More Omegle madness

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-08-2015, 09:49 AM
RE: More Omegle madness
(08-08-2015 09:35 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(08-08-2015 08:54 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  Maybe "feel" was a little strong or an exaggeration for impact, but I meant they sense their surroundings and they can hear when they are being eaten and put up defenses to protect themselves.

https://vimeo.com/99635253

Didn't realize THAT would be what everyone would react to from this post.

To quote Spock, fascinating. I'm not sure I'd call it "hearing" except in a very loose sense though. That seems to be jumping the gun since I see a difference between reacting to vibrations and interpreting those vibrations as sounds. It will be interesting to see what the mechanism is that allows the plants to react to the vibrations and if it really is comparable to hearing.

Yeah, the study said "hear" in its headline, etc., probably for effect.

At least plants are a "less hairy species" now. I'd hate to have to eat hairy vegetables, though I guess peaches must be a less evolved version of a nectarine with all the fuzz.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-08-2015, 10:06 AM
(08-08-2015 07:42 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(08-08-2015 04:59 AM)Chas Wrote:  "Vegetation can feel things; they are living things, we are related to them."

How, without a nervous system, can vegetation feel things? Consider

I don't know, but a plant knows whether it's location is giving it what it needs and if that can be remedied by growth habit, it will change it's normal growth habit to improve it's situation. You can see that all the time in trees growing crooked to catch sun or plants growing "leggy" (tall and skinny) and such. So there is some sort of cognition based on sensing things... Watching plants is one of my hobbies as I have gardens and while I have no idea what makes them tick, there is definitely a recognition of beneficial and detrimental situations and there are attempts to remedy things. As gardener, I notice these things and, if warranted, I respond by moving the plant to a better spot.

I have lots of stories of plants clearly reacting to their environment, I find watching this interesting. How do they sense things and how do they decide how to react? No idea. But they quite obviously do.

There is no cognition, there are chemicals.

For example, a plant produces the hormone auxin, elongating the cells differentially to grow towards the sun.

There is plenty of literature on how plants function.

Phototropism

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-08-2015, 10:33 AM
(08-08-2015 10:06 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-08-2015 07:42 AM)Dom Wrote:  I don't know, but a plant knows whether it's location is giving it what it needs and if that can be remedied by growth habit, it will change it's normal growth habit to improve it's situation. You can see that all the time in trees growing crooked to catch sun or plants growing "leggy" (tall and skinny) and such. So there is some sort of cognition based on sensing things... Watching plants is one of my hobbies as I have gardens and while I have no idea what makes them tick, there is definitely a recognition of beneficial and detrimental situations and there are attempts to remedy things. As gardener, I notice these things and, if warranted, I respond by moving the plant to a better spot.

I have lots of stories of plants clearly reacting to their environment, I find watching this interesting. How do they sense things and how do they decide how to react? No idea. But they quite obviously do.

There is no cognition, there are chemicals.

For example, a plant produces the hormone auxin, elongating the cells differentially to grow towards the sun.

There is plenty of literature on how plants function.

Phototropism

Ok, that does explain the reaction to light.

What about the other examples and the clip?

Quote:There is no cognition

I don't agree or disagree. I don't know.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user