More Mystery From the Merchants of Mystery

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-08-2015, 12:42 PM
RE: More Mystery From the Merchants of Mystery
(08-08-2015 12:21 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(08-08-2015 12:14 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  God's filled in the blanks for many people.

Let's look at ancient Egypt for example.

Normally the Pharaoh was considered a god incarnate. He was given credit for making the sun rise and set. If it rained, so they could have crops. And who would get to go into the after life. Since these gods had control over important these aspects of their world, people tended to want to survive. The only way to get these things was to make offerings. Weather it was a blood sacrifice, personal sacrifice, or praise.

Or it threw false association.
"Hey I did this dance and it rained. So who ever controls the rain must like this dance. So the more I do it the more it will rain."

In a way gods where working for us. We felt that would made a deal with whatever god you wanted a favor from. Want love pay tidings to Hathor and she will give it to you. What a to win a battle make a sacrifice to Horus. Greeks did the same thing with Venus, Mars, Zues etc.

YHWH is no different. The old testament talks about offerings to YHWH all the time. You have to do _______ to make me happy and I will give you _________. Cain and Abel is the first one to pop to mind. A burnt lamb offering, and a grain offering. Or the Burnt offering Noah did (just after he "saved" all the fucking animals) when the waters reseeded. YHWH loves blood. Even Jesus blood.

So my point I'm trying to make is it's more of a transaction deal. We have to give something to the God and it in return gives us something we ask for. Gods are held to a higher position because they have/had something we needed.

Good points. The whole idea of sacrifice was to appease the gods. The death of Jesus appeased God for all of us awful sinners.

And then the first con man came along.........

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
08-08-2015, 12:54 PM
I think it's quite simple.

The first religions started when man saw hurricanes, volcanoes, earthquakes and tidal waves and thought "well, that shit is scary and I don't understand it." Something that was so powerful and destructive could only be some supernatural being that rules the world.
Thus, people started trying to make said being happy so as not to have natural disasters.

Christianity, as all religions, stems from those first cults so it's natural that it too has traces of the whole "need to serve gods or die" business.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 4 users Like undergroundp's post
08-08-2015, 12:54 PM

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
08-08-2015, 01:03 PM
In case any of you haven't seen "The Invention of Lying", you should. It's about atheism... or more specifically, even though they downplayed it in the trailers so people would actually go see it, it's about how religion was created.

Not a huuuge fan of Ricky Gervais, but he has his moments. Smile

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
08-08-2015, 03:56 PM
(08-08-2015 09:43 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  Where did the notion that man should serve god come from?

As a self-interested human species we should I think have evolved a notion that god should serve mankind, not its inverse. But the prevailing theme in the monotheistic religions is that inverse - that we exist to serve the god, that our sole purpose is to serve the god. How did that come about?

It's particularly baffling when religion's principal implement, prayer, is never used to help the god, it's always invoked to try to get the god to do something man wants, to serve man. THAT is in accord with what a self-interested species would do, but why pretend its opposite?

It's hopeless to expect a theist to answer this, but only a theist can answer it. I guess, like a god, it will always be a mystery.

Priests created the God concept.

God is a sock puppet for priests.

The people serve god, and voila! they serve the priest.Thumbsup

It's as obvious as the nose on your face.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Mark Fulton's post
08-08-2015, 05:16 PM
(08-08-2015 03:56 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  God is a sock puppet for priests.

This needs to be your signature line. Great quotation! Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
08-08-2015, 07:31 PM
(08-08-2015 12:54 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  I think it's quite simple.

The first religions started when man saw hurricanes, volcanoes, earthquakes and tidal waves and thought "well, that shit is scary and I don't understand it." Something that was so powerful and destructive could only be some supernatural being that rules the world.
Thus, people started trying to make said being happy so as not to have natural disasters.

Christianity, as all religions, stems from those first cults so it's natural that it too has traces of the whole "need to serve gods or die" business.

Yep - Ra/Sun - probably the first big thing in "worship, or else".

Everything starts out simple. Then, some asshole comes along and wants control of it or people who use it and then, everything goes to shit.

I still have no problem with people who worship Ra. Shy

Hey, one day Ra will burn us all - That is a FACT!

Check mate, atheists! Thumbsup

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 4 users Like kim's post
08-08-2015, 09:09 PM
It turns out that it's a cookbook:

[Image: to_serve_man-going-into-ufo11.jpg]

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
09-08-2015, 02:10 AM
(08-08-2015 12:26 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  [Image: th?id=JN.VKBEkF9%2f4yhJdyt46TauGQ&am...mp;amp;P=0]

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

This one is easy to understand, honorable (to a degree) and generous with boons. Also honest. No bullshit about saving their souls Wink

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
09-08-2015, 01:13 PM
(08-08-2015 09:43 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  Where did the notion that man should serve god come from?

As a self-interested human species we should I think have evolved a notion that god should serve mankind, not its inverse. But the prevailing theme in the monotheistic religions is that inverse - that we exist to serve the god, that our sole purpose is to serve the god. How did that come about?

It's particularly baffling when religion's principal implement, prayer, is never used to help the god, it's always invoked to try to get the god to do something man wants, to serve man. THAT is in accord with what a self-interested species would do, but why pretend its opposite?

It's hopeless to expect a theist to answer this, but only a theist can answer it. I guess, like a god, it will always be a mystery.

It goes both ways. God serves us, we serve God. He serves us more than we serve Him.

If God doesn't serve us He can not have fullness of joy, He can not have eternal progression. Thus He can not be God.

If we do not serve God we can not become like Him. If we can not become like Him we can not have fullness of joy, we can not have eternal progression. If we can not have fullness of joy and eternal progression we can not become Gods.

So, when we serve God we serve ourselves first and then others.
When God serves us He also serves Himself.

There is a covenant between a man and God. Covenant is contract. It is important for both God and man.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED