is going to become some super soldier and immediately start shooting back and gun down the guy Halo or call of duty style and save anyone in the theater.

And I think you are wrong. Someone who carries a weapon is quite likely to use it in that situation.

Quote:There just is no reason to have anything outside of what you need for hunting and maybe one piece for your home. That is pretty much it. Anything else is useless and will just end up making more crime imo.

The facts do not bear out your opinion.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
20-04-2015, 10:49 AM
(19-04-2015 11:28 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(19-04-2015 09:32 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  It's the only truly inalienable right we have.

Then complaining that guns are efficacious seems a little disingenuous, imo.

Don't see how stating stats amounts to complaining. The only problem I have with suicide-by-gun is that it seems rather inconsiderate to leave a big mess behind for someone else to clean up. Nitrogen exit bag on the other hand is clean, quick, painless, even more effective than guns, and undetectable in an autopsy. No muss, no fuss and no excuse for the insurance company not to pay.

#sigh
20-04-2015, 11:31 AM
Bet you money that it IS detectable - if you're looking for it.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
20-04-2015, 11:40 AM
(20-04-2015 11:31 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Bet you money that it IS detectable - if you're looking for it.

I'd take that bet. Helium, argon, or neon found in the lungs would be noted in an autopsy finding but the presence of nitrogen would be expected and unremarkable.

#sigh
20-04-2015, 11:49 AM
Sure -- but the lack of oxygen is sort of a dead giveaway, huh????

And that DOES show up...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
20-04-2015, 11:55 AM
My life insurance covers suicide, so I could theoretically make it as messy as I wanted Tongue. Not that I plan on doing so, just saying.

'Murican Canadian
20-04-2015, 11:58 AM
(20-04-2015 11:49 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Sure -- but the lack of oxygen is sort of a dead giveaway, huh????

And that DOES show up...

My read on it, and I ain't no expert, is that death results so quickly (you're out in 10-20 seconds and dead in 3-4 minutes) that there is not sufficient time to noticeably alter the postmortem nitrogen/oxygen lung tissue ratio. From all appearances you just dropped dead.

#sigh
20-04-2015, 12:02 PM
(20-04-2015 11:55 AM)yakherder Wrote:  My life insurance covers suicide, so I could theoretically make it as messy as I wanted Tongue. Not that I plan on doing so, just saying.

Mine too. But what wifey would lose is the Accidental Death and Dismemberment benefit because it's not an accident.

#sigh
20-04-2015, 12:08 PM
Perhaps, but the burial is cheaper if everything that's left fits into a plastic bag.

'Murican Canadian